Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Israel summer family trip. What will I be able to do?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:52 am
We have BH gone with the family for the past few summers and would love to go back. It is a big expense and I want to have some ideas of what we would be able to do if the matzav has Chas veshalom not improved by then. If course just being in yerushalayim is beautiful, but we can't just sit around all day.

What are some places that we can plan to visit even while the matzav is as it is now?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:55 am
Right now anything except the far north and the Gaza envelope. Regular North like Tsfat and Teveria is fine, regular South like Beer Sheva and Mitzpeh Ramon is fine.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:58 am
Thanks! What's if it's Chas veshalom worse? Like what if I have to stay more local in yerushalayim? We've already done kosel tunnel tours and the old city tours.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:05 am
I don't know ages of your kids but here are some things we've done and enjoyed (not all in yerushalayim but all within an hour drive so still in center)

Magic Kass
Kiftzuba
Tomo candy
Pantry packers
Gan sacher park
Eretz bereshit
Segways
Mini israel
Zoo/aquarium

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:08 am
Thanks! Oh right. Forgot to mention. Only older teens. No little kids.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:32 am
Beit Guvrin
Israel Museum
Machane Yehudah

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:37 am
Gan sacher is nice- even for older kids.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:49 am
Following!

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:13 am
Following

amother
Coral

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:28 am
The gush is close to yerushalayim.

Eretz ayalim
Jeeping
The gush museum video
Tzomet museum
Herodian

Near rbs
Wine factory tour can't rem the name

Yerushalayim
Pantry packers

Rechovot
Bullet factory

Tel Aviv
Seeing eye dog facilities tour

Blind museum

Just some ideas

amother
Dill

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:25 am
- Hertzliya has great boating options
- There are fun fruit picking places (one that's coming to mind is grape picking at ענבי טלי) near Beit Shemesh, and there are lots of fun hiking options in that area too - both hiking and caving.
- As of now Beit She'an area is safe, you can do Gan Garoo and Nachal Kibbutzim there.
- Elite Chocolate Factory in Netzrat Illit
- There are many areas in the south that are safe, not near Gaza. Amazing hikes.
- You can always do jeeping, segway, etc, anywhere.
- Yerushalayim and the general area has some great museums.
- Packaging food for Yad Eliezer
- Kivrei Tzaddikim are all over the country
- If your budget allows, having a tour guide come along makes the whole trip way more interesting and engaging.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:41 am
If your kids like museums, some that come to mind are
Latrun
Air force museum in beer sheva
Science museum in beer sheva

There are also other museums around Yerushalayim and elsewhere. My kids enjoyed the Begin Museum. I don't know if you already visited Ir David. Israel Museum should be interesting.

If they like hiking/nature there is no shortage of amazing trails all around the country. Try to choose water hikes for the summer or go in later afternoon or first thing in the morning

Beach

Most cities in Israel have their own history, interesting things to see, so you can spending the day in each of various cities and just explore. Netanya, Caesaria, Herzliya, Beer Sheva, Teverya, Haifa, Zichron Yaakov. Personally I would avoid Tzfat at the moment just to be on the safe side, no idea what it'll be like in the summer.

There are many interesting workshops, Breads of the Beit Hamikdash for example, but also glass blowing, wood, etc.

Finally, if you have boys, you can consider making a schedule with them learning for half the day and then doing a trip, and let your ternage girls sleep in or do something else in the mornings?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:39 am
Maale adumim tour was really interesting

That place that you sift though dumpsters of sand etc to find artifacts from hundreds of years ago. A little girl found a really old coin from the times of the bais hamikdash....

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:10 am
amother Mustard wrote:

That place that you sift though dumpsters of sand etc to find artifacts from hundreds of years ago. A little girl found a really old coin from the times of the bais hamikdash....

This is the Temple Mount Sifting project! Very fun and near the University campus.

We highly recommend this!

DVOM

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:33 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
This is the Temple Mount Sifting project! Very fun and near the University campus.

We highly recommend this!

This sounds perfect for my family!

We did Dig for a Day at Tel Maresha last year, and one of my boys found a carved ivory disk that the archaeologist thought might be either part of a game or jewelry. All the other archaeologists came running.... It was so exciting. My kids also really enjoyed crawling through the caves at Maresha.

Is the location of the Temple Mount Sifting project safe? I have a vague memory of looking into it years ago and being worried about security.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:51 am
I can definitely use some of these ideas and I hope others are benefitting as well! Thanks so much and please keep the ideas coming!

patzer

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:02 am
I once visited a beautiful stalactites cave in Israel; I don't remember the location but I don't think it was far from Yerushalayim. I would highly recommend it; it's well worth visiting.

DrMom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:08 am
You can go rappelling down the walls of the Old City:
https://www.funinjerusalem.com/rappelling/

librarygirl

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:15 am
I hope there won't be a need but get on a whatsapp group for volunteers in Israel and you'll be busy all day. Fruit picking, tzitzis tying, Challah baking, idf bbq, beef jerky etc.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:27 am
The stalactite cave is called מערת הנטיפים and is in the Beit Shemesh area.

Kever Shmuel Hanavi is a great trip - besides for the kever itself, there is a park with a BBQ area behind, an incredible 360 degree view of Yerushalayim from the roof, and an archeological area.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics