Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do u assume ppl turn off their phones @ nite?
Previous  1  2

Is it rude to text late at night?
It's fine, ppl shd know to use do not disturb  
 46%  [ 82 ]
I wd never, s/o may forget & you'll wake them  
 16%  [ 28 ]
No, don't.  
 10%  [ 18 ]
It's fine, everyone does.  
 12%  [ 22 ]
Only if very important, write urself a note!  
 10%  [ 18 ]
Other (please explain!)  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 175

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:56 am
Well, depending who. If it's a family member or friend I would text any time, knowing that most people shut their phones. If it's someone professional, say a colleague, principal, teacher, I wouldn't, even if I knew they had their phones shut. Unless it's an emergency.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:07 am
I assume people mute their notifications at night.
I send any non professional text whenever needed.
I would not text professionally (business, medical etc...) unless it was extremely important.
I'm a sheitelmacher and I think it's strange for clients to text at 3am. But sometimes they'll put a disclaimer- not urgent but I'm afraid I'll forget later. That I can understand.

zaq

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:18 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Isn’t that the whole point of text? Send it when you want/remember and they respond at their own convenience.

Exactly. I text when I think of something. If I wait till later, I'll forget.

hodeez

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:20 am
I would write it up as a draft and then send in the morning

nicole81

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:29 am
I generally text late and I keep my phone on dnd (all day long usually... Really good way to not get bogged down by feeling constantly on call) but I wouldn't text someone in a professional setting like a work colleague (unless we were super friendly and it wasn't about work) or a therapist/doctor until the morning. Same for professional emails, I may write them at 3am, but I time them for the morning.

But friends I'll text til around 1 and I receive texts similarly. I don't do texts though between around 1-5am bc that just seems weird to me. Nothing is that important at that hour to text about.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:34 am
I am so surprised that nobody commented about using the scheduled text feature. I use it very often when I remember I need to text something to someone and I can schedule it for the morning at the time that I want the text to send. Write the text and press the plus sign and it gives the options (I mean at least on my phone. )

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:42 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I am so surprised that nobody commented about using the scheduled text feature. I use it very often when I remember I need to text something to someone and I can schedule it for the morning at the time that I want the text to send. Write the text and press the plus sign and it gives the options (I mean at least on my phone. )

Not everyone has smart phone with this feature…

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 12:46 am
I scheduled send professional texts, but I'll send texts to family and friends at all hours. Everyone should have dnd mode set at night.

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:33 am
I try not to send messages too late at night because I think it's discourteous and what if they forgot to set their sleep mode. I am especially careful with older people who may not be as up to date with technology such as filtering only important calls at times. I like the schedule messages feature on texts and emails, have not figured out if it's possible on Whatsapp but it really should be.

However, if I do slip up - lost track of time and didn't think about the fact that just because I'm still up doesn't mean others are - I don't feel too guilty because if they really didn't want to be bothered then they should have silenced their notifications.

I once had an urgent situation in middle of the night so I posted on a WhatsApp group for help (big group, maybe someone would be up) and got a message from the admin that I'm being kicked out of the group because you're not allowed to post in middle of the night. First of all it had simply slipped my mind, it was the kind of thing where you discover in middle of the night that your kid ran out of a medication they need first thing in the morning before you can get to a pharmacy and you might not think to check the time before posting. And secondly, all my large groups are on mute all the time because how else can you live?! Ugh.

JasmineDragon

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:43 am
seeker wrote:
I once had an urgent situation in middle of the night so I posted on a WhatsApp group for help (big group, maybe someone would be up) and got a message from the admin that I'm being kicked out of the group because you're not allowed to post in middle of the night. First of all it had simply slipped my mind, it was the kind of thing where you discover in middle of the night that your kid ran out of a medication they need first thing in the morning before you can get to a pharmacy and you might not think to check the time before posting. And secondly, all my large groups are on mute all the time because how else can you live?! Ugh.

That's so weird - is the group for one area specifically? So many of my groups have people from the US and Israel, so the middle of the night for some is a perfectly reasonable time of day for others. Even if it is a local group, no middle of the night posting is a weird rule. None of my groups have that rule (and I agree that people keep them muted). It's also a bit harsh to kick someone out without first warning them about the rule they broke.

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 2:51 am
JasmineDragon wrote:
That's so weird - is the group for one area specifically? So many of my groups have people from the US and Israel, so the middle of the night for some is a perfectly reasonable time of day for others. Even if it is a local group, no middle of the night posting is a weird rule. None of my groups have that rule (and I agree that people keep them muted). It's also a bit harsh to kick someone out without first warning them about the rule they broke.

To be fair, it was a warning - they said it harshly but they did not actually remove me.

But yeah I understand the reason for the rule because if someone forgets to turn their sound off it could be disruptive, but also hello get with the times. And if someone posts that they discovered at midnight that they're out of something important they need for the morning, let them ask for help without getting uptight about it.

Whatever.

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 4:08 am
We have two chayalim so my phone is on 24/7, literally, in case of an emergency. I have all my whatsapp chats muted for this reason. I have my Tzofar app (red alerts) set to override silent mode because my kids are all over the country. So that wakes me up once almost every night.

Since we have extended family overseas so I keep everything muted. My phone ringer turns off every night too, so that helps.

singleagain

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 6:01 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:

singleagain wrote:
Many phones/message apps have scheduled option. So you can set it up for your test to be sent at 8.52 am

The only reason I don't text is if I don't want them to know I was up at 3am. Otherwise I text

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:30 am
I hate when people send me texts in middle of the night. I don’t shut my phone as I have older kids in dorms, in Israel, and I’m terrified of them not being able to reach me. Maybe I’m less sophisticated but I don’t know how to shut sound for texts and not for phone calls so I get it all and I do get woken up from random texts and I find it so rude.

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:35 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I hate when people send me texts in middle of the night. I don’t shut my phone as I have older kids in dorms, in Israel, and I’m terrified of them not being able to reach me. Maybe I’m less sophisticated but I don’t know how to shut sound for texts and not for phone calls so I get it all and I do get woken up from random texts and I find it so rude.

Should be in your phone settings. The same way it's set to, say, beep for a text while playing music for a phone call, it can be set to silent or vibrate for a text and ring for call.

Though that would be annoying to do nightly. Most phones also have a shortcut to this kind of setting (e.g. do not disturb mode, which you can set to allow calls but not other things) but I'm imagining the most basic old fashioned flip phone scenario.

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:39 am
I thought you were asking about calling.
I would not call at night, and I would avoid sending messages, but sometimes it happens.
I myself have no alert for messages, I don't find it useful. Therefore incoming messages would not wake me up at night. If I knew someone had an alarm and is turning it off at night, I would not send messages. But sometimes I tend to think that others are like me, so it can happen that I send a message at night.

amother
Birch

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 7:43 am
I think it's bad manners to text/ call late and so I don't do it.

At the same time, if you leave your phone on near you when you go to bed you don't really have any right to be irritated by someone sending a text.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:00 am
People my age (early 20s), yes. I assume they turn off notifications. Older, like my parents age, no. I know some consider it rude. Unless they frequently text me at night, then I assume it’s fine.

seeker

Post Wed, May 22 2024, 8:12 am
@ those recommending scheduled messages, is there a way to do that on Whatsapp? Because that's where most of my contacts send and receive messages and I haven't found this option. And it also erases drafted messages if you don't send them soon enough. Sometimes if it's important enough I send a message to myself and forward it to the intended party in the morning but I wish I could schedule automatically.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette