Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is it worth moving from Boro Park to Staten Island?
Previous  1  2

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:33 pm
whats the price range for houses. I would be interested in a three floor house with 3-4 bedrooms on second floor.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:44 pm
amother Peony wrote:
I moved here this past year first of all it’s a real community nothing like knowing your Neibhor’s really care. I love my big house would have never happened in BP. We have guest here now all the time it’s so nice. The light the sunsets here are unreal. There is a lot going on for stay at home moms. Challah bakes at least 1x a month many times more. There is a marriage series every tues dance every Thursday parenting class as a few basketball games. In the summer there is pool groups every day. I love how most embrace the most more simple life. In general it’s a very thrifty mindset here. There are 2 chasdush boys chediur for under 9. There is a girls school I think until 4th grade. My 5 year old is out from 8:30-5:30 but she lovees the bus . They make good friends on the bus. The amount of rides giving is unreal. We never leave without passing the hitch spot. They built a new Shulman Mannor heights that is huge and stunning. My hub and loves it he says even if we win the lottery he is never moving. It’s easy to open an in home business. Thr men have wend night leaving group. I don’t drive yet trying to learn

I moved from BP three years ago and I completely agree with the above poster. I drive so that really helps a lot. My kids get a lot of rides BH there is a ton of chessed in that aspect. There is an amazing sense of community and belonging here. Most women are really friendly. It’s very spacious, quiet and very calm and relaxing. There are two grocery stores. One is a huge supermarket. They both have everything- meat and fish included as well as challos and fresh baked goods daily. (Even sushi..)

Yes it’s definitely not as convenient as BP. And the traveling for the kids to school can be hard but overall I’m really enjoying it. BH. It really depends on what you’re looking for.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:56 pm
I don't live there but I know a few ppl well who do and everything is wonderful as long as things are routine. The hard part is coming in for simchas, managing high school girls who need to stay late for practice or whatever in bp schools and getting calls from sick kids in school.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:33 am
My parents moved there from BP nearly ten years ago. I was just starting out highschool.
It was probably the biggest adjustment for myself from the entire family, and still wouldn't have exchanged it for anything.
My best friends are not from high school, but my neighborhood friends.
At this point, your kids would probably have friends from school in town, so that wouldn't even be such an adjustment for them.

Echo, the bus was one of the funnest parts!!
If your kids are young enough, sanz cheder and bnos chaya are both great choices.

Then, there's neighborhood. Very very important if not moving to Willowbrook (which is Jewish on every block), to do your research and make sure that there are Jewish neighbors on your block.
It is a real community feel.
I agree with going for Shabbos, because that is what builds the community. Check out the shuls. That would make a big difference in the neighborhood you choose to live in.

Regarding driving: there is a shuttle, there is a hitch spot in BP and in SI. There are chats for rides. It's so much easier these days than it was when I lived there. (I moved abroad when I got married, otherwise, I probably would live there.)

These days, there are two supermarkets. There are two pizza places. There is a children's shoe store. Baby clothing store. Plus size clothing store. There's so much more, I can't think of it off the top of my head.

The main thing to keep in mind: where you live, your community, and the size of your house won't make you happy. If you're looking for happiness, this move is not going to do it. If you're looking to improve your quality of life, go for it! You'll get so much more than that.
And again, you can always move back.
Hatzlacha in your decision:)

emee2

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:05 am
amother Peony wrote:
I moved here this past year first of all it’s a real community nothing like knowing your Neibhor’s really care. I love my big house would have never happened in BP. We have guest here now all the time it’s so nice. The light the sunsets here are unreal. There is a lot going on for stay at home moms. Challah bakes at least 1x a month many times more. There is a marriage series every tues dance every Thursday parenting class as a few basketball games. In the summer there is pool groups every day. I love how most embrace the most more simple life. In general it’s a very thrifty mindset here. There are 2 chasdush boys chediur for under 9. There is a girls school I think until 4th grade. My 5 year old is out from 8:30-5:30 but she lovees the bus . They make good friends on the bus. The amount of rides giving is unreal. We never leave without passing the hitch spot. They built a new Shulman Mannor heights that is huge and stunning. My hub and loves it he says even if we win the lottery he is never moving. It’s easy to open an in home business. Thr men have wend night leaving group. I don’t drive yet trying to learn

Can you tell more about the schools in SI? What grades? What chassidus?

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:08 am
emee2 wrote:
Can you tell more about the schools in SI? What grades? What chassidus?

RJJ - community school, not chassidish, through 8th grade - separate schools boys and girls
Yeshiva Ketana SI - yeshivish boys
Sanz - cheder until 4th or 5th grade I believe - they are a chassidish community school
Bnos Chaya - same as Bnos Chaya in bp - until 4th grade I think
Yeled V'yalda - preschool

Lots of local playgroups and babysitters

amother
Bone

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:21 am
If am looking for a house for sale in Staten island, what are the street with Jewish people? Bradley Ave area?

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:30 am
amother Bone wrote:
If am looking for a house for sale in Staten island, what are the street with Jewish people? Bradley Ave area?

Bradley Ave area is where people are moving to, yes.

If you take a look at the map, there is a square/circle between these streets:
S Gannon Ave
Bradley Ave
Walcott Ave
Forest Hill Rd - turning into Willowbrook Rd - all the way back to S Gannon Ave
This neighborhood is Willowbrook, and nearly every block is mostly Jewish. There are some exceptions, but you'll have a whole block of Jews around the corner.

On the other side of Bradley Ave there is another neighborhood called Manor Heights. This neighborhood is mostly chassidim only, but much more spread out.
Manor Heights borders:
Bradley Ave
S Gannon Ave
Manor Rd
Brielle Ave

Then there's Westerleigh - the other side of the highway (N Gannon), but the people living there are few and far between.

amother
Whitewash

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:31 am
I moved back- the biggest thing for me was the commute and transportation issues. I'm litvish so I think that makes a big difference. No bussing, joined a chassidish bus route for the morning route for a few months and was not a good decision.
My kids had a really rough time with the daily commute, I had a very rough time balancing the different dismissal times, serving supper and doing HW in the car... during the week it felt like we lived in the car and slept in SI. We enjoyed SI from Fri (after the clock changes) to Sunday.
If you are chassidish or litvish/jpf etc sending to local schools, go for it.
The litvish school opened the Sept after we moved back and not for all the grades we needed anyways.
The community was so wonderful, we loved the grass and all the natural beauties, we still miss the sunsets on the back porch....

Gam zu letovah

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 8:19 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
whats the price range for houses. I would be interested in a three floor house with 3-4 bedrooms on second floor.

It's hard to find a detached house with a nice basement here FYI. But if you do and you want 3-4 rooms it'll probably be approximately 1 million. Unless you go for a semi attached house which maybe you can get for about 800k. I think these number are the average 100k up or down...

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:03 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
It's hard to find a detached house with a nice basement here FYI. But if you do and you want 3-4 rooms it'll probably be approximately 1 million. Unless you go for a semi attached house which maybe you can get for about 800k. I think these number are the average 100k up or down...

wow! prices are high. didntn realize it was so expensive. Do schools charge extra for the transportation to BP

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:38 pm
wow! prices are high. didntn realize it was so expensive. Do schools charge extra for the transportation to BP

Some schools do charge more and some are the same as BP transportation

amother
Apple

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:05 pm

Some schools don’t charge at all. A few years ago govt funding was allocated for inter borough transportation.
Some schools claim it’s not enough and charge on top of that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating