Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BY Baltimore- no more bat mitzvas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:09 pm
OP what is it it that you DO want people to tell you on this thread?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Amber wrote:
OP what is it it that you DO want people to tell you on this thread?

At this point nothing honestly.

I got some good info from others who said the school is changing the policy which I really appreciated hearing.

I still keep checking the thread because Im invested in the conversation. But u are probably right, I should stop reading because everything has already been said.

I do appreciate hearing from other in the same predicament as me though.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:39 pm
Thanks for being honest

keym

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:51 pm
Op, I wonder if you can reach out to the school and share your specific concern, particularly because you heard that they're adapting them.
I relate to some of your concerns (even though I don't do huge bas mitzvahs,) but it comes up in other ways, simply because my whole family lives too far away.
Often the people who are making the rules just don't realize the realities of other people.
Could be, those who are making the rules are concerned about the extravagance that's happening, but it simply hasn't occurred to them that there are girls who don't have family. They would want it to be brought to their attention so they can be aware and sensitive in the future

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I really dont care what they did in der heim.

They didnt have running water, electricity, heat, or cars either.

Once there is no halachic issue, I see zero value in doing something just because thats how they did it in the shtetl.

And my daughters arent having ceremonies. They are having a party with friends, saying a dvar torah, thanking her parents, and talking about something she learned or a chessed project she did for her bat mitzvah. Really nothing reconstructionist about it.
And girls also didn't go to school back in the shtetl.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:53 pm
keym wrote:
Op, I wonder if you can reach out to the school and share your specific concern, particularly because you heard that they're adapting them.
I relate to some of your concerns (even though I don't do huge bas mitzvahs,) but it comes up in other ways, simply because my whole family lives too far away.
Often the people who are making the rules just don't realize the realities of other people.
Could be, those who are making the rules are concerned about the extravagance that's happening, but it simply hasn't occurred to them that there are girls who don't have family. They would want it to be brought to their attention so they can be aware and sensitive in the future

I was thinking I should do that. I actually find BY really great about interacting with parents. I just have to get over myself because I hate being the one to speak up even though when I do I realize its a good thing.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics