Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did everyone catch up from Pesach??
Previous  1  2

amother
Bone

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:21 am
I still have $9,000 CC bill from Pesach’ - getting paid again this week.
I really hoping to stretch myself and pay a good 7,000 of it now. (Have about $3700 on a separate account for this.)
I’m davening that by shavuos I’ll be paid up.

amother
Brass

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 6:30 am
I’m always in the red , so Pesach barely made a difference. Our only expense was food , matzah , wine etc . I didn’t buy anyone new clothes. I’ve been paying for day camp since Chanuka already . They debit my account every month so it gets paid in installments. By the time June comes around camp is paid.
But cc debt is something I have and work every month to pay off. Even though I live paycheck to paycheck and I’m in debt I see huge bracha from Hashem and feel really grateful and fortunate .

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Don't hate me, but I save for Pesach.

Money goes into the Pesach account every month, and I know what the budget is before I start shopping. Now the account is fairly low, but it will build up by next year.

I was once in the store before pesach, and the women in front of me was very anxiously waiting to hear what her shopping cost. When the cashier told her, she looked even more anxious, and asked to split it into twelve payments. She spent the entire year paying for her Pesach shopping.

Effectively, I do the same, but by saving in advance it is a lot more controlled, and I know in advance how much I have available. Even Pesach can be budgeted for.

good 4 u. but how? how much a month?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 11:19 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Don't hate me, but I save for Pesach.

Money goes into the Pesach account every month, and I know what the budget is before I start shopping. Now the account is fairly low, but it will build up by next year.

I was once in the store before pesach, and the women in front of me was very anxiously waiting to hear what her shopping cost. When the cashier told her, she looked even more anxious, and asked to split it into twelve payments. She spent the entire year paying for her Pesach shopping.

Effectively, I do the same, but by saving in advance it is a lot more controlled, and I know in advance how much I have available. Even Pesach can be budgeted for.

Good for you!

But that only works if you can get ahead of yourself... not if you are perpetually behind.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:21 am
Pesach - ha maybe by Elul(I’m picking up a second pt job)
Shavuos- my fam doesn’t love dairy so we do an ice cream bar. Bachurim are in yeshiva, no one has much of an appetite so it’s not a budget buster

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 5:27 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
Good for you!

But that only works if you can get ahead of yourself... not if you are perpetually behind.

It's worth doing whatever you can to get ahead of yourself because otherwise you pay more in interest. In the end being in debt costs more money that's why it's so hard to get out of

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:18 am
amother OP wrote:
good 4 u. but how? how much a month?

My budget won't necessarily work for you. You don't need to have everything saved in advance if you don't want to, though I think it's easier. Even if you just save for matza wine and meat, that's big food expenses covered.

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 8:30 am
amother Brass wrote:
I’m always in the red , so Pesach barely made a difference. Our only expense was food , matzah , wine etc . I didn’t buy anyone new clothes. I’ve been paying for day camp since Chanuka already . They debit my account every month so it gets paid in installments. By the time June comes around camp is paid.
But cc debt is something I have and work every month to pay off. Even though I live paycheck to paycheck and I’m in debt I see huge bracha from Hashem and feel really grateful and fortunate .

We're often in the red at the end of the month.... but I stopped budgeting. Unless we want a luxury.
We buy shay we need when we need.
Dh also doesn't check the account often unless we need to make a larger purchas, like a getaway, or expensive dental care.

Our finances don't make sense. If you put pen to paper and make a budget we'd be perpetually overdrawn.
That's why we don't look. And it literally miraculously works Itself out.

Granted, we live very simply. But even so it wouldn't match on own and paper. We've tried before because we wanted to see if we can save. Those few months we just got into debt. No kidding.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics