Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Simanim recipes

HooRYou

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 3:38 am
I was intersted in any interesteing recipes people use for the simanim. For example I had the yummiest leek patties at someone's house once but when I called the next year she didn't remember what the recipe was. I tried a couple of recipes I found online, but they weren't nearly as yummy. Any ideas/ recipes are welcome.

grin

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 5:05 am
I usually cook the leeks with the fish. I also make a nice tomato and onion sauce for the beans (rubia)

mom2bsn

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 7:02 am
here is a recipe:

(serves 12)
6 large leeks, roots and dark greens removed
1 pound ground veal, beef, turkey thigh or chicken breast
4 eggs, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white or cayenne pepper
matza meal
canola oil for frying

lemon slices
Wash leeks well to remove sand. Mince. Place leeks in a saucepan. Cover with cold water and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain . Squeeze out as much water as possible. Cool.
Combine the leeks with the meat, 3 eggs, salt and pepper and form into small patties(1 tablespoon, flattened) . Beat remaining egg. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium flame. Dip each patty first in egg, then in matza meal. Fry in the hot oil unti golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot, plain or with lemon slices.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 10:57 am
HooRYou, did I have you over for RH before??? Smile Leek patties (prasa kefta) ARE my "signature dish".
I get requests THREE times a year--RH, Chanukah and Pesach! Mine are a bit chewy.

Here's the recipe. The batch should yield anywhere from 2 dozen to 30 pieces depending on the size.
2lbs leeks (fatter the better, about 6 medium or 4 large)
1 tbsp parve chicken soup powder
2 eggs
1.5-2 cups matzo meal (or combination of bread crumbs and matzah meals)
salt & pepper
vegetable oil

1) Clean and trim leeks. Chop them in big chunks (like 2"). Make sure you soak in
lukewarm water to get rid of bugs and sands. I usually use both white and green
bits but not the top deep-green parts that are hard.
2) Cook leeks in a big pot with about 1/2 cup water and soup powder till it's totally
mushy. Keep the lid closed. It only takes about 10-15min in pressure cooker,
probably close to 45min to an hour in regular pots. Let cool
3) When cool enough to handle, squeeze as much liquid as possible.
This is very very important. Keep the broth--very tasty vegetarian broth (I get
to serve this as alternative to chicken soup for vegetarians...)
4) Add matzo meal, eggs, season with salt & pepper. It should have the consistency
of batter/latkes. Wait about 5-10min till the batter thickens.
5) Heat about 2tbsp oil in a frying pan, drop batter and flatten with a spatula.
(Use a big scoop on a large/soup spoon. You may need another spoon to flatten it a bit).
Fry on both sides till browned. It's best served when straight from the pan, but
you can freeze and warm in an oven.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 10:59 am
Mrs Bissli where are u from?
My sabta makes leek balls, she is from Greece!

sky

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:04 am
Yum. I think I'm going to try those leek patties.

I'm lazy:
1 can beets
1 can black beans
apple cut up
pre-peeled baby carrots (not really - maybe tzimmes - but frozen peeled and sliced already)
etc.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:09 am
Leek patties rock but beware, too much of them = stomach aches!

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Sep 23 2008, 11:17 am
I usually cook the simanim as part of other dishes. The soup has the most. I put leeks, carrot, and gourd into my standard chicken soup. The cabbage- I serve cole slaw as a side dish, beets with the gefilte fish. I made the black eye peas recipe a friend gave me from imamother last year, before I was a member.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 2:23 am
I just wanted to report back on the recipes I used.

Tamiri, I made the dalat, without the salad and it was delish. DH basically ate it all up and I had to hold him back on the frist night so there would be some for the second night.

Mrs. Bisli, I have not yet been to your house for Rosh HaSHana but I think now my family wants to come. I made the leek patties (with a couple of changes to allow for the ingredients I didn't have) and they were the biggest hit of Y"T. I barely had enough since DC liked eating them straight out of the pan when I mae them Erev Chag.

I also made beet salad (missed the vinegar) and savory carrot salad (I do not really like sweet food with the main course), and baked salmon smothered in onions and garlic in addition to the fruit and such.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 5:27 am
Ruchel wrote:
Leek patties rock but beware, too much of them = stomach aches!

Why? Leeks are like onions. Maybe there is matza meal in the ones you eat? Mine are held together with some mashed potato. They taste like latkes and everyone loves them.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 5:44 am
I didn't have any MM so I used WW flour for mine. They were still yummy!

chillax

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 1:43 pm
Whoa I totally read that the wrong way haha I thought you were asking about "cinnamon", but saying (spelling) it like that as a joke! Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus