Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Info needed - Chicago medical question

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:51 am
My friend's husband is in john h. stroger hospital =cook county hospital in Chicago. It's a free hospital populated by vagrants etc. and staffed by residents since it's a teaching hospital. He is in this hospital because they don't have insurance and cannot afford another hospital.

I am concerned about the husband's care under these circumstances.

I am concerned because my friend has no idea what is going on - she can't reach doctors to find out what is happening. Although she was at the hospital yesterday for hours, there was nobody to talk to.

Are there are any frum medical resources for her in Chicago? Advocates? Someone who will see to it that her husband is not just a guinea pig for residents to practice on?

Any advice for her?

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:48 am
She should immediately call Rivkie Perman at the Chicago Center for Torah and Chesed at 773-761-4005. Mrs. Perman can give her a number of options as well as put her in touch with physicians who can determine the best place for her husband.

FYI, depending on the problem, Cook County Hospital can sometimes be the best place. For example, their trauma department and burn unit are considered among the best in the country. This probably has no bearing on your friend's DH's situation but is just a reminder that hospitals are complex organisms, and a single hospital can be great or awful depending on why you're there.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 5:25 pm
Thank you Fox, I passed on the information.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 6:04 pm
Rivkie Perman does not work there anymore.

She still does medical referral for free but she has a cell number, not the office number.

Strudel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 6:29 pm
As Fox said, Cook County can be a very good hospital for certain conditions, they just don't put much effort into patient relations. After all, if you don't have insurance, you have no choice but to go back there. I had to use it a few times and survived!
You should try and call either Mrs Perman or the Chicago Center for Torah and Chessed. Maybe also try Rabbi Wolf at the Chicago mitzvah campaign. They can provide kosher food 1-866-6972224. When he gets out, the Ark has free medical care, including meds.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 7:15 pm
Thank you.

Here's an example. My friend went to the hospital and her husband wasn't in his room. She asked, "Where is my husband?"

The answer, "I don't know."

shock

She has been trying to find out what her husband's medical status is, there is nobody to talk to!

I wish she would be connected with someone who has clout at the hospital so she can get answers to her reasonable questions and so that she can be sure that he is being taken care of properly.

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 7:26 pm
If it was the University of Chicago then my father would have clout....but ur friends not there...

Strudel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:14 pm
Perhaps Rabbi Fuerst might know who to speak with. He knows many docs. 773-539-4241

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 9:00 pm
midwest wrote:
Perhaps Rabbi Fuerst might know who to speak with. He knows many docs. 773-539-4241

I doubt this guy is going through infertility!

Ha, my husband decided that he wants to take clomid too, I told him I hope it doesnt make him ovulate!

Strudel

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 10:22 pm
He knows other doctors. When I didn't have any insurance he helped me see a doc in the Sinai system so I didn't need to schlepp to Cook Hospital.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics