Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Aufruf

granolamom

Post Fri, Dec 23 2005, 11:42 am
I will be hosting/planning my brother's aufruf and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I cleared the date with our shul for kiddush, etc
I guess I will have the Shabbos meals at my home (fri night) and at the shul (shabbos afternoon), don't know where to have suedat shlishit.
what else do I need to take care of? what goes in those little bags that they throw? what's a good gift for people who host some of my guests? any and all advise is welcome...thanks!

Yael

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 10:28 pm
sorry I cant help too much but I know that they throw candy at the chosson so that would answer the
Quote:
what goes in those little bags that they throw?

a good host gift is home made baked goods wrapped up prettily with a nice card and some flowers.
easy and not expensive.

supermom

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 3:01 am
baked goods?? sounds too over whelming since she is making the actually meals for everyone. But flowers sounds nice with a card nothing that you have to do to make. Or unless you can ask people to bring something for their hosts if you feel comfortable asking them.

As for what needs to be done I think you have everything. As for the third meal you can make it in your house if you really want or if not making it in a willing relatives house.

One thing that I noticed that some people get is two poeple could be a girl and a boy to waiter for you this way you don't need to be bothered with setting up and cleaning off. You pay a little bit of money depending if they will be doing it more for a chesed or not. and that way you can relax after a whole friday and if not thursday in the kitchen.

granolamom

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 8:10 am
thanks for your responses. I think hiring waiters is a great idea - I probably wouldn't have thought of that until I was serving dinner myself!
There are no other relatives who live near me so I guess I will have seudat shlishit at my home.
I also really like the idea of baked goods as hostess gift but realistically I doubt I will be able to handle the pressure. I guess I'll go with flowers or wine.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 8:16 am
You can give nuts or candy too. I don't know where you live but in many places you can get prettily packaged assortments for the same or less than you might spend on flowers or wine.

realeez

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 1:55 pm
for the packages they throw, it depends on the size. I've seen some huge ones with bags of chips in them and tons of other stuff. usually I see a couple of small soft candies in one of those little bags and more recently ppl started using marshamallows!

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Dec 26 2005, 1:59 pm
I would say that the packages should be soft candies as it oculd hurt when hard ones are thrown.

you could do peanuts and raisins.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics