Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Arranged--The Movie
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:54 pm
Here's one:

http://www.cinefranco.com/films.asp?id=323

I haven't seen it, but I've read about it.

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:55 pm
Thanks Clarissa I will look into it. I am still downloading the Arranged movie...I will then see what this one is about and get back to you Smile

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:57 pm
Hmm, the description on the webpage seems promising!

LeahW

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 12:58 pm
In the kitchen wrote:
Does anyone know of a movie made by a muslim that portrays a muslim jewish friendship and shows the yidden in a positive light?

Filmmakers are afraid of Muslims, even especially Muslim filmmakers are afraid of Muslims. No one wants to be the next Theo van Gogh. If you make Jews look decent in a Muslim film, you're treading on mighty thin ice...

Last edited by LeahW on Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:00 pm
LeahW wrote:
In the kitchen wrote:
Does anyone know of a movie made by a muslim that portrays a muslim jewish friendship and shows the yidden in a positive light?

Filmmakers are afraid of Muslims, even Muslim filmmakers are afraid of Muslims. No one wants to be the next Theo van Gogh. If you make Jews look decent in a Muslim film, you're treading on mighty thin ice...

too true

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:00 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Here's one:

http://www.cinefranco.com/films.asp?id=323

I haven't seen it, but I've read about it.

Oooh, I'm going to see if I can download it.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:05 pm
Um yep. Again.
Muslim comes to aide of Jew.
Again. Does it show the other side? Jews coming to the rescue of a Muslim? Jews in positive light? Not as victim or villian but as victor, hero, etc.? How many films depict Orthodox Jews in a good light? Frum Jews? Very few. Not that there aren't any, but very few.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:07 pm
I'm thinking that the glass isn't just half empty for you.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:08 pm
Just reread your post and I realize that you've seen the movie. So it doesn't portray Jews in a positive light? Tell us all about it, as you're the only one here who's seen it. Edjumacate me.

Boys"R"Us

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:11 pm
Ima2Netanel wrote:
I saw this months ago and I think the message is positive. Despite our differences, if we look to our similarities, it can enrich all of our lives.

This is why I belong to an interfaith moms forum (very small) where I am privileged to count Muslim women among my friends.

I would be interested in this site - could you post it? or PM me with it?

Thanks!

Debbie

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:13 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I'm thinking that the glass isn't just half empty for you.

I've noticed a basic pattern when it comes to Jews, and this is doubly true of Frum Jews. We are either depicted as villians or victims, but we can't be heros, with few exceptions. I think this is an overall social pattern that has bothered me for quite awhile.

Frum Jews are rarely depicted in a postive light in any film, again with a few exceptions. We are denigrated, seen as regressive, and those who aren't are usually fighting their regressive families and friends.

I'm not saying there can be no conflict, but does the conflict always have to come at the expense of our religion? Can't we battle an illness? Can't we show frum familes coming together to work together to over come an obstacle? Jews working side by side with non-Jews to overcome a disaster without having to mention Judaism as an obstacle?

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:15 pm
Your post was in response to my specific link to a specific movie. I'm assuming you have a problem with the way Jews were portrayed in this movie. Please elaborate. I didn't post anything in the general discussion with regards to Jews in films, I merely posted a link to a specific movie in response to a comment about Muslim filmmakers. So what's wrong with the movie? I haven't seen it, and you seem to know more about it.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:19 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Your post was in response to my specific link to a specific movie. I'm assuming you have a problem with the way Jews were portrayed in this movie. Please elaborate. I didn't post anything in the general discussion with regards to Jews in films, I merely posted a link to a specific movie in response to a comment about Muslim filmmakers. So what's wrong with the movie? I haven't seen it, and you seem to know more about it.

As of last night, she hadn't seen the movie. Rolling Eyes

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:19 pm
Clarissa wrote:

That one I didn't see. I've been kind of off movies for awhile now and I am being more and more choosy in what I watch. I was reading the info about it and from what is stated it seems like a "Muslim protects Jewish family" I'm trying to find out more.

It is an overall feeling I have that we as Jews are either victims or villians in many people's eyes, not all, but the eyes of many.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:23 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
Um yep. Again.
Again. Does it show the other side? Jews coming to the rescue of a Muslim? Jews in positive light? Not as victim or villian but as victor, hero, etc.? How many films depict Orthodox Jews in a good light? Frum Jews? Very few. Not that there aren't any, but very few.
Then maybe before you post this "um yep again" stuff you should see the movie. I posted about a movie that appears to portray a really positive relationship between Jews and Muslims. If you can manage to put a negative spin on that, without even seeing the movie, then you have a gift.

There aren't a lot of frum filmmakers, although there are plenty of Jewish filmmakers. Maybe if more frum Jews made movies, then people would see a more accurate glimpse into that world. Otherwise, all of the movies are made by outsiders, some of whom will have positive feelings about the culture, and some of whom will have negative feelings. Anyway, let's be honest here. It goes both ways. We've all read some searing indictments of non-Jews here, as well as of non-frum-Jews. Ignorance abounds on all sides.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:32 pm
Clarissa wrote:
HindaRochel wrote:
Um yep. Again.
Then maybe before you post this "um yep again" stuff you should see the movie. I posted about a movie that appears to portray a really positive relationship between Jews and Muslims. If you can manage to put a negative spin on that, without even seeing the movie, then you have a gift.

There aren't a lot of frum filmmakers, although there are plenty of Jewish filmmakers. Maybe if more frum Jews made movies, then people would see a more accurate glimpse into that world. Otherwise, all of the movies are made by outsiders, some of whom will have positive feelings about the culture, and some of whom will have negative feelings. Anyway, let's be honest here. It goes both ways. We've all read some searing indictments of non-Jews here, as well as of non-frum-Jews. Ignorance abounds on all sides.

From the website you sent; I wasn't suppose to believe it was a valid statement? You hadn't seen the film then how do you know it showed Jews in a positive light except from the film? So if you saw the film, correct my error, if not then you sent a site that had a film with the concept that it showed Jews in a positive light based on a review. If not the correct my misapprehension.

Quote:
1960 Casablanca. Jews are surreptitiously emigrating to Israel in search of a better life. The sawmill owned by Brahim, a Muslim, and Henry, his Jewish business partner, is failing. Henry decides to try his luck in Israel. Before leaving on an illegal boat, he entrusts his family to Brahim, who will be called on to prove his true friendship when Henry dies.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:34 pm
I think the filmmaker was going for a positive portrayal of a friendship between two families. They're in business together, they're intimately involved in eachother's lives (I read a few articles about it) and they're committed to being there for one another. I can't find anything negative in it. If you can, good for you. Don't see it, if the description bothers you. I'm happy to see a Muslim filmmaker making a movie about friendships between Jews and Muslims. I choose to see it as something good.

mynameismom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 1:41 pm
I just watched it. It was so cute Smile

mali

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 3:05 pm
I watched the movie after watching the making of the movie and discovering that the executive producer (the frum girl who wrote the story) was my classmate. the producer (mr. schaefer) upset me by saying in that short film that the movie was filmed "while israel was bombing lebanon". I rather remember being bombarded by lebanon two summers ago and not vice-versa. Sad

the movie itself is pretty shallow and doesn't say anything about anyone, unless you'd like to suggest that frum girls have less confidence than their muslim peers, but I enjoyed it nevertheless.

yeti

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:00 am
Well, Leibel Cohen is doing a great job in portraying frum people in a positive light, firstly with the wonderful "agent emes" aeries for our kids, and for adults there's "advice and dissent", which I am copying the youtube trailer to here, and he also made "the permeable man". They are not very long movies, but a good start and quite entertaining.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics