Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
WWYD? Magen Dovid in x-mas stocking

mugsisme

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:33 pm
4-Hobby Designs

I have bought from this site before. I have written to them several times. Once when they first started saying how nice it was to see an Israeli company making designs. Once when I wanted some Shabbos designs. Recently I wrote to them ot asking about embroidery opportunities in Israel. Well, today's newsletter had a link to this new set. I am blown away!

Do I write to Julia and tell her this is just wrong? Or do I mind my own business?

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:36 pm
Is this another one or the same company??

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:37 pm
they are just stars

supermama2

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:40 pm
mugsisme wrote:
4-Hobby Designs

I have bought from this site before. I have written to them several times. Once when they first started saying how nice it was to see an Israeli company making designs. Once when I wanted some Shabbos designs. Recently I wrote to them ot asking about embroidery opportunities in Israel. Well, today's newsletter had a link to this new set. I am blown away!

Do I write to Julia and tell her this is just wrong? Or do I mind my own business?

ok I didn't see the mogain dovid on a stocking...just snowflakes..

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:48 pm
They might just be trying to expand their business. If you specifically buy from them because they are a jewish site, tell them how you feel.

mugsisme

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:51 pm
SarahO. wrote:

ok I didn't see the mogain dovid on a stocking...just snowflakes..

supermama2

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 5:21 pm
hmm I dunno what I'd say about it... There are sadly lots of xian Jews out there... I just dunno.. Actually, if it bothered me as bad as you and I was dealing w/ that co. I'd ask my Rav if I should say anything.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 5:26 pm
There are Jews who do Chanuka stockings... well, if gifting has caught on, and Chanuka bushes, why should we poor Jew be left out and not have stockings? Rolling Eyes

So since there are ppl who will buy them...

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 6:43 pm
I'd write the company and tell them it offends me.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 6:45 pm
*shrugs* "Messianic Jews" use the symbol and celebrate x-mas... It doesn't both me; this isn't a Jewish company.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 7:22 pm
zaq wrote:
I'd write the company and tell them it offends me.
Why? They're in business to make money, so they make all kinds of stuff. It's not like it's being sold in your shul shop, right?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 7:47 pm
Honestly, I know very little about embroidery, but wouldn't it be easier to do a mogen dovid than a five pointed star? I don't think it's messianic or anything like that, they prob. just didn't realize...

marina

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 1:42 am
Maybe it's just me, but I like jewish socks. I can wear them and feel more frum and my feet will feel more warm.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:27 am
Mimisinger wrote:
Honestly, I know very little about embroidery, but wouldn't it be easier to do a mogen dovid than a five pointed star? I don't think it's messianic or anything like that, they prob. just didn't realize...

actually a five-pointed star is easier.

But I see now, they're not selling stockings with stars on them, it's an embroidery design, one of many. no, I wouldn't complain to the company about that. I thought they were selling stockings with the stars, which is a different matter.

Our office chachka lady makes it her business to set out seasonal decorations for every imaginable occasion from Grover Cleveland's yortzeit to Grover the Muppet's birthday. This week she set out her December holiday extravaganza, complete with creche, a forest of trees, and both a cardboard cutout of and a real menorah. I should really complain to management because we're not supposed to have religious symbols in the office, and while you may argue that a tree is a neutral winter decoration, a creche is without question a religious display. However, since I didn't protest years ago it would be weird and bad PR if I said anything now. To her mind she's being politically correct by giving equal time to the other side.

It disturbs me more to see the menorah in the midst of this display than if there were none. Chanuka being the very antithesis of xmas, I feel like grabbing that poor menorah, which must feel like a chossid in the vatican, and taking it home where it'll be among friends.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:29 am
People are in business to make money, so they sell to all sorts of people, with all sorts of practices and beliefs. We're not talking swastikas, here.

SingALong

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:33 pm
there are so many people out there who have one jewish parent and one christian parent and celebrate both chanukah adn xmas.

they probably go for stuff like this. so what? im sure they are not the only combo product out there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics