Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Farfel and other traditional shabbos foods
Previous  1  2

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:03 pm
seraph just buy farfel!! not worth the patchke! Ive never tried the recipe from the heimishe kitchen that was posted but that is my alltime favorite cookbook. But its cheap and takes 2 seconds to boil

I forgot to mention the eggs and Im glad I checked this board because otherwise I wouldnt have realized till tmrw Im out of eggs for shabbos.

We always have egg salad which my father used to make at the table (it is a minhag not a last minute prep) but FIL and Dh dont do it.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:07 pm
Tamiri wrote:
sarahd wrote:

It's very easy, as long as you have a mixer with a K paddle. Do you?

3 1/2 to 4 c. flour
3 eggs
pinch of salt
a few drops of water

Mix all ingredients at once. If farfel are too small, add water a drop at a time. If farfel is too coarse, add flour a sprinkle at a time.

You can cook it at this point, or else bake it at 350°/180° (I do this, it tastes much better) until the farfel dries and hardens.

(Heimishe Kitchen)

Then what?

I have a magic mill, what attachment would I use? the dough hook?

Seraph

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:46 am
ss321 wrote:
seraph just buy farfel!! not worth the patchke! Ive never tried the recipe from the heimishe kitchen that was posted but that is my alltime favorite cookbook. But its cheap and takes 2 seconds to boil

I forgot to mention the eggs and Im glad I checked this board because otherwise I wouldnt have realized till tmrw Im out of eggs for shabbos.

We always have egg salad which my father used to make at the table (it is a minhag not a last minute prep) but FIL and Dh dont do it.
its expensive here. and I think it wold be worth the patchke.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 12:54 am
Raisin wrote:

It looks as though the recipe is meant to create crumbs. I don't know if the dough-hook would work. Do you have a pastry blender (mine is parve Very Happy )? That is the way to make crumbs out of the ingredients. However, it could be that in the shtetl in Europe, the ladies did not have pastry blenders. A good substitute is 2 knives chopping away at the ingredients, or a fork, where the tines are like the pastry cutter's.

see Pastry Blender

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 5:44 am
Tamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

It looks as though the recipe is meant to create crumbs. I don't know if the dough-hook would work. Do you have a pastry blender (mine is parve Very Happy )? That is the way to make crumbs out of the ingredients. However, it could be that in the shtetl in Europe, the ladies did not have pastry blenders. A good substitute is 2 knives chopping away at the ingredients, or a fork, where the tines are like the pastry cutter's.

see Pastry Blender

I make pastry in my food processor. (pie crusts, apple crumble topping)

ss321

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 6:13 am
Seraph wrote:
ss321 wrote:

its expensive here. and I think it wold be worth the patchke.

Oh cuz in America, a bag of farfel is like I think less than 2 dollars per bag, plus, since its a grain, that doesnt really get spoiled or stale, I buy it in bulk at one of those kollel supermarket type places ~3x/yr (I make it every week).

sarahd

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 7:33 am
Tamiri wrote:
Raisin wrote:

see Pastry Blender

I think that in the shtetl, they would make a very stiff dough out of these ingredients and then grate it. I don't recommend that unless you have a safety grater - and very well developed arm muscles. I don't think a dough hook would work; the recipe is very specific that it can only be made with a K-paddle. Kitchen Aids and Kenwoods have them. I don't know anything about Magic Mills.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus