Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Cute Stories
Bug checking

shira

Post Thu, Oct 20 2005, 7:10 pm
My 3 yr old was helping me check rice before yom tov. I explained to him that we were checking this rice for bugs since Hashem says we aren't allowed to eat bugs. We continued to check for another 5 minutes until my husband walked into the kitchen. At that point he piped up, "Guess what, Abba? I'm helpin Mommy check this rice for bees!"

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 5:21 am
That's cute Shira..

technic

Post Sun, Oct 23 2005, 5:57 am
del

Last edited by technic on Wed, Dec 28 2005, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

elisecohen

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 9:26 am
The last time I found an inchworm in the lettuce I was checking I had my 6 yr old take it outdoors. He was grossed out but equally fascinated.

Just a warning of never checking produce when you're not "on top of your game--" I did once just do a cursory check of my raspberries and sure enough dh came to me and asked me how well I had checked--and showed me a 5 mm beetle sitting on one of his berries! Believe me I have always checked everything REALLY well since that. Boruch Hash-m it was such a big one, I know Hash-m was warning me that there's a reason for these halachos.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 10:49 am
kids LOL

shira

Post Tue, Oct 25 2005, 3:00 pm
elisecohen, interestingly enough, I learned in my bug checking class that it is virtually impossible to properly check raspberries. So, even if you are a thorough checker, its not surprising that you found a bug even after checking well. Just a fun (or not so fun) fact.

Itta

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 12:45 pm
to add to the bug checking stories:

one of my sisters learned that you should split cherry tomatoes before eating them to check for worms that may have grown INSIDE.

now whenever my two yr old wants to eat them, he sorta smushes it open (spritzing it) and declares "no bugs!"

LOL

hisorerus

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 3:09 pm
Very cute! Smile

On the raspberry topic, I heard you need to soak them for a few hours, and the bugs should float out.

Itta

Post Tue, Dec 27 2005, 3:29 pm
Quote:
On the raspberry topic, I heard you need to soak them for a few hours, and the bugs should float out.

I think you have to add something like "veggie soap", vinegar or salt to the water to aid the process as some bugs are stubborn and hold tight. but I believe that once they're 'dead' they'll let go and float up to the top....

Crayon210

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 8:16 pm
With regard to bugs in veggies-I thought that if it's INSIDE the vegetable or fruit, it's not a problem since it hasn't actually crawled on the ground? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:03 am
uh no Confused can you explain?

elisecohen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 7:25 am
I guess you're talking about whole veggies like tomatoes or peppers or eggplant, not leafy greens (which of course have to be checked every leaf)? But still, I thought you have to check that there are no but holes and things like peppers check when they're split open since sometimes the holes are under the stem?

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 10:34 am
talking about peppers I once had a very good plump nice looking with no blemishs pepper filled with worms inside
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics