Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
USA themed seder - ideas please
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 11:07 am
Some ideas:

Matzas shaped like the U.S.A.

Karpas should definitely be french fries.

Turkey wing instead of chicken wing on the seder plate.

Instead of a good son, wicked son, simple son and son who doesn't know how to ask, have four good sons (each is good in his own unique way).

Instead of the same-old, same-old silver kiddush cup, why not use an extra-large slurpee cup for your arba cosot? Similarly, no US-themed seder is complete without kosher l'pesach coca cola.

Shfoch hamatecha should probably be edited for the occasion.

Atali

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:22 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Some ideas:

Matzas shaped like the U.S.A.

Karpas should definitely be french fries.

Turkey wing instead of chicken wing on the seder plate.

Instead of a good son, wicked son, simple son and son who doesn't know how to ask, have four good sons (each is good in his own unique way).

Instead of the same-old, same-old silver kiddush cup, why not use an extra-large slurpee cup for your arba cosot? Similarly, no US-themed seder is complete without kosher l'pesach coca cola.

Shfoch hamatecha should probably be edited for the occasion.

No, I think the four sons should be: The intellectual son, the oppressed freedom fighter son, the emotionally-intelligent son, and the obedient son

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:29 pm
Atali wrote:
ora_43 wrote:
Some ideas:

Instead of a good son, wicked son, simple son and son who doesn't know how to ask, have four good sons (each is good in his own unique way). .

No, I think the four sons should be: The intellectual son, the oppressed freedom fighter son, the emotionally-intelligent son, and the obedient son

Excuse me? This is sexist. Only sons? No daughters? Not very American.

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:31 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I wanted an original seder, so I've decided to make one on the theme of the USA.

These are my ideas so far:

I have ordered haggados with a Star and Stripes cover.

I will ask everyone to come dressed in clothes from the time of the American Revolution.

I will decorate the room with American flags.

I want to use popcorn for 'karpas' since it's borei pri haadma. But since we are Ashkenazim I will have to ask a shaila since they are kitniyos. If our LOR says no, does anyone have another idea?

Menu for the seuda: hamburgers (obviously without the rolls), homemade ketchup (we don't use processed foods on Pesach, so does anyone have a good recipe), french fries. Dessert is Pesachdik pumpkin pie.

I am relying on you ladies for lots more ideas. Please help.

LOL Shalhevet. LOL LOL LOL

Atali

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:31 pm
Here are some other suggestions for seder themes:

The Human Rights Seder (the UN guidelines for human rights are "maggid"):

http://www.ritualwell.org/holi.....99169

The freedom seder, complete with cash prizes for artistic submissions:

http://media.www.duclarion.com.....shtml

Here are some more suggestions that came up on Google:

Quote:
Here are some examples of these modern adaptations:

* Women’s/feminist seders focus on women’s role in the Exodus and in Jewish history and life; the incomplete liberation of women within Judaism; and feminist reimaginings of haggadah texts.
* Gay and lesbian seders draw their inspiration from the ways in which GLBT Jews are still excluded from fully being welcomed into and participating in Jewish life, community, and ritual.
* Vegetarian seders (using, e.g., A Haggadah for the Liberated Lamb) focus on respect for all living beings, not just human freedom.
* Jewish-Christian seders focus on interreligious understanding, a shared biblical heritage, the Jewish roots of Christianity, and joint social justice concerns.
* Black-Jewish seders reflect our common histories of slavery (one ancient, one modern) and our close connection to the biblical text and stories, and focus on (re)building Black-Jewish partnerships for the purpose of working for social change.
* Arab-Jewish seders (using, e.g., “A Seder of the Children of Abraham” in The Shalom Seders) focus on building bridges between the two communities, and express a yearning for peace between Israel and the Palestinians and those who care about them.
* Labor seders emphasize labor rights and activism on behalf of workers who are nearly enslaved to unsafe working conditions and poverty wages

Nebach.

mamacita

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 12:34 pm
Obviously you need the Maxwell house hagaddahs.

You could make quinoa sushi.

If you aren't creative enough to plan a trip from Mitzaim to feel the true yitzias, I think there are Egyptian cruises, they were advertised in last year's Mishpacha. You could recreate the plagues. I think it would add to the authenticity if you had the kids build a wall in the backyard the week before so they could really appreciate the freedom they'd have after Pesach. Let me know if you want my brick recipe, I can look it up and post it for you later.

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:20 pm
Scratching Head

I'm so slow..I think you're joking right? (You really never know these days.. although Shalhevet you so did not seem like the theme type) shock

Rolling Laughter
For a minute you had me.. I thought to myself, "Woa, how and why would she order special haggadas!"

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:30 pm
TheBeinoni wrote:
Scratching Head

I'm so slow..I think you're joking right? (You really never know these days.. although Shalhevet you so did not seem like the theme type) shock

Rolling Laughter
For a minute you had me.. I thought to myself, "Woa, how and why would she order special haggadas!"

I believe she was trying to make a point about Purim. (Am I wrong?)

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 1:33 pm
At first when I read it I thought she was serious.. then I thought, no way, this is Shalhevet she is definitely trying to make a point.

Ok sorry for thinking outloud but some ideas were really realistic and you never know the lengths some ppl will go to!

embarrassed

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:07 pm
And my point is...

For some reason everyone thinks this is a joke. Why? I was careful to stress everything would be according to strict halacha (and more).

The reason all you nice frum ladies thought it was a joke (Beinoni, I can't believe you suspected moi!) was because it seems crazy to you to think about anything other than yetzias mitzrayim and the mitzvos of the night (ok, and if the soup heated up quick enough on the plata, and if Moishe's new shirt didn't get a stain on from the arba kosos) at the seder.

V'hameivin yovin.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 25 2009, 3:33 pm
The theme is...Pesach!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics