Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
How is the economy affecting your work?

mimivan

Post Tue, Feb 24 2009, 7:17 pm
b'h I've been working from home at the same job for nearly three years, the last year and a half full-time...
there is a meeting with individual editors on Sunday (occasionally we do meet face to face with the boss and each other) about "the direction of the company" (oops...something about that lashon makes me a bit nervous)

So I am mentally preparing myself...my work is in the financial sector which is being hit the hardest...and some people have already been laid off. Part of my job is iy'h secure I think, but I might get cut to part-time.

If this does happen, it means it is back to freelancing part-time to cover the lost hours at the steady job.
This market is absolutely brutal, I know, but today I thought of a "glass half full" thesis...
perhaps there are alot of freelance jobs out there as people are laying off workers and cutting full-time positions? This is on the idea that if people are cutting the workforce, but still need work done from time to time, they will hire freelancers, since they don't have to pay them benefits or give them minimum amount of hours?

Has anyone found this to be true? I am hoping...

In the meantime, how is the economy affecting you?

mimivan

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 3:55 am
Okay, I'll make the lead question brief...

Is the economy affecting your ability to find work as a WAHM or your feeling of job security...does anyone think there are really freelance opportunities out there? Is there an increase or a decline?

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 5:01 am
Well I lost my job in Oct. They moved it to the states.

Now I am watching babies so not being directly affected, but next year I hope to do afternoon care. I think there is going to be compitition, but I can't see myself doing anything else really (no demand for watching older babies in English, and I really don't want infants since ds will be IY"H 19 months old in Sept). If I only get a couple of kids, at least I'm home anyway and havent' lost my whole morning to watch one child, kwim?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 7:00 am
mimivan,

I'm hoping your meeting goes well. I'm also in financial services so very much aware what you mean. Can't comment on freelance opportunities, but I think it's good to do a mental "fire drill exercise" and have a bit of contingency plan--what would one do if called into a meeting one morning and asked to clear the desk/be told the service is not needed any more, find out in advance what you're entitled to in terms of severence pay, insurance etc.

cl

Post Wed, Feb 25 2009, 9:28 am
I freelance from home - not in finance so I cant comment there - but have had hardly any work the last 6months. 2 regular big jobs had to cancel as they didnt have the money 2 pay for my services. I've accepted it for now as BH im pregnant now and with pesach coming up I dont mind having some quiet time but im definitely feeling the loss of the extra income.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers