Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Black icing
1  2  Next

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:31 am
my daughter wants a panda bear cake for her birthday. Does anyone know how to make icing black? I would prefer not to buy black food coloring. (if that's my only choice then I will)

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 11:11 am
Try happy Home on Coney Island bet J & K or Peppermill on 16th. The may have ready made black icing but I doubt it. Your best bet - make a buttercream icing, buy a couple of Wilton black food coloring gel containers. For black icing you need to use a ton of coloring or it will be grey so you may use both containers of coloring.

faigyl

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 11:16 am
For wilton icing they recommend making chocolate icing and then adding the black coloring since it takes ALOT of black to make it black.
Make it a dark chocolate icing with cocoa and then u wont need so much black.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 11:29 am
You could also use black candies to decorate it - black jelly beans, black licorice....

small bean

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 12:21 pm
thanks everyone.

mimisinger - how would I make it look like fur with candy? I'm really bad at these kind of stuff.

can I get wilton black food coloring in shoprite or similiar store?

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 2:26 pm
no, you're only going to find it at Happy Home, Peppermill, Walmart, Michaels or the like.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 2:27 pm
faigyl - Wilton themselves suggest that? I'll keep that in mind. I hate using up so much color for a bit of icing.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 8:31 pm
small bean wrote:
thanks everyone.

mimisinger - how would I make it look like fur with candy? I'm really bad at these kind of stuff.

can I get wilton black food coloring in shoprite or similiar store?

black licorice nibs, standing upright can look like fur. I like this idea over so much food coloring.

atlastamom

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 12:08 am
they do have black food coloring at shop rite smallbean.

cityofgold

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 5:00 am
DEFINITELY start with chocolate icing!
My mother made a kippah cake for my brother's upsherin years ago using Wilton colors--it took over an entire bottle and dyed everyone's teeth, lips, and tongue dark purple!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:39 am
under the impression that wilton also makes the icing in the strong colours so you don't have to use an entire bottle of anything ... either way dye is dye is dye

faigyl

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:49 am
shopaholic wrote:
faigyl - Wilton themselves suggest that? I'll keep that in mind. I hate using up so much color for a bit of icing.

Yup- I took a lot of their courses and this is what they recommend Smile

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:53 am
http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-7.....A1ODQ

Kumphort

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 7:55 am
WHat about black sprinkles, that would give texture like fur

Boys"R"Us

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 11:36 am
Kumphort wrote:
WHat about black sprinkles, that would give texture like fur

That sounds like a GREAT idea, Kumphort - black sprinkles on chocolate icing! That would really give a textured furry impression LOL

sky

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 11:40 am
Shoprite has chocolate Dunkin Hines icing. The whipped one is pareve O-U. It isn't black - but dark brown and tastes really good and is the easiest. Would that work?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:00 pm
sky wrote:
Shoprite has chocolate Dunkin Hines icing. The whipped one is pareve O-U. It isn't black - but dark brown and tastes really good and is the easiest. Would that work?

regular icing is a cinch to make and way cheaper ... plus you get more than just a cup ...

sky

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 5:39 pm
greenfire wrote:
sky wrote:

regular icing is a cinch to make and way cheaper ... plus you get more than just a cup ...

I think its around $2. Not much more then the cost of cocoa and/or whip. No raw eggs. It is 1 1/2 cups worth. and is my best friend 1/2 hour before shabbos when I still have a cake to ice.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 5:51 pm
I guess I'm just a homemade is just as easy type of gal - you get more for the money and no msg ... not into duncan hines either by the time you add the eggs and oil you might as well just pop the cocoa, flour & sugar in too ...

cse

Post Sat, Feb 20 2010, 7:23 pm
I once red somewhere to mix coconut with cocoa and then put it on a cake for a furry look. may not be black enough though. good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins