Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How does someone not know she's expecting triplets????

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:04 am
This is the stranget story I have ever heard.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/art.....3.php

Please explain to me how someone who already has 2 kids and knows what pregnancy feels like, is unaware that she is pregnant at all, when it's with FULL TERM TRIPLETS???? and doesnt call 911 when she goes into labor?

She delivered 3 babies vaginally, at home, without help, never called an ambulance?

I'm scratching my head here, something doesnt add up.

It's a terrible tragedy, btw, I'm not belittling it.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:27 am
My MIL carried twins to term and didn't know until the 2nd was born. (but that is less then triplets).

And I met a girl in one of my birthing classes who was the third triplet and was a suprise to both her mother and the dr when she was the last to come out. (It was a V@ginal birth) - they were expecting twins to be born.

Both were close to 30 years ago, so maybe that is why.

There is a dr in Robert Wood Johnoson Hospital who does allow V@ginal births for triplets - I have a friend who tried - but needed a C-section in the end. So it can be done.

elf123

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:34 am
sky wrote:
My MIL carried twins to term and didn't know until the 2nd was born. (but that is less then triplets).

And I met a girl in one of my birthing classes who was the third triplet and was a suprise to both her mother and the dr when she was the last to come out. (It was a V@ginal birth) - they were expecting twins to be born.

Both were close to 30 years ago, so maybe that is why.

There is a dr in Robert Wood Johnoson Hospital who does allow V@ginal births for triplets - I have a friend who tried - but needed a C-section in the end. So it can be done.

Firstly, are you saying your MIL didn't know she was PREGNANT, or that she was having twins? There is a big difference between the two. The story makes it sound like this woman didn't even know she was pregnant AT ALL.

Secondly, a dr. delivering triplets vaginally at a hospital is A LOT different than a woman delivering them at home by herself.

pina colada

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:37 am
As far as I understood from the article it was the woman's mother that did not know her daughter was pregnant, not the woman herself. It could be she knew she was pregnant and hid it from her mother.

sky

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:39 am
Either way - how in the world do you hide a triplet pregnancy. The people I've seen who were preg with triplets were huge. They looked like a normal 9 monther at 7 months...I'm not sure how you could miss that she was pregnant.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:26 am
I didn't read the article, but how far along was she?

elf123

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 10:51 am
It said it appeared they were full-term. And she lived with her parents, meaning they saw her daily. I'm with MamaBear, something doesn't add up here.

MamO3

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 11:31 am
Sometimes with really obese women it's not noticeable. I read about a woman who had a gastric bypass, as she lost all her weight, she noticed she had a hard rock like feel on her stomach, she found out she was 9 months pregnant with twins.

mltjm

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:37 pm
weird weird weird story

Marigold

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 12:58 pm
Weird and tragic.

When I gave birth about a16mths ago there was a woman in the hospital (jewish) who gave birth to twins. Neither she nor the doctor knew what hit 'em. They delivered the first baby and realized there was another placenta right there. Each of the babies weighed over 6lbs and were carried full term.

My mil also gave birth to twins about 30 yrs ago and she always says that although it was never confirmed by the doctor she had that gut feeling that its more than just one.

From what I read, the mothers said she suspected that her daughter was pregnant but they never spoke about it. If you don't go to a doctor then you may not know if you are carrying multiples. And I agree, my friend who is quite obese recently gave birth and a lot of people where quite shocked.

Barbara

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 2:04 pm
Tragic. For the young woman. For the babies. For her older children. For her entire family.

HuffPo's take was a bit different -- saying that she was a big girl, gave medical reasons for weight gain, and denied pregnancy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/......html

Maybe she was scared. Maybe she thought her parents would throw her out if she had another baby. Maybe she intended to give up for adoption and didn't want to know. Maybe they weren't her husband's (HuffPo says husband, OP article said boyfriend). Maybe she wore those big clothes that people on another thread were advocating so that no one could see her bump. I don't know.

All I do know is that its tragic.

dolphin

Post Wed, Feb 03 2010, 9:15 pm
very strange, but not always can you tell what it feels like

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 12:48 am
The whole story doesnt make sense

shosh

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:03 am
Well, when I had my twins (now aged 8), I also didn't know I was having multiples until I actually gave birth. Like in the movies, I gave birth to my ds and the doctor asked me if I'd done an ultrasound. I said that I hadn't, and she said that she thought there was another baby in there. She wheeled in an ultrasound machine and sure enough, my dd was in there, head down and ready to go. She was born 6 mins later, and I didn't know what hit me!

I had a more difficult pg, and I did ask the doctor at one point if he thought it was twins. He didn't take me seriously and listened for two heartbeats but only came up with one. So that was that. When I said that I felt much bigger and more uncomfortable, he said, "Well, it's your sixth pregnancy in seven years. What do you expect?" And he thought I just had one big baby in there.

I guess Hashem had other plans.

With this woman, she may well have not realised it was triplets, especially if she was very big. But she must have known she was expecting. There's no way she couldn't have known that. In terms of her family, I don't know. That part does seem odd, and why she tried to deliver at home instead of getting help. Perhaps there is another part of this story that we don't hear. Perhaps she was in a major state of denial for some unknown reason.

pina colada

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:07 am
the huffington post article says she denied the pregnancy, she may have known she was pregnant but tried to hide it

Seraph

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:28 am
Paddington Bear wrote:
And I agree, my friend who is quite obese recently gave birth and a lot of people where quite shocked.
I embarrassed the h*ll outa myself when I saw my obese friend pushing a stroller. "That's your baby?" I asked. *major foot in mouth*
I had had no clue she was pregnant. And I see her daily.

mandksima

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 1:51 am
I could see how one could be oblivious to another obese friend's pregnancy if it were a singleton. Twins - highly unlikely. Triplets - impossible. For sure the pregnant woman knew. The hormones are 3 times as strong. Nausea would be 3 times as bad. Gestation diabetes usually sets in by the end. Full term triplets usually means you can't get up without help and there's just no way of not knowing by the end.

By 5 1/2 months along, I looked overdue. Maybe I carry really big and I'm at the high end of the spectrum but even for someone on the low end of the spectrum that carries very small, by 7 months or so, she would look due. I'm sure people knew but for some reason were keeping it secret. Funny thing is, weight wise, I lost 5 pounds during the pregnancy with no gain at all, but I never got to the third trimester. So, I wouldn't have been able to tell from the scale but I looked like a house at 24 weeks when I gave birth. Okay, there was one person who said she didn't know I was pregnant at 18 weeks and I thought I looked 7-8 months by then. I think she thought I had just gained weight as I'm not a small person to begin with. I understand not wanting to say anything because I also thought someone was due when they weren't even pregnant. It is more "foot in the mouth" to be wrong about that.

estibesty

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:12 am
she knew but lied about it and made up a medical reason for being so Fat but its weird cuz she has a 2 and 6 yr old.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 8:44 am
It says she died of blood loss but doesn't explain why none of the babies survived.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Feb 04 2010, 9:20 am
maybe they required suctioning, or resusciation, or something.
I dont understand why she didnt call 911. unnless eh passed out right away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics