Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Good carriers for newborns
1  2  Next

Nomad

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:22 pm
I was inspired by Inspired's thread...

what are some good AND safe carriers for newborns?

PS, for me baby bjorn hurts A LOT...any other recommendations?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:24 pm
What do you envision using it for? Long term use, or just as a newborn? Are you ok with learning how to put one on for a few minutes or you prefer something that requires minimal effort? Do you want weight distributed over both shoulders, or is one shoulder sufficient? Do you want to be able to wear your baby on your back, or just the front is ok? Do you want to share your carrier with your husband, or is it mainly for you to use? How big is your baby that you'll be starting the carrier with?

Nomad

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:30 pm
omg - I dont even KNOW lol - those are a lot of questions...

I guess I would need something that has a lot of support because thats the issue I had with the babybjorn (not enough support). I dont know if I would want one shoulder or two. it sounds like 2 would be more supportive?

I am a little nervours about having something that you have to patchke with a lot because im afraid I wont do it right and the kid will fall out or be too squished or something.

ideally, my husband should be able to use it too..

right now - no baby here yet! (I used the babybjorn when ds was small)... but im just thinking for the future..

and it would be okay with me to have one thing for a small baby and use something else when the kid gets older...but it would be nice not to have to buy 2 things...

front for a newborn I think is what im looking for and the back would be cool too as it gets older...

im also inetrested on hearing other people's accounts on what they found comfortable and why..

Inspired

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:36 pm
I linked to this page on the other thread: http://www.slingbabies.co.nz/S......ashx its a good starter link, and explains why bjorns are not really a great choice.
HY asked good questions. Just so you can understand, I use on a regular basis, and not having much to do with style/color/ matching concerns but just practical what I need to be doing a mei tai (babyhawk), 2 podegis, 2 different ring slings and 2 or more wraps. And I am lacking some carriers I wish I had.

Last edited by Inspired on Tue, Mar 16 2010, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

realeez

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:38 pm
I love love love love love my Blue Celery carrier. I used to have a Baby Bjorn but it killed my back and I never understood what was so great about baby carriers until this one. You have a lot of different ways to wear your baby from newborn and up - but not back carry. I use it when I do my transcription work on the computer with baby in nursing position who nurses and naps and wear baby upright when walking around the store, doing stuff at home. I have a bad back with mild scoliosis and this doesn't affect it at all (with the bjorn I had to take advil before!) and it really is easier on my back than holding the baby regularly!

http://www.bluecelery.com/020~....._Use/

Oh yeah, and my dh will occasionally wear this around the house too!

Last edited by realeez on Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Inspired

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:39 pm
It sounds to me like a mei tai would be a good thing for you to try. Babyhawk is a nice brand. (ok, I love babyhawk)

pinchanygo

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 2:46 pm
I love my wrap. you can google sleepytime wrap or moby wrap.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 3:20 pm
I bought a baby k'tan that I heard about on Imamother. I'm happy with it. I'm not fully sure that baby wearing is for me, but when I need my hands free its a life saver. One of the reasons I got it is because I was scared of tying knots incorrectly and the baby falling. It is pretty fast to get on and my newborn always fell asleep in there in a second.
The downside is that it does not fit my dh.

I did look into the baby hawk that inspired wrote about it and it does look very cool, and easier then a lot of other tie wraps. Maybe that would be my next choice to try.

PinkandYellow

Post Thu, Mar 11 2010, 3:27 pm
In Israel I used the equivalent of the sleepytime wrap and loved it. Really. there is some tying but it takes just a minute cuz you get used to it and you can learn to learn in it easily although I never did. it was really yummy for me and baby. I didn't like the regular slings, like dr sears or the ring sling bec there was never enough material to make me feel safe. with the wraps, I felt I can walk and do stuff with two free hands.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 2:46 pm
I love my moby wrap. it looks complicated but it takes only one or two tries to get used to tying it, and it spreads the weight over your whole back. plus you dont have to adjust any straps, so if someone else (like dh) uses it you dont need to adjust and readjust it

chaylizi

Post Mon, Mar 15 2010, 2:50 pm
I have a Catbird Pikkolo. I also have a ring sling (I don't remember the company) & a MetroWrap. My Baby Bjorn is waiting for an unsuspecting ebayer to buy it.

6yeladim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:04 am
My friend Hadassa Levy lives in Modiin and gives advice about slings. She also sells them but I know she would advise you in any case.

Slings in Modiin

Inspired

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 6:38 am
6yeladim wrote:
My friend Hadassa Levy lives in Modiin and gives advice about slings. She also sells them but I know she would advise you in any case.

Slings in Modiin

I tried to contact your friend through her site, didn't hear back. I would love to be in touch with her

6yeladim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 8:15 am
It's only been a few hours, but if you PM me I'll send you her email address.

Inspired

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:02 am
6yeladim wrote:

I meant awhile ago.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:06 am
I made a wrap and a mei tai... love them both.

And I decided to stay away from the slings because I felt it put too much weight on one shoulder or the other and wasn't good for me to wear for any length of time.

Plonis

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:08 am
I loved using an adjustable pouch for a newborn. Nice cozy baby position (cradle), and easy to sit down, pull of the shoulder strap, and nurse.

6yeladim

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 9:26 am
Inspired wrote:
6yeladim wrote:

I meant awhile ago.

Oh! embarrassed Offer is still open.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:42 am
Plonis wrote:
I loved using an adjustable pouch for a newborn. Nice cozy baby position (cradle), and easy to sit down, pull of the shoulder strap, and nurse.

Not quite sure what a pouch is, but if it's what I think it is, it's the most dangerous thing on the market.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:50 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Plonis wrote:

Not quite sure what a pouch is, but if it's what I think it is, it's the most dangerous thing on the market.
No, that's a bag sling. A pouch sling is like hotslings.com (that's not adjustable). It's perfectly safe when used correctly.

[OT: my 20 month old started using a real 'bag' sling for her doll...she takes her little purse and puts in a doll, a bottle (gift from someone, not that my baby has ever had a bottle!), and a dollhouse chair and walks around carrying her baby like that. It's pretty funny Very Happy]
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics