Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babies eye movement

amother

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 8:25 am
Whenever I lay my newborn baby down on the changing table he moves his eyes so far downward that all I see is the whites of his eyes. It's freaky and upsets me....I dont notice it when he is upright B"H only when he is on his back.
Is this something to be worried about?

momomany

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:01 am
It is called "sunset sign". My son - now 19 years old - had this. I was referrred to a neurologst for a ct scan to rule out hydrocephalus which could have been putting pressure on his eyes. B"h all was normal & I was told it was just an immaturity of his eye muscles that would resolve by the time he was 6 months old - it did! (similar to newborns whose eyes cross all the time). None of my other children had this until my 8th child k"h - now 7 months old. His "sunset sign eyes" was much milder & I did not bother checking it out. Occasionally his eyeballs would drift a bit downward. It is now mostly all gone.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:49 am
What would be the treatment if CHV it was something putting pressure on the babies eyes?
If I only see it when he is lying down does that mean it's not such a bad case?
Should we go see an eye dr now - he is 2 months old.

cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 11:57 am
I never heard of this but I would start with a pediatrician. He should know what (if anything) should be done.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 12:07 pm
amother wrote:
What would be the treatment if CHV it was something putting pressure on the babies eyes?
If I only see it when he is lying down does that mean it's not such a bad case?
Should we go see an eye dr now - he is 2 months old.

Yes. See someone now!
Call your pediatrician. And ask about seeing an ophthalmologist and a neurologist or a neuro-ophthalmologist.

If you live in NY I can recommend someone for you.

momomany

Post Mon, Mar 22 2010, 12:52 pm
Treatment for hydrocephalus is usually a shunt to keep the cerebrospinal fluid draining properly. Now that I have scared you silly (sorry!), I will say that if the baby's head circumference & fontanel have been checked by your ped & are normal, then you probably have nothing to worry about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics