Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How Much Tuition Do You Pay?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

bubby

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:47 am
groisamomma wrote:

What does ZAL stand for?

It's just a word that we use round here, but most people call it Bais Medrash.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:38 am
3000 euros a year. About 4400 dollars, I think. Cheapest school around except Chabad (abt 3500 d).

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:43 am
I live in Detroit. Pre 1 A starts at about $6K. Elementary is similar between $6-8K & High school this year is $9100 per kid. Pre N & Nursery are about $2- 2500K. No scholarships available for nursery. Admission fees are $50 for Pre N & N. $80 for a returning family Pre 1 A and up (or $100 per kid if you are new). There is a cap though. I just don't remember what it is. Every class has project fees, lice check fees, and book fees. You also need to pay $600 Give or get- can get by volunteering, going to the dinner, etc... & $5K of Yeshiva Cash. Any balances not up to date are due in May or they won't enroll for the next year.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:46 am
I am moving to Detroit!
:-)

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 11:48 am
ValleyMom wrote:
I am moving to Detroit!
:-)

And houses are usually below $200K. Just remember to bring your own employment with you. We'll we waiting with open arms!

yo'ma

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
I live in Detroit. Pre 1 A starts at about $6K. Elementary is similar between $6-8K & High school this year is $9100 per kid. Pre N & Nursery are about $2- 2500K. No scholarships available for nursery. Admission fees are $50 for Pre N & N. $80 for a returning family Pre 1 A and up (or $100 per kid if you are new). There is a cap though. I just don't remember what it is. Every class has project fees, lice check fees, and book fees. You also need to pay $600 Give or get- can get by volunteering, going to the dinner, etc... & $5K of Yeshiva Cash. Any balances not up to date are due in May or they won't enroll for the next year.

I forgot, we have to pay for all books and a lot of arts and craft supplies. For the 2 yr old, besides for the arts and craft supplies we have to bring, we also have to pay $15 a month on it. Of course trips are not included either.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:15 pm
What happens if you live oot and there is one school option for girls and one for boys. What if you can't pay? like you really just cant swing it? Do they deny you? Put you on a payment plan? Let you pay it off over the years?

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
What happens if you live oot and there is one school option for girls and one for boys. What if you can't pay? like you really just cant swing it? Do they deny you? Put you on a payment plan? Let you pay it off over the years?

Depends where. In many places they'll try to be nice. In many places, they tell you public school is there for you. Been there done that.

chaylizi

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:18 pm
I don't think anyone in my OOT city has been turned away for lack of funds. They certainly haven't been told to send their children to public school.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 12:26 pm
chaylizi wrote:
I don't think anyone in my OOT city has been turned away for lack of funds. They certainly haven't been told to send their children to public school.

Lucky them.
I was turned away for lack of place. I went to PS where I met a nice number of charedi kids whose parents couldn't afford that school, and also a number of parents who prefered the halachically neutral environment of a public school to aforementioned school definitely "Torah u mada".

My dh had friends in similar situations. Some of them have went on to the best yeshivos and today are kollel men at charedi places in Eretz and of course it's something they don't disclose to non European people.

It happens that no hashkafically fitting school is willing to make an effort, out of principle, because they think it's not the way to keep the school open. Some choose a different, even conflicting hashkafa, some prefer public school. Some can afford a private school but since the one in town is too different they send to Catholic school. I can think of a friend of dh who married a Monsey girl and studied to Catholic school.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 1:16 pm
I pay $150.00 per month per kid.

so $1,500 for the year plus $500 for building fees.

so for 2 kids we pay $3,500/year

we live in Ottawa, Canada

Tuition is technically $8,300.00 per year but we get financial aid

shmoozer

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:40 pm
about 6k for both together! and I;m complaining!!!!! we're in NY

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 8:48 pm
17,000 for two elementary boys inc dinner, registration building funds. I think my daughter also elem. will be about 7,000 inc. everything. they go on yellow buses so that is free.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:27 pm
I pay $5000 for nursery. that does not include bus. I asked for a small discount and they waived the registration fee and the mandatory dinner fee. I was asked for $36 for trips but that was all. I'm in bklyn, ny

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:35 pm
3 kids. Almost $20,000 per kid. No breaks.

shmoozer

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:48 pm
omg!!!!! how do u guys do it? I can't even afford the 6k for both kids together. My little one is going to stay home till 3 1/2 cuz I don't have $ for playgroup, he'll go right to school.

WriterMom

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:48 pm
Out of curiosity, why the range? Does "20k per kid, no breaks" mean for boarding school or something? Are some cities far more expensive for frum Jews to live in? I can't quite wrap my brain around having to spend that much on tuition, especially for multiple kids. That's in the neighborhood of the Ivy League, but that's just 4 years!

(Not judging ... just cannot fathom it. 20k per kid, no breaks, would be more than our after tax income, actually pretty close to our before tax income, and I think of us as comfortable, not wealthy but also not impoverished.)

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
3 kids. Almost $20,000 per kid. No breaks.

YIKES! That's about our income!

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 9:55 pm
In Brooklyn schools:

$6,000 for 3rd grade boy (all inclusive)
$5,400 for 1st grade girl (plus fees)
$4,000 for nursery pluse $2,000 (after school program)

This is after the breaks they gave us! Basically 18,000 by the time we are done.

amother

Post Sun, May 02 2010, 10:33 pm
WriterMom wrote:
Out of curiosity, why the range? Does "20k per kid, no breaks" mean for boarding school or something? Are some cities far more expensive for frum Jews to live in? I can't quite wrap my brain around having to spend that much on tuition, especially for multiple kids. That's in the neighborhood of the Ivy League, but that's just 4 years!

(Not judging ... just cannot fathom it. 20k per kid, no breaks, would be more than our after tax income, actually pretty close to our before tax income, and I think of us as comfortable, not wealthy but also not impoverished.)

That's elementary school. High school is more.

And its not even close to Ivy Leauge costs. The total budget, including tution, housing and expenses, at the University of Pennsylvania, to choose one Ivy League school, is $55,000 for 2010-11, with tuition just a hair over $40,000.

I'm always amazed that any school can charge less. 20 kids per class. In the lower grades, call it 4 teachers per class -- teacher and assistant for chol, same for linudei kodesh. At $5000 tuition, even if every penny went to faculty, the average salary would be $25,000 per year. And that excludes costs of the building, heat, books, equipment, administration. That's not even mentioning health insurance. How can these school survive?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics