Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Cheesecake with cottage cheese?

RedTwizzler

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:18 pm
Recipe anyone? Thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:26 pm
yes, I have a good one posted here. do a search for it.

yo'ma

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:30 pm
I once made one with cottage cheese and I didn't like the texture at all. Unless you really smash it, you do notice the texture, unless of course maybe if you use a small curd. I don't remember which one I used, it was a long time ago.

bbmom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 2:38 pm
Lemon Cheesecake
from KBD Lightens Up

25-30 low-fat lemon snap or vanilla wafer cookies
1/2 cup ground blanched almonds, firmly packed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups 1% cottage cheese
2 8-oz blocks reduced fat (not fat free) cream cheese at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 egg white (from large eggs)
zest from 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon lemon extraxct
1 tablespoon flour
1 6 oz container lemon-flavored low fat yogurt

Preheat oven to 350

Spray a 9 or 10 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place it on a cookie sheet and set
aside.

Place the cookies into the of a food processor fitten with a metal blade and pulse until crumbs form.

Place 1 cup firmly packed crumbs into a medium bowl. Add the ground almonds. Mix in the melted butter. Stir to combine. Press into bottom of the springform pan. Use an offset spatula to spread evenly.

Wash and dry the food processor. Add the cottage cheese and pulse until cottage cheese is creamy.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitten with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and cottage cheese on medium-high speed until creamy. Gradually add the sugar. Add the eggs, egg whites, lemon zest, lemon extract, and flour. Beat until smooth, but do not overbeat. Pour into the pan.

Bake for 50-55 minutes for the 9 inch pan, 40-45 minutes for the 10 inch pan. The center will appear nearly set when gently shaken. It may seem loose, but the cheesecake will firm up as it chills. Remove from oven and cool completely. Spread lemon yogurt in a circle over the center of the cheesecake. Chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.

Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Release the sides of the pan.

RedTwizzler

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:07 pm
bbmom wrote:
Lemon Cheesecake
from KBD Lightens Up

Thanks! Sounds very good. Interesting with that lemon yogurt topping. I wonder why it's not just cottage cheese- I guess maybe for that smoothness issue although I heard to mix cc in blender to make it smooth.

RedTwizzler

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:11 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
yes, I have a good one posted here. do a search for it.

I did search but I didn't come across your recipe with cottage cheese...Can u post the link please?

Plonis

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 4:19 pm
I think she means this one: http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....95284

Merrymom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 6:52 pm
The consistency will not be the same at all. I've done it and hated it even though there was nothing wrong with the taste, the consistency is just horrible. If it's because you're looking for something lower fat and aren't makpid on chalav yisrael then get part-skim ricotta cheese instead. It's much smoother and will come out much nicer.

bbmom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 7:12 pm
You have to use a food processor or blender to make the cottage cheese smooth and creamy. Don't cut corners on this one - take the time to blend until the cheese is completely creamy. A regluar mixer won't work. Once you've creamed the cottage cheese you can finish mixing the ingredients in a regular mixer.

Merrymom

Post Mon, May 17 2010, 7:22 pm
bbmom wrote:
You have to use a food processor or blender to make the cottage cheese smooth and creamy. Don't cut corners on this one - take the time to blend until the cheese is completely creamy. A regluar mixer won't work. Once you've creamed the cottage cheese you can finish mixing the ingredients in a regular mixer.

I did this, it still came out lumpy.

bbmom

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 7:30 am
Did your cake also have cream cheese or only cottage?

Merrymom

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 1:08 pm
bbmom wrote:
Did your cake also have cream cheese or only cottage?

Cottage cheese and sour cream I think.

bbmom

Post Tue, May 18 2010, 1:16 pm
Maybe the cream cheese helps with the texture What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics