Home

What do you do with leftover gefilte fish?

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

happy chick

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 11:34 am       Post subject: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
I have fish left over from yom tov and dont really want to trash it. I want to bake it. cant be bothered with frying. what do you put on it and how long and an what temp do you bake it?

Isramom8

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 11:38 am       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
Why not just serve it?
I really like leftover gefilte fish hot during the week. Microwave (if your micro is milchig and your fish fleishig-potted then double wrap or whatever your rav says to do) and serve to whoever wants, with mayo.

Levtov

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 12:29 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
It freezes very well. Wrap in paper towel, then silver foil and plastic bag. Thaw overnight in fridge next shabbos. Don't tell anybody, and your family will not know the difference.

happy chick

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 12:39 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
I want to use it for shabbos, just want to give it a little change of taste. I would fry it with egg and bread crumbs, its delicious, but I want to bake it, not fry.

yiddishe vayb

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 12:45 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
There is a tomato and veggie recipe that you could
probably bake. I don't know the recipe though.
Good luck!

mha3484

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 12:49 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
Cant you bread it and then bake it instead of frying it?

happy chick

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 12:51 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
thats what I want to find out. can I dip it in egg and bread crumbs and then bake it?

mha3484

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 1:09 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
I dont see why not. People do it with schnitzel or veggies.

PinkFridge

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 3:01 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
Leftover gefilte fish? Isn't that an oxymoron? How could one possibly have leftover gefilte fish? Scratching Head

Levtov

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 3:08 pm       Post subject: Re: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
happy chick wrote:
I want to use it for shabbos, just want to give it a little change of taste. I would fry it with egg and bread crumbs, its delicious, but I want to bake it, not fry.
You can give it a delicious mid-eastern twist:
slice and bake with tomato sauce, a little salt and sugar and spice with cumin. Then put in a frozen peas and carrots. Bake on 350 for about 1 hour and serve warm. simply delicious

mimimom

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 3:11 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
In my house it usually goes into a container and then sits until I throw it out next erev Shabbos. Wink not that I'm recommending that.

ra_mom

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 3:39 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
Slice the gefilte fish. Dip into 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water mixture.
Dip into seasoned breadcrumb and ground walnut mixture.
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes on each side. (You can spray the tops of the slices when you flip them halfway through.)

yo'ma

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 3:40 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
I actually revamped my gefilte fish from shavuos for shabbos. Right now it's sitting in tomato sauce with spices.

happy chick

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 4:47 pm       Post subject: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
well, for the record. I just baked it with egg and bread crumbs. its edible, but I wouldnt serve it for shabbos. the bread crumbs didnt really bake. it sort of came out the way it went it. whatever...

chocolate moose

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 4:47 pm       Post subject:
We;ve discussed this before - you can sauce it with salsa, salsa and pineapple, pesto, duck sacue, etc.

ra_mom

Post Posted: Fri, May 21 2010, 7:34 pm       Post subject: Re: re: what do you do with leftover gefilte fish?
happy chick wrote:
well, for the record. I just baked it with egg and bread crumbs. its edible, but I wouldnt serve it for shabbos. the bread crumbs didnt really bake. it sort of came out the way it went it. whatever...
Oy vay. I thought it would come out the way it does when using a raw, partially defrosted gefilte loaf.
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1