Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Vacation without 10 month old?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:26 am
I just found out that im pregnant and due....in oct! im freaking out and really dont know what to do. I have a 10 month old and we were planning on going on vacation for a week .
my question is- should we bring the baby (overseas!) for a mere 6 day trip?
or should we enjoy the little break for outselves and leave baby with his bubby who he feels very comftorable with.
AHH!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:27 am
op here-I forgot to add that my husband and I REALLY do need the break-for shalom bayis issues (nothingserious but to spend time with eachother)

bnm

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:28 am
amother wrote:
I just found out that im pregnant and due....in oct! im freaking out and really dont know what to do. I have a 10 month old and we were planning on going on vacation for a week .
my question is- should we bring the baby (overseas!) for a mere 6 day trip?
or should we enjoy the little break for outselves and leave baby with his bubby who he feels very comftorable with.
AHH!

first of all bashoa tova, you where nursing clean or something? I would leave him by his bubby if she agrees to it.

de_goldy

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:41 am
I would definitely take him with. Ten months is much too young to be left for so long.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:45 am
If you have not been nursing, if he is happy with his Bubby, and his Bubby is happy to have him, then I say go relax and rejuvinate with just your dh.

alwaysbesimcha

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 12:47 am
If you aren't nursing I would leave him by Bubby.

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:10 am
If he knows his bubby well, and feels comfortable with her, he will be totally fine if you leave him for a week. The fact that he's so young is a plus, not a minus. I say GO without him AND HAVE A GREAT TIME! The smartest thing I ever did (okay, one of the smartest) was not listen to people who told me to take my then 16 mo. old with me to a chasuna in the states. I ended up leaving him behind (with his bubby and siblings, where he felt more comfortable than in some strange new setting) and went just with my husband for 11 days. It was amazing! SO worth it!

hadasa

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 2:26 am
Has he ever stayed overnight with his Bubby?

Maybe I'm a bit crazy, but I do believe in the theory that children under the age of 18 months should not be left overnight without their mother unless absolutely necessary.
A vacation with a baby is not the same as one without, but it still can be fun and a way to reconnect.
I would take him.

On a side note, if you don't mind sharing, can you explain how you just found out... Aren't you in the second trimester already?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 6:43 am
just is a bit of an overstatement, but I found out very late in the game. I dont show until my 7 month (in my 5 and still not showing) and I was nursing so my periods were gone and then started to be not regular....I was really really shocked since I was on bc.
oh well! man plans GD laughs!
we do have the ability to cancel the trip-but a big part of me feels like I need a chance to relax with my DH before I have irish twins! im just really attatched to my DS and I dont feel I can leave him yet

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 7:43 am
Does it have to be an overseas trip? You may want to check your travel and health insurance--most do not cover pregnancy-related treatment.

sky

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 1:01 pm
I think you are going to get different answers based on each person's method of parenting. I think it all depends on the parents, child and Bubby.

Personally, I would leave the baby with his bubby if he knows his Bubby and the house very very well.

DH and I went alone ourselves before #2 was born. ds #1 was older then your son (~15 months). We left him for 5 days. It was great for dh and myself and ds had a great time were Bubby and Zaidy wined and dined him.

Regarding the travel - I went to Eretz Yisroel 7 1/2 months preg with ds #1. The dr said it was okay, and my insurance at that point covered me over seas. I was the huge then, so I took a note from my dr stating it was okay to fly and my due date. You said you are not showing yet so that may not be an issue.

JollyMommy

Post Tue, Jun 01 2010, 11:58 pm
we are leaving our 10 month old and 3 1/2 year old for 3 days and 3 nights for the Bahamas (oh ya!). first we had planned a trip with the kids, but decided it wasn't going to be a bonding vacation for us as a couple (which is the point) and turn into a kid trip, which is fun but we do weekends with them a few times a year..

I am super attached to my kids and a SAHM so I'm used to being around them all the time.

BUT
my parents live across the street from me and see them every day, we go there every shabbos, so they'll be around them all the time
AND
my housekeeper that works for us will be sleeping over, because my parents like to do the fun things but would rather give the maintanence parts to someone else (probably true for most of us)
AND
there are 2 of them, so they have each other
AND
it's 3 days

so.. I would go because you need this, but leave baby with people who he knows and absolutely love him. leave them a detailed poster board of all your flight/hotel info and insurance info for the baby and schedule. he will be fine, you might be sad about it. also, I would go for a shorter amount of times- 4 days max, but less is better. it's up to you and baby won't remember. have fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics