Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
[b]How Do You Feel About Dogs As Family Pets??![/b]
1  2  3  Next

How Do YOU feel About Pet Dogs?
YES! We have a dog and we love him/her!  
 17%  [ 9 ]
NO WAY--We are not dog people!  
 58%  [ 30 ]
We are seriously considering owning a dog.  
 13%  [ 7 ]
They all want a dog except me!  
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:21 am
After nearly twenty years of pleading I finally broke down and agreed to have puppy join our family. My husband's client is a breederand trainer for nearly 45 years and he personally hand picked the puppy and she boarded and engaged in intense training for several weeks.

She bothers me.

Not bothers me personally--it just adds to the chaos of our household.

My kids walk the dog
My kids clean up after the dog.

I grew up in NYC and the my childhood community--nobody has dogs.

I try my best to love the dog. She is pretty but I just havent gotten used to her being in our home. We brought her home before Shavuos.

I wish I could figure out a way to truly relax and enjoy her, eeveryone in our family loved her... except me. I still have mixed emotions... I know I need to chill out but I can't for the life of me figure out how to accept the fact that she is here to stay. OY!!!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:38 am
What kind of dog is she?

When I made Aliyah, we adopted a 4 year old Siberian Husky. I had to put her down when she was almost 15 years old (!) due to health complications.

My husband moved with a cat and we had to put him down 2 years ago (also due to health complications).

We miss not having a pet (contrary to what my teens think, their little brothers are NOT pets) but until we buy a house of our own and until my youngest is 3, I can't think of bringing a puppy into our home.

We'd love to get a cat but my almost 18 year old has serious allergies.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:52 am
OMIGOD thanks for replying.

We have a standard poodle.

I spent MORE on her first trip to the groomers than on haircuts for ALL three kids and ME!

Maybe I should get my haircut at the groomer...

$65!!!

This included a fancy pink bandana and a green leash.

I had no idea. Believe me.

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:55 am
would love a dog, but in my neighboorhood theyll associate you with the devil for owning a pet Sad
Either way we have a cat and we're considered weird for that.

cubbie

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 3:10 am
I grew up always wanting a dog and my parents not agreeing, now I'm with them, what do I want a dog for? More chores, more mess, now way not for me. My kids don't like dogs so thankfully its not an issue - although my oldest wants a duck.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 3:14 am
I must admit my KIDS do ALL the work.

I am just helping to pay to put in new sod in the yard for the little dog to run around in without getting burrs.

I also helped pay to have gravel installed in a newly gated dog run.

THEY take her for all walks.

THEY feed her.

THEY clean the poop fromt he yard and while on walks...

I just can't get used to the fact that she is sucking money from the family budget. BUT THEY love her!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 3:16 am
Yeah... being able to afford the grooming (if necessary), the vet bills...

Another reason we haven't gotten a pet.

hipstamom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 4:48 am
We have a cat and we're the local weirdos because of it. Imagine a dog.... Rolling Eyes

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:18 am
we really want a dog. so far we have been in small apartments, but now, BH we are moving in two days and our apartment is a bit bigger with a tremendous mirpeset and we are so looking forward to getting a smallish dog and I know that there are many in our city who have dogs. I cant wait and my 2 year old has been exposed to small and very large (think clifford the dog) dogs and loves them so we want to get one before she forgets that she enjoys them.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 5:55 am
I love dogs, but they sure do take time and money! So I am perfectly happy with two low-maintenance cats! They are like furry, movable pieces of furniture. They do their own thing.

Chocoholic has a toy poodle, if I remember correctly.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 6:29 am
DH and I are "dog people," we both grew up with dogs and decided to get a dog as soon as we moved out of NYC. I personally do not believe in getting dogs from breeders, we've always gotten dogs from shelters.

Our current dog is a very large (100 pounds!) lab mix (we dont know what she is mixed with). When we got her she was 2 and now she is 7. Not only is she a sweetheart and a real part of the family, she also has protected us in several situations.

I personally don't care for cats, I had one once when I lived abroad and it just wasnt my thing. Dogs are much more social.

estibesty

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:33 am
most frum girls I know RUN with fear when they see a doggie even those cute little poodles

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:36 am
Good for you for holding out for 20 years! I'm not there yet, holding steady at about half that (the older ones didn't beg for a dog). I recently allowed hamsters. If they don't behave I can feed them to the forest. With dogs, it's more difficult.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:37 am
estibesty wrote:
most frum girls I know RUN with fear when they see a doggie even those cute little poodles
LOL its all in how you are raised, I think. we never had a dog, but whenever we saw a dog or were in contact with a dog, we always went over with my parents to pet the dog and I believe that my parents did that so that we would not be afraid of the dog.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:40 am
We had dogs growing up, in an Israeli apt. That's why I know enough TO HOLD STRONG against my children's sincere begging for one. I have enough people calling me Imma and I don't want to add a dog to the mix. My bed is crowded enough. I don't want anyone sleeping under it or on it, besides me. The house needs enough cleaning even without added dog hairs. My grocery bill is hovering just about where I want it without adding dog food to the list. Our medical bills are BH practically non existant and I have no desire to support my local vet. I SO don't want a dog.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:41 am
I love standard poodles, but grooming alone is why I would never get one. Two of my neighbors have a standard and they're fantastic dogs, but just yesterday my neighbor was complaining about how much money he sucks out of her. However, she went into this knowing they'd have to shell out money for grooming.

Our dog requires no grooming except for the bath that we give him every now and then.

It might be helpful to learn how to groom your poodle yourself. Someone in my neighborhood does that.

Yakira

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:46 am
I grew up being afraid of dogs (neighbor used to purposely scare us....) now I actually have gotten over the fear and like them. My toddler loves dogs and I kind of wish I was the type to get one. I also have to say someone who sell's homeowners insurance mentioned that a dog (well maybe not a poodle) is really the best defense against intruders, better than an alarm system or even a gun...

All that being said, most of my relatives and friends would think we're weird and would probably not visit if we owned a dog AND I can barely keep the house together with two little ones, more work I dont need. I hope to keep exposing my kids to dogs and other animals so they dont grow up afraid....who knows what will be down the line.

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 8:52 am
I grew up wanting a dog but my mom hates pets so it was a no-no, I got my first puppy about 1.5 years ago and I'm really happy with it, its a small poodle he is the cutest and most loving guy out there. But having a dog is like having (an extra) kid.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:08 am
Yakira wrote:
I also have to say someone who sell's homeowners insurance mentioned that a dog (well maybe not a poodle) is really the best defense against intruders, better than an alarm system or even a gun...
Poodles are fantastic alarms. They are super-vigilant, generally fairly high-strung, and will bark the second they see anyone approaching the house. Usually their favorite place is sitting by the window and watching everyone walk by. And barking.

Mirabelle

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:20 am
I said this in my post, but I will say it again, there have been several times when we believe my dog has scared away intruders.

Put it this way, if you are going to rob a house, why would you rob a house with a 100 pound black dog going crazy barking at you. It's human nature to be scared.

We get our dog bathed and her nails trimmed every 8 weeks.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics