Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
[b]How Do You Feel About Dogs As Family Pets??![/b]
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How Do YOU feel About Pet Dogs?
YES! We have a dog and we love him/her!  
 17%  [ 9 ]
NO WAY--We are not dog people!  
 58%  [ 30 ]
We are seriously considering owning a dog.  
 13%  [ 7 ]
They all want a dog except me!  
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:38 am
It's generally not the fact that the dog is big and scary that keeps them away, it's mainly the fear that the dog will alert the owners to the burglar's presence. Even a small dog, as long as it's a barker, will keep potential robbers away.

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:40 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Usually their favorite place is sitting by the window and watching everyone walk by. And barking.

I second that Wink

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:43 am
I heart poodles.

ven

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 9:46 am
I have two dogs , but I have a very big yard so , their main job is to be guard dogs.
I would not have a dog if I lived in a city environment or an apartment.

Yakira

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 11:19 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Yakira wrote:
I also have to say someone who sell's homeowners insurance mentioned that a dog (well maybe not a poodle) is really the best defense against intruders, better than an alarm system or even a gun...
Poodles are fantastic alarms. They are super-vigilant, generally fairly high-strung, and will bark the second they see anyone approaching the house. Usually their favorite place is sitting by the window and watching everyone walk by. And barking.

Good point, I never thought of that.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 11:59 am
Our dog has been through intense one on one training from the time she was several weeks old. She is VERY well behaved and RARELY barks. She is extremely social and very friendly.

She also eats the most EXPENSIVE dog food imaginable.

My husband thinks it';s silly but the breeder/trainer insists she stay on a regular diet for the first year.

As far as grooming--apparently I went to a hoity toity groomer for the dog without doing extensive research. The groomers told me when she is FULLGROWN it will cost $95!!!!!!!!!

Let's put it this way--it cost me less than ten bucks to color my hair and my friend applies it for FREE.

The flip side is my children and husband are thrilled to death to finally have a dog. Part of me feel guilty for holding out for so long... the kids are really teens now and I feel badly denying them of this experience for so long.

AND we will have beautiful grass in our yard which I have wanting for a long time.

I just wash and swee my floors repeatedly.

We wipe her paws when she comes in but somehow the house still gets grimy.

And for those that don't know poodles don't shed. They have hair not fur and there is NO odor. Beleiev me. I tried to find a smell when she first arrived but--nothing.

I should just chill out and enjoy the dog.

AND finally--the reason we got her from a trainer breeder s because he was my one of my husband's clients and he has been wanting to give us a puppy as a gift for years and years. I was the hold out.
The dog would sell for a little over $1,500 and the boarding and training cost $3,000. This was all a gift.

She also was chosen for her gentle temperment and loving dispositon. I don't think I could handle a rescue dog that might come with some "baggage" from a prior owner.

Thanks for posting people... It makes me feel less alone in this.

I am so NOT an animal person--but I am trying!

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 2:34 pm
I love all furry animals, but dogs are just too much work, time, and money. And they need space. My cute fuzzy kitten is just adorable (well, now he's a cat, lol), easy, clean, and so sweet and good-natured. I also don't like "dog smell". And cleaning up their poop.

But if we could I would love a cute little Irish terrier. They've always been my favorite (the mustaches!!!).

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:00 pm
OMG my dog is black-if it lived in Emanuel where would it go to school??!

I havent heard her speak hebrew yet so I am not sure of her accent.
I dont know if she is ashkenazi or sephard.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:01 pm
Although she is the type of poodle that will turn silver in a short while so never mind this no longer applies.

waterbottle

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:05 pm
I love dogs. We would get one if we had a house with a yard.

As for the expensive grooming, just let the poodle's hair grow naturally. I think natural poodles look much better than those manicured ones. Also, you can bathe the dog in the bathtub.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:24 pm
I grew up liking animals but my parets never wanted to b other with owning one ourselves. Ditto me as an adult; we all like pets but it's just too much trouble; we all work full time and there's no one around to care for a pet much.

And our life, living in the city is hard on an animal - I always think a bird should be free, not in a cage; a bunny in a field, not a hutch, etc.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 7:26 pm
I just washed the dog myself. It was a major event but she smells nice.

I need some advil.

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jun 20 2010, 11:45 pm
ValleyMom wrote:

I am so NOT an animal person--but I am trying!

I think you'll learn to love...frankly you sound halfway there! Poodles are nice...she's a standard?

They are very good animals.

marina

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 2:07 am
I need advice on a dog trainer. I gave in and got a dog and now I AM SO SORRY. It is a puppy and a huge amount of work, just like a baby and I REALLY WASN'T PLANNING ON HAVING A BABY JUST NOW and the kids don't really want to take care of it but they do want to start crying everytime I talk about craigslisting her.

It was a long day. The message of the story is DON'T BE A PUSHOVER, HOLD STRONG.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 9:15 am
waterbottle wrote:
I love dogs. We would get one if we had a house with a yard.

As for the expensive grooming, just let the poodle's hair grow naturally. I think natural poodles look much better than those manicured ones. Also, you can bathe the dog in the bathtub.

You can only let their hair grow out so much. It's like human hair, it's going to keep growing and growing and growing. Their poop will also get stuck in their rear if the hair's too long. Part of owning a poodle is knowing they require regular grooming, and it's generally fairly expensive. There's no way to get around it unless you do it yourself, but they NEED a cut at least every 3 months. You can trim around the eyes and mouth yourself if you want to stretch it out a little more, but when they're overgrown it's not fun for them or their owners!

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 9:41 am
marina wrote:
I need advice on a dog trainer. I gave in and got a dog and now I AM SO SORRY. It is a puppy and a huge amount of work, just like a baby and I REALLY WASN'T PLANNING ON HAVING A BABY JUST NOW and the kids don't really want to take care of it but they do want to start crying everytime I talk about craigslisting her.

It was a long day. The message of the story is DON'T BE A PUSHOVER, HOLD STRONG.

Crating...if the crate is roomy enough, may be your answer.

Puppies do need to be brought out frequently---Feed, water, then walk...don't leave the food out. Find out from the vet how often the puppy needs to be fed. Don't punish for accidents (I am thinking that is the biggest problem) but do praise effusively for successes.

They do grow out of it.

And yes, puppies are babies...

Should I tell you about how my cat wakes me at 5 in the morning by flicking my nose with her paw?

jewels

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:08 am
estibesty wrote:
most frum girls I know RUN with fear when they see a doggie even those cute little poodles

I grew up with my parents making sure we were not afraid of animals. When I was growing up our neighbors had these huge dogs and we were very encouraged to pet him and play with him. Because of that lack of fear I was very ok with my kids being around our neighbor's very cuddly very fluffy little dog. When my daughter was a year old this dog very viciously attacked her biting her all over her face (EMS said it was going for her neck due to the position of the bites but B'H she was a chubby kid and the dog couldnt get her there) and she needed a ridiculous amount of stitches and laser treatments to help heal. We were very lucky that it's not too bad but she still has scarring and she's absolutely terrified of dogs. She will probably need plastic surgery when she's older to really get rid of the scars but we'll leave that up to her to decide.

I still don't feel like people should be afraid of dogs and I cringe when I see grown women running away from animals and showing their kids that they should be afraid as well. I still encourage my kids to interact with dogs and other animals because I don't want her to have that very unhealthy fear. Most dogs will not attack a baby and most family pets are loving and gentle. However because of what happened I do think that although they are part of the family you do need to be constantly aware of the fact that they are animals and capable of behaving like one.

grace413

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:22 am
Jewels, so sorry to hear about your daughter. How scary.

I was bitten by a German Shepherd when I was 6 - just needed a few stitches. It left me relatively scared of big dogs. However, once I had kids I made sure to act normal around dogs because I don't want them to be afraid. (Actually I don't know why I worried, neither of them are afraid of anything).

They have been asking for a dog for years but DH and I said no. My DD makes friends with all the neighborhood dogs and helps out people by walking them.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:26 am
no doubt, puppies are a lot of work....thats why we got a 2 year old that came housebroken! We've had her 5 years now with almost no accidents. She's also never messed up carpet or furniture.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jun 21 2010, 10:31 am
Yeah, we got our dog when he was 1 year old. As much as I love puppies, I don't think I could deal with all the chewing, housebreaking, and bad puppy habits. Although, when you DO get them as puppies, you can make sure some bad habits are fixed - and that they're properly socialized.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics