Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Frying shnitzel

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:49 am
I know this is pretty basic but I've only ever baked my shnitzel. We're currently without an oven and my parents will be here for Shabbos.
How do you fry shnitzel? More exactly, how do you make sure the inside is done without the coating getting burnt?
Also, I usually dip them in honey mustard sauce then in crushed cornflakes. Will that work for frying or is it better to stick to the more "traditional" breadcrumbs or flour?

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 4:56 am
When I fry my shnitzel I use egg with salt and pepper and bread crumbs with paprika.
I use a lot of oil - not covering the shnitzel but deep enough to go up the sides.
A medium heat, fry until the crumbs are crunchy then turn and do the same on the other side. At this point I usually check with a fork if its done (I.e white inside) it usually is but if not I lower the flame and cook a little longer.
I never tried frying with honey mustered only baking so I can't help you there but cornflakes shouldn't be a problem.

Justlookup

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:04 am
I have the opposite sitch! I have no idea how to bake shnitzel! I one time tried and burnt it.
Can you tell me how u do it so that it comes out good?
And as for frying shnitzel, I make an egg mixture with some mustard, teriyaki sauce, eggs, and drop of lemon juice. I dip the shnitzel in the flour, eggs mixture and then bread crumbs and fry it - dh likes to do it with a lot of oil (as said before, not covering but steeped in till the sides) but I just make sure the bottom is well-oiled and refill if I see somewhere doesnt have oil (very imp. bec. that part wont fry well and may just burn on the outside).
When its done I put it on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil (and keep doing that in layers, paper towel, shnitzel, paper towl, shnitzel).
Good luck!

fiddle

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:13 am
I fry it on one side till the crumbs (matzah meal, corn flakes, or bread crumbs) are golden brown and flip it over and leave it in the pan until my fork goes in and out easily. I dont open it up to see it its white. when it slides out its done. also when the crumbs on each side are golden I take it out..... never had a problem with undercooked cutlets. and I dont use a ton of oil I use enough to halfway point of cutlet , and medium/high heat. and there shouldnt be a problem with what you use to dip it into.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:20 am
I'm also with fiddle. Pan-fry till golden then flip to do the same. They're thin to start with, so cooks pretty quickly. I also don't use much oil, basically enough just to coat the frying pan surface. You might have to add a bit more as you fry. You can tell if there isn't enough oil as the crumb doesn't turn golden but stays pale. If you use sweetish mustard dressing before breadcrumb, you may want to cook over medium rather than high flame to avoid the schnitzel burning. I use mix of a beaten egg and italian dressing before coating with a mix of cornflake crumbs and matzo meal. Comes out nicely everytime.

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:21 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I'm also with fiddle. Pan-fry till golden then flip to do the same. I also don't use much oil, basically enough just to coat the frying pan surface. You might have to add a bit more as you fry. You can tell if there isn't enough oil as the crumb doesn't turn golden but stays pale. If you use sweetish mustard dressing before breadcrumb, you may want to cook over medium rather than high flame to avoid the schnitzel burning.
sweetish? Swedish?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:34 am
meant sweet-ish, as I find most mustard dressing to be sweetened with sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 5:36 am
I know. I was bored (doing math homework with kid/imamother over here).

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 7:51 am
Thanks. I use the honey mustard since my toddler's allergic to egg so I can't use mayo or beaten eggs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey