Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah tip

smileyface

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 2:14 pm
I just read this online on gourmetkoshercooking.com and thought someone might be able to benefit from it. Im going to try it this week and see what happens.

“One of the keys to great challah making is in the rising. Here’s a tip: they need humidity to rise beautifully every time. If you have a proofing oven, great, but I can’t imagine that every home owner has a proofing oven in their kitchen, so an alternative would be to run the dishwasher for a cycle with no soap. When it’s done, place the challahs in the pan that they will be baked in, and put them in the dishwasher on a tray until they rise above the pan. Take them out and bake as your recipe instructs. Let them cool on a cooling rack, serve and wait for the compliments to follow!”

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 3:31 pm
What if you don't have a dishwasher? I'll bet she didn't think of that!

Liba

Post Tue, Jun 29 2010, 3:33 pm
I doubt many have pareve dishwashers even if they have dishwashers.

It is really dry here and my challah rises beautifully. I cover it in plastic though so it doesn't dry out.

shaini

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:24 am
A similar type of tip I've heard is to cover the bowl with the dough in it with damp tea towel.

bonitag1

Post Wed, Jun 30 2010, 1:48 am
I make my dough in the bread machine (knead only cycle) and after braiding, place the loaves on their baking sheet inside a white plastic trash bag for the second rising. Works great in the dry California climate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads