Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Big Brother - Orthodox Jew!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 10:18 pm
interesting show, but I had no idea I was committing myself to 3x 1 hr episodes a week. thats absurd!!

zigi

Post Thu, Jul 08 2010, 11:27 pm
myfriends715 wrote:
best line ever.. watching big brother online tonight and the frum guy ison this season who wears a yarmulka and some hick girl says"I think Andrew is Jewish, he wears a Yomkippur on his head LOL"

lol! so he is the one that is jewish. I thought so it was hard to tell from his picture

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 2:30 am
I watched the first episode and even some of the live feed. Andrew made a very bad first impression by pulling pranks the first day he was there, the other houseguests were very wary of him. Today was his first real nisayon, it was shabbos and he is ina total non jewish environment but he handled it very well. The houseguests are startign to trust him more and take him into their alliances. but the kosher food situation is driving him crazy; for shalosh sudeos he tried to eat some pitas and they were already moldy. he has very little food to eat. He also spent some time explaining yiddishkeit to the other houseguests. I must admit it was pretty funny here in NY when it was motzei shabbos to watch him during his own shabbos. he was saying tehillim or davening or something. I jsut dont understand how he can wear a microphone all shabbos. (he did refuse to change the batteries at 8 pm and said he needed another hour).

I wonder how long he'll last and how he'll manage to get buy. The Power Of Veto competition usually happens on Shabbos so he'll be at a huge disadvantage when he's up on the chopping block.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 2:30 am
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
interesting show, but I had no idea I was committing myself to 3x 1 hr episodes a week. thats absurd!!
Thank goodness he isnt on BBUk, they have a 1 hour episode EVERY DAY!

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 3:35 am
I don't see why it's so outlandish for a frum Jew to be on a show. I would love to win stuff on The Price is Right, and I always fantasize about winning The Biggest Loser. I asked dh what he thinks and he said he would die of embarrassment but if it makes me happy, I should apply. I couldn't bring myself to try America's Got Talent (I do know how to belch the ABCs) and I once applied to Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader but they didn't take me Very Happy Dh said afterward that it would've been a problem, because one of the contract clauses is that you can't run for public office for one year afterward. I plan on running for mayor, you know LOL

Zus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 9:56 am
Wait, huh? There was a frum guy on The Apprentice? When did that happen? I've seen every episode.

Kosher food is but 1 of the challenges Big Brother presents for frum people. I'm going to watch a few episodes to see how it plays out.
We had a frum guy in our Big Brother too a year or 2 ago. But that was a lot less problematic, with kosher food and all. They even brought in a minyan (and didn't broadcast) during YK.

Yakira

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 10:47 am
Zus wrote:
Wait, huh? There was a frum guy on The Apprentice? When did that happen? I've seen every episode.

Kosher food is but 1 of the challenges Big Brother presents for frum people. I'm going to watch a few episodes to see how it plays out.
We had a frum guy in our Big Brother too a year or 2 ago. But that was a lot less problematic, with kosher food and all. They even brought in a minyan (and didn't broadcast) during YK.

There were actually two frum guys that season and this guy made runner up (NBC played it live at the local fire house and it was very disappointing when he didn't win). his website.

Zus

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 10:53 am
Which season was that?

ETA oh right I remember him! But he wasn't frum.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 11:26 am
groisamomma wrote:
I don't see why it's so outlandish for a frum Jew to be on a show. I would love to win stuff on The Price is Right, and I always fantasize about winning The Biggest Loser. I asked dh what he thinks and he said he would die of embarrassment but if it makes me happy, I should apply. I couldn't bring myself to try America's Got Talent (I do know how to belch the ABCs) and I once applied to Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader but they didn't take me Very Happy Dh said afterward that it would've been a problem, because one of the contract clauses is that you can't run for public office for one year afterward. I plan on running for mayor, you know LOL

Being inthe big brother house is a lot different than any other reality show. he's locked into a house with 12 others (non Jews),there's hardly any kosher food, no minyan or sefer torah, and he has to deal with the prejudices of the others. plus, he has to wear a mic on shabbos!

It was pretty cool, I just switched on the live feed (I got a pirated address online but sorry I cant give it out) and he was davening, in his tzitzis and tefillin (no tallis). Pretty cool to watch him daven shemoneh esrai Very Happy. Now he's pouring himself some cheerios and milk. LOL. it's like having a camera into someone's house.

wonder how he'll manage on tisha b'av.

hannah95

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 1:05 pm
Oh I'm going to watch some episodes ! I has always wondered how a tv company would deal with the special demands of a jewish contestant. In France I'm pretty sure we will never have a frum jew on reality tv (not sure if it's something to be proud of btw), it would lead to a lot of anti semitic things over the internet I'm sure ...

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:21 pm
bubby wrote:
Isn't this reality stuff getting ridiculous? I keep reading about the Bachelor. Is the next one going to be The Shadchan?
]

I know this is a couple weeks late, but Bubby, THIS IS THE FUNNIEST COMMENT I HAVE HEARD IN MONTHS on the site!!!

"The Shadcan....on at 8 pm on your local network"

haahahahahaha Smile

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 4:23 pm
PS Does someone have a link to where the show can be watched online? I don't see it on hulu. Thanks!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 6:28 pm
it's on cbs.com a day later I think, or go to quirkydude's channel on youtube.

Yakira

Post Sun, Jul 11 2010, 9:56 pm
lol, my cousin told me she dated him! And that hes so nerdy on the show.

myfriends715

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 12:03 pm
I totally have a shidduch for him lol

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 12:07 pm
I watched both episodes last night on Fios instant watch. I don't know if I'll be able to stand watching anymore! Watching it is like fingers on a chalkboard!!!!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 12:22 pm
I watched the frist 2 episodes and I find this show the most revolting reality show ive ever seen- granted I have only watched a few.

The bottom line is that this is a show where people go in knowing they will spend 3 months away from their families with strangers who are trying to stab them in the back unless they are sleeping together, be forced into degrading situations and be treated like an animal, and spend the rest of their time loafing around doing nothing but sunbathing -and all this to be aired live 24/7 nationwide for the viewing pleasure of people who have nothing better to do with their time. All this for the off chance you may win money.

You couldn't pay me enough

myfriends715

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 12:28 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
I watched the frist 2 episodes and I find this show the most revolting reality show ive ever seen- granted I have only watched a few.

The bottom line is that this is a show where people go in knowing they will spend 3 months away from their families with strangers who are trying to stab them in the back unless they are sleeping together, be forced into degrading situations and be treated like an animal, and spend the rest of their time loafing around doing nothing but sunbathing -and all this to be aired live 24/7 nationwide for the viewing pleasure of people who have nothing better to do with their time. All this for the off chance you may win money.

You couldn't pay me enough

I would totally do it..

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 12:29 pm
more power to you. I just dont think I can watch anymore, not even to see a frum Jew on TV

kitov

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 7:39 pm
OK, so this thread tempted me to watch the first two episodes on cbs.com.
What should I say? I don't care whether ppl eat cockroaches or swim in sewers to get money, regardless if they're buddhist or jewish. What disgusts me is, that in time of a national economic crisis, humans can take gazzillions of food and use it for the sole purpose of entertainment by humiliating others. Who gains what by wasting gallons of caramel or popcorn or ketchup or mustard? Only yidden have this thing of oiver bal tashchis, but this is reaally bad, even for a non-jew.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics