Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Big Brother - Orthodox Jew!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 12:01 am
Kitov... you are blessedly naive. The entertainment industry will do ANYTHING for ratings and $$$ and wasting popcorn is one of the least offensive things they can do.

Episode 3 aired tonight. Andrew does not come off looking good. On the live feed he looks a bit better, but still... his days are numbered there.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 12:07 am
and Ima, I agree with you wholeheaetedly. but that's the reality about reality shows. also, you havent seen ANYTHING - youre seeing 3 days worth of stuff condensed into 1 hour. during the entire 3 days the bitching, backstabbing, and gameplaying is endless. it's the antithesis of everything yiddishkeit stands for - the loshon hora, the motzi shem ra, honaas devoraim and worse.

admittedly BB US is the only country inw hich this type of gameplay happens. In the internantional BB the public votes out the nominated housemates, not the housemates themselves, and it's considered a 'crime' to gameplay and talk behind other's backs. they also have daily tasks, and the show is aired nightely, so it's a lot less boring and the housemates are a lot less bored to death as there's always something happening.

Then again BBUS has the highest ratings, and BBUK and BBAus have been cancelled while BBUS is goinng strong...

the entire reality show thing shtinkt fin kup.... this year it's only riveting for us because of Andrew. who I suspect will last 1 more week, tops 2.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 12:12 am
Mama Bear wrote:
it's the antithesis of everything yiddishkeit stands for - the loshon hora, the motzi shem ra, honaas devoraim and worse.

So why do you watch it?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Jul 15 2010, 1:04 am
sequoia wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
it's the antithesis of everything yiddishkeit stands for - the loshon hora, the motzi shem ra, honaas devoraim and worse.

So why do you watch it?
lol just because of Andrew. It's interesting to see a frum Yid on screen. Once he's evicted I doubt I'll continue.

JC

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 10:01 pm
He is an embarrassment Sad

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:31 pm
JC wrote:

unfortunately, you are correct. I would vote him off if I could

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:34 pm
Spoiler: he narrowly avoided being put up on the block this week. You'll see on wednesday.

he mentioned today he's fasting. let's see how he manages..

JC

Post Mon, Jul 19 2010, 11:49 pm
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
JC wrote:

I should rephrase that - THIS is an embarrassment, not 'he'
I know that the show will portray you in the worst possible way no matter how smooth and put together you are.

Didnt he have anyone to advise him that perhaps he doesnt have the personality for this show???? Forget about the religion thing, we all know people who are smooth operators and can handle a show like this and then we know people who arent.
What is it about our community that this poor guy didnt have the chevra to tell him point blank that this show just isnt for you. Are his friends just being too nice to him and not want to hurt his feeling? or are they so supportive that they are unrealistic... or are they mean and look forward to him failing?

Sorry if anyone here knows him personally, but if this is the way he acts in real life (which it may not be) where were his people to be brutally honest and stop the train wreck before it collided with the rest of the world.

I hope this isnt taken in the wrong way, I dont mean to come down on this guy, and this post isnt about his actions because he is probably a really nice guy - just in the wrong situation that paints him in a less than flattering light. BUT where are the people around him- Im sure he must have consulted someone (friend or mentor) about if he should do this, why werent they watching out for him???

I also realize that he may have not listened to those who may have told him not to do it.

I guess I was just hurting for him - bec I cant imagine I would be happy if I looked back and saw the way I behave (my silly laugh... getting caught with stains on my shirt... all the normal occurrences in my life) broadcast to the world like BB does... which is why I wouldnt be caught dead on one of those shows.

I think I will post on another thread about how far we should go to stop someone from doing something that may likely embarrass them.

JC

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:05 pm
He explained about sawyouatsinai on the live feed - I hope that doesnt make it to prime time tv.

Chocoholic

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:12 pm
He went all out about shiduchim Smile

JC

Post Tue, Jul 27 2010, 11:13 pm
so how do you think this will effect his chances when he get kicked out?

momto4

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 12:48 am
how do u watch the live feed?

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 1:28 am
andrew is most definitely getting evicted this thursday. He is up against Kathy, Kathy was the target. However he made a very stupid move during the POV (Which you'll see tonight), and the entire house turnred against him,t hey decided he's a threat and liability, and he might yet be voted out by a 8-0 vote. I'm sad for him that he turned the house against him with his stupidity, but I guess it's bashert for him to only last 3 weeks in the house.

There's a rumor that the first 4 evictees will have a chance to be voted back in by america, because there isnt a 14th housemate. Who knows....

mommalah

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 8:09 am
kitov wrote:
OK, so this thread tempted me to watch the first two episodes on cbs.com.
What should I say? I don't care whether ppl eat cockroaches or swim in sewers to get money, regardless if they're buddhist or jewish. What disgusts me is, that in time of a national economic crisis, humans can take gazzillions of food and use it for the sole purpose of entertainment by humiliating others. Who gains what by wasting gallons of caramel or popcorn or ketchup or mustard? Only yidden have this thing of oiver bal tashchis, but this is reaally bad, even for a non-jew.

Just because it is an aveira to be wasteful doesn't mean all Jews follow it or that non jews are routinely oiver it. I know many yidden who throw away all their leftovers after Shabbos. on a regular basis And live off of plastic plates, cups, spoons, tablecloths, etc. And I know many non jews who are of the mentality to reuse and recycle everything. Your generalizations are quite bigoted.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 28 2010, 9:19 pm
The fun is over, andrew is so going tomorrow. he keeps shooting himself in the foot. The POV speech killed most of his support, and he had a huge fight with Kristen this morning which sealed his fate completely. But I'm so off the pro-Andrew bandwagon after watching him writing during the POV task, which as far as I know was during Shabbos... unless I'm wrong.

Bye bye Captain Kosher!

kitov

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:44 pm
Is Andrew's stay in the house takkeh in gesisah?

kitov

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:49 pm
mommalah wrote:
kitov wrote:
OK, so this thread tempted me to watch the first two episodes on cbs.com.
What should I say? I don't care whether ppl eat cockroaches or swim in sewers to get money, regardless if they're buddhist or jewish. What disgusts me is, that in time of a national economic crisis, humans can take gazzillions of food and use it for the sole purpose of entertainment by humiliating others. Who gains what by wasting gallons of caramel or popcorn or ketchup or mustard? Only yidden have this thing of oiver bal tashchis, but this is reaally bad, even for a non-jew.

Just because it is an aveira to be wasteful doesn't mean all Jews follow it or that non jews are routinely oiver it. I know many yidden who throw away all their leftovers after Shabbos. on a regular basis And live off of plastic plates, cups, spoons, tablecloths, etc. And I know many non jews who are of the mentality to reuse and recycle everything. Your generalizations are quite bigoted.
I'm sorry my post might not have been clear. I'm trying to say a yid actually has an aveira when wasting useful stuff, so when he's oiver it's not only a disgrace, it's a sin too. Now since sinning on bal tashches doesn't apply to non-jews, and unless they are into conserving the universe or what, they absolutely can use/abuse food to their desire without an issue. However, I find it distasteful on TV.

And BTW, I don't enjoy the word bigotry, it wasn't in any way being deserved here. embarrassed

mominlkwd

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:56 pm
JC wrote:
Ima2NYM_LTR wrote:
JC wrote:

I should rephrase that - THIS is an embarrassment, not 'he'
I know that the show will portray you in the worst possible way no matter how smooth and put together you are.

Didnt he have anyone to advise him that perhaps he doesnt have the personality for this show???? Forget about the religion thing, we all know people who are smooth operators and can handle a show like this and then we know people who arent.
What is it about our community that this poor guy didnt have the chevra to tell him point blank that this show just isnt for you. Are his friends just being too nice to him and not want to hurt his feeling? or are they so supportive that they are unrealistic... or are they mean and look forward to him failing?

Sorry if anyone here knows him personally, but if this is the way he acts in real life (which it may not be) where were his people to be brutally honest and stop the train wreck before it collided with the rest of the world.

I hope this isnt taken in the wrong way, I dont mean to come down on this guy, and this post isnt about his actions because he is probably a really nice guy - just in the wrong situation that paints him in a less than flattering light. BUT where are the people around him- Im sure he must have consulted someone (friend or mentor) about if he should do this, why werent they watching out for him???

I also realize that he may have not listened to those who may have told him not to do it.

I guess I was just hurting for him - bec I cant imagine I would be happy if I looked back and saw the way I behave (my silly laugh... getting caught with stains on my shirt... all the normal occurrences in my life) broadcast to the world like BB does... which is why I wouldnt be caught dead on one of those shows.

I think I will post on another thread about how far we should go to stop someone from doing something that may likely embarrass them.

I agree, I watched a few episodes just to see what everyone is talking about and even got my DH to watch part of it to see his reaction and we both can't figure out why BB cast him. I'm sure he's nice in real life but everyone else on the show is so suave and cool and he is a typical jewish nerd. He is so uncomfortable around people, I cringe just thinking about it now. I remember a few seasons ago they also had a jew on who was very nerdy, is this what they think we are all like? or is it just a stereotype they want to keep up on television? I can't imagine they couldn't have found a really cool, with it frum guy.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 12:58 pm
lol Andrew is the jew and he is so funny. No chillul hash-m. they respect him I think... he is funny tho all busy with his kosher food and how he cant be a have not because the slop isnt kosher!!

kitov

Post Thu, Jul 29 2010, 9:04 pm
Nuh?
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics