Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need ideas and recipe for upsherin

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:43 pm
I want to have some nice platters of some yummy home baked goods. for those that did this at their upsherin, or at a party, can you give me some good ideas. I can do the usual choc chip cookie and oatmeal thing, but thats boring. Im doing brownies in a dump truck for a construction theme. other than that, have no other ideas?

anyone. its getting closer and im freaking

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:00 pm
maybe you want to stick with the easy boring stuff but change it a bit to make it interesting.
ie. use colorful chocolate chips, glaze, dip in chocolate, etc.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:03 pm
thats a good point. I mean I want to get all those nice petit fours and stuff, I spent too much already, so I want to stick with ideas that I can make at home. but you have good points!

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:10 pm
also, maybe someone has a good recipe for Napoleons. everyone loves those, and its just puffed pastry and cream, I think.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:11 pm
good idea again, anyone?

willow

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:14 pm
shayna82 wrote:
Im doing brownies in a dump truck for a construction theme. other than that, have no other ideas?

Very creative Very Happy

red sea

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:23 pm
you could do cookie cutter type cookies using basic shapes and draw on them to make them into traffic type signs, I wonder if it could work to bake them on lollypop sticks, also flat bottomed ice cream cones you fill with cake batter and then frost and sprinkle to look like ice cream cones, stick to he color theme of constuction with the frosting and sprinkles

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:26 pm
thanks to all of you for your ideas. I like the cream thing. although at this point I have tons of nosh ideas like that for the kids. I need more classier cookies for the adults.

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:47 pm
how about turnovers? you can just buy the dough, add cherry or apple pie filling (or whatever), bake and glaze. they come out beautiful.
lots of people make black and whites.
heres another easy idea: make a basic cookie dough, cut out flower shaped cookies- make double the amount of cookies, when finished baking add a bit of jelly to stick two together to make a sandwich. ive seen those in bakeries.

mamaluv

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 3:05 pm
A have a nice idea that can go with fruit, it's not a cookie, cake or muffin. You know the very small brown planters? Fill it with choc. mousse and stick a small fake flower in each pot. You can sprinkle some choc. sprinkles or put some cocoa powder on top of mousse. It's very cute and different. It also goes with your earth/dump truck theme. Someone told me they got this idea from the restaurant abigael's. Once you invest in the planters you always have it. It's just an idea.
A nice cake idea that is very simple and nice bake a round brownie cake cover it with a choc. cream and decorate the top with few candy flowers. The flowers come in pretty colors and an easy way to make the cake look nice.

Good Luck Smile

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 3:08 pm
puff pastry dough does not "keep" well, I'd make the stuff that day only.

DevorahF

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 1:33 am
shayna82 try the new kosher pallette 2 they have elegant desserts in there which are easy and look great. also, why not try making some desserts in mini? like small choc. chip pies, or small lemonmeringues in induvidual graham cracker crust, that always makes them look elegant.
I dip fruit in chocolate. cut up melon, or leave berries whole dry with a paper towel and dip half in melted chocolate, then let it dry on parchment paper.
looks elegant, for the kids you can dip the long pretzel rods and rol them in chopped nuts or sprinkles, and these look beautiful when arranged in a short vase or mug.
mazal tov and dont go to crazy!!

shayna82

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 12:10 pm
MSJ wrote:
A have a nice idea that can go with fruit, it's not a cookie, cake or muffin. You know the very small brown planters? Fill it with choc. mousse and stick a small fake flower in each pot. You can sprinkle some choc. sprinkles or put some cocoa powder on top of mousse. It's very cute and different. It also goes with your earth/dump truck theme. Someone told me they got this idea from the restaurant abigael's. Once you invest in the planters you always have it. It's just an idea.
A nice cake idea that is very simple and nice bake a round brownie cake cover it with a choc. cream and decorate the top with few candy flowers. The flowers come in pretty colors and an easy way to make the cake look nice.

Good Luck Smile

good idea, im adding it to the maybe list.

thanks devorahf for that tip, and thank you sarag for that tip that I wouldnt have known otherwise.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins