Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Crumb topping without wheat?

SorGold

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:57 am
Does anyone have a good recipe for a crumb topping without wheat? I'd like to make something with oats and not have to buy any specialty flours. I dont really want to make a Pesachdik recipe because all mine have nuts and potato starch and oats seem so much healthier. Could I do oats and potato starch or tapioca starch (I have them)? Recipes or ideas anyone?
TIA

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:46 pm
Why not try it ?

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:48 pm
What kind of topping? I do my regular apple crumble topping with whole spelt flour. 3 cups flour, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 2 sticks margarine. Perfect.

Chavelamomela

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:00 pm
I have replaced the flour in crumb topping recipes with a combination of corn meal and corn starch (about half of each). This works well. (When I cook for my wheat-free parents).

KosherCook

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:03 pm
What do you need the topping for? When I make crumble I often use oats in place of flour.
You can also buy oat flour which you may be able to use in place of regular flour.

yOungM0mmy

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 4:17 am
KosherCook wrote:
What do you need the topping for? When I make crumble I often use oats in place of flour.
You can also buy oat flour which you may be able to use in place of regular flour.

Apparently oat flour is often contaminated with other kinds, so if you're highly sensitive it's not recommended. But you can put your own oats in the liquidiser and make flour, or leave some bits a little bigger for more texture.

SorGold

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 9:57 am
DS seems to be sensitive to wheat and spelt.
Thanks, I'm gonna take everyone's suggestions. I think I'm going to try to chop instant oats in the food processer to make it finer and see what happens. Maybe I'll add a little corn starch also (didnt think of that.) I was going to use the crumbs to top an apple or peach cobbler.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:52 am
I have a recipe that calls for 1 C oatmeal, 1 C flour, 3/4 C brown sugar, and 1/2 C margarine.

I don't know if you can subsitute something for the flour here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes