Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Tzizis before toilet-trained (before upsher)

happy chick

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 3:09 pm
is there any source for not putting on kids tzizis before they are toilet trained. I have always heard this, but dont know where its from. dh has never heard of this. anyone?

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 3:50 pm
afaik, you can't have a child who soils himself before while wearing tzitzis. I always thought it was a hard and fast rule, though I had a friend whose child wore them before he was trained. Meanwhile, a year later, totally trained on the potty but doesn't wear tzitzis.

Marion

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 2:40 pm
It's not considered mechubad to the tzitzit to be soiled on.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 2:45 pm
If a child is still pishing in his pants, it's not mechubad to have him in Tzitzit.
I trained my boys to remove their tzitziyot when they need to sit on the toilet. Too many damp strings taught me a lesson, and that surely isn't mechubad!
For a child who is three and still wetting, I'd put the tzitzit on, make a bracha, then take them off until he's dry. You have your chinuch there and the kavod as well.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:29 am
When my friend's son was almost 3 and not trained she was sure that she was not allowed to put tzitzis on him. Her DH thought she was crazy and actually asked a shaila. He was told that this is total shtus and ther is no reason not to put on tzitzis as long as you keep them clean (ie make sure the tzitzis are not IN the diaper and are out of the way when they start using the toilet).

Marion

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 12:58 am
mamaleh wrote:
When my friend's son was almost 3 and not trained she was sure that she was not allowed to put tzitzis on him. Her DH thought she was crazy and actually asked a shaila. He was told that this is total shtus and ther is no reason not to put on tzitzis as long as you keep them clean (ie make sure the tzitzis are not IN the diaper and are out of the way when they start using the toilet).
Yes, well, it's the "out of the way" part that most kids have difficulty with. They're fine when they're standing, but many boys start off sitting. My [not yet] 3 year old doesn't miss...but he refuses to use a seat insert and he's tiny; if he's not holding on with both hands he falls in. How should he keep tzitzit out of the way exactly? My 4.5 year old asks to have his tzitzit removed when he needs to sit; he can hold them out of the way when he's standing.

happy chick

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 9:44 am
mamaleh, are you lubavitch? do you know which rav they asked?

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 9:58 am
We were told no tzitzis as long as the child was still making BMs in their diaper or underwear.

If you put them on before toilet training, do you take them off while training? My son was getting all of his clothes dirty for quiet a while while we were in process.

FWIW He was over four before he was clean enough to wear tzitzis.

Atali

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 10:26 am
For Lubavitchers,

There was an article about this in an old Nshei Chabad newsletter that basically said that there is no source for saying that tzitzis can't be worn by a child in a diaper (after all, they can be worn in the bathroom). It also brought sources that tzitzis should be started before three and may be started as soon as the child can walk.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 10:54 am
happy chick wrote:
mamaleh, are you lubavitch? do you know which rav they asked?

I am not lubavitch. I believe they asked one of the local poskim in Lakewood (although I'm not positive)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics