Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Almost 4 y.o. still goes 2 sleep with a bottle

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:29 pm
My pediatrician totally freaked out today when I told him that DD still falls asleep with a bottle and she still wets her pull up during the night sometimes embarrassed . Am I really as crazy as the dr makes me feel? I know its a bad habit but dunno of another way she'll fall asleep. DD is a very sensitive child & she goes nuts with every little change in routine.

Any input?

ganizzy

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:33 pm
does she have anything in her bottle?
if yes then warn her that in 2 weeks or another set time there will be only water in her bottle, then after a while take her off completely.

if she only has water in the bottle then make a cut off date, that when she turns 4 there will be no more bottles at night. keep on reminding her every few days that she will be a big girls with no bottle and maybe even no pull up.
it isnt easy but after a few night they get used to it (all 3 of my kids were bottle babies)
if she needs a replacement take her to the store and make a big deal out of buying a new sippy cup - one with a straw

Marion

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 9:22 am
Baby bottle mouth is NOT fun! Definitely time for a sippy cup of water for those times she is thirsty. She should by now be getting her nutritional needs met during meal and snack times.

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:24 am
No youre not crazy. I just weaned my son off his bottle and hes 3.5
I explained to him that we will be going to dentist and he checks the teeth and bottles make the teeth brown. It took at least a week before he was able to go to sleep without a bottle.
But he does need me there to lie with him for few minutes- as a substitute for his bottle. I have no problem with this as this is the comfort hes missing from the bottle and eventually hell get used to it.

Start talking to her and tell her youll throw away the bottles together soon.
Gluck

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:52 am
We threw that stuff out, like bottles and pacificers, at a year. Keep it in mind for the future.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:54 am
I "threw away" (hid) my dd's pacifiers when she turned three.
Result: a few days after we were at the airport, and she threw a crazy tantrum for a paci. I had to go out of the travel area, walk through 3 terminals with a shrieking toddler, buy a paci, run back, show my papers and go through detectors again. Yay. Not.

JRKmommy

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:27 am
1. If anything other than water is in the bottle, it can cause a severe form of tooth decay. I've had cases that were so severe that the child needed surgery under general anesthesia in order to prevent an absess from potentially reaching the brain.

2. If it's just water, the main concerns are (a) orthodontic concerns, (b) staying dry at night and related hygiene issues, and (3) learning to fall asleep without it as an aid.

3. Dedicate a week to this. Tell yourself that it may be a week with screaming and not much sleep....but you know that you are not torturing your child and that this is truly in her best interests. After this week, picture her managing to sleep without the bottle.

4. Tell her that the doctor said that the bottle is not healthy for her. Throw it away. Do this during the day, not just before bed.

5. At bedtime, give her a bath, brush teeth, and let her have a drink of water. Tuck her in and read a story together. Tell her that you will stay with her in her room as long as she's lying down, being still and quiet, with her eyes closed. You can give her a gentle back rub. If she cries or says anything, get up to leave, reminding her of the rule. If she quiets down and lies still with eyes closed, sit back down beside her. Repeat as necessary. If she's tired, then having you beside her and lying down quietty with eyes closed should send her into dreamland.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:32 am
we weaned my son at 3yrs 9 months off his bottle. we gave him a sippy cup that had a straw, put it near his bed and told him to drink from it when he felt thirsty. he was weaned in 2 days.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 8:50 pm
she is too sensitive to every little change. I just dont have the courage to do this! Right after Sukkos I hope to start working on this. I'm shocked to see that there wasnt even one "nah, no big deal" response! I do come across ppl here or there that tell me their 5 year olds still drink bottles from time to time...

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 1:24 am
Is she your first child?

I understand that some children are sensitive. My oldest dd certainly was. However....you learn over time that if what you are doing is necessary and not objectively harmful, your child will be fine. She may not be happy, and may cry for a few nights, but that is not the end of the world. Just tell yourself that you love her enough to do what is best for her dental health and long-term sleep habits, even if it means a few difficult nights.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 2:06 am
OP lets do it together. I also have the same problem. I really just dont want to go thru the tantrums, and the stay up at night routine. I know I should but....
I said when she turns 4 I would cut her off completely. the other problem is my 1.5 yr old uses a bottle, but he could take it or leave it.

I'll have to let the neighbors know, I'm starting, u guys just don't know.
I have an idea, can she come stay by one of u, until she is weaned, other than the bottle issue she is a great help around the hse, not high maintenance at all...except for the bottle. LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics