Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
How do I drape curtains for my sukkah?

SleepingBeauty

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:32 am
I want to drape curtains on my sukkah but from past experience I know it takes forever to do and it never comes out good!

I tried searching online for a "how-to" but they all come with instructions using a rod/pole. I do not want to do something so major for my sukkah.

Is there anyone that would be able to give me detailed instructions on how to do this?

mandksima

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:52 am
Do you mean drape curtains over a window or drape fabric for the walls? Do you have a wooden sukkah? If yes, you could use a staple gun to attach and it can be removed with a flat screwdriver to pull out the staples afterward. You could also use velcro to attach curtains over a window. Glue side A of velcro to wooden wall and sew side B onto back of curtains.

SleepingBeauty

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 8:42 am
Thanks for the response

I want to drape a whole wall, just for the effect. I want a valence effect, I don't know how to describe it. I know I could use a staplegun, I need to know how to do it so that it looks good, it's quite impossible Sad

sky

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:51 am
What about hanging PVC piping along the top with hooks. It could come off easily to store for the next year and wouldn't be too much money. It
My mom has a valance were the fabric is folded and pleeted on piece of wood that sticks out of the window. Its just stapled gunned on. I guess you'd just have to get the folds correct.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:35 am
we place our decorations on the wals with velcro - it was a great idea that a neighbor had given us - easy on - easy off - and it stays there without falling!!! we label our decorations on the back side andon the wall to know where each is supposed to go...
that being said - u can try velcro as mentioned above
or - screw in a hanging rod under the schach (as I it were a regular wall) and hang the valance from there.

very interesting and "home-y" idea - have you seen it done anywhere else???!

aidelmaidel

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 11:50 am
Due to our gate in our old apartment, we could not have a "door" on our sukkah. The first year I bought coffee cup hooks that you can screw into the "wall" (a 2x4) and then hung a shower curtain liner on it and used heavy duty velcro to keep it "closed". That worked except the velcro was too strong and the vinyl ripped.

Last year we bought a closet rod and screwed it to the 2x4s on each side of the "door frame" of the sukkah and then hung a beautiful fabric shower curtain on the rod on shower curtain rings. It was a machaya!

Could you staple the fabric on the boards on the outside, drape over the top (before the schach goes on) and then staple again at the bottom?

It sounds beautiful, but a potchke!

I saw in queens once a family that had one wall of their wood sukkah was replaced with clear fiberglass and then they painted it to look like a stained glass window - gorgeous!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains