Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
? For all of you internet mavens...

momaleh

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 6:09 am
I have an idea for a web site that deals with a lot of information about a certain subject, and I would like to use it to make $$$. What is the best platform for this? I want to put adsense, etc. Please post ideas for hosting, or even companies that provide a good platform.
I am NOT looking to pay a developer or put out a lot of cash.
I also don't have enough experience to do all myself.
Any experience with this?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 9:22 am
Is it something you're going to manage on your own for the most part -- uploading and putting up information?

I'd highly suggest looking at wordpress. You can create a site at wordpress.com and play around with it, and when you're ready to go on your own and have it hosted elsewhere, you can do so. Wordpress allows you to add in plugins, has plenty of themes to customize your site, and has a very user-friendly content management system.

PM me if you'd like to see some example sites on wordpress.

preempservices

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 11:36 am
Not my expertise, but I have heard that godaddy is a good reasonably price host.

leowald

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 5:27 pm
I personally find other hosts easier to use then godaddy (I am an internet programmer). I would recommend Bluehost I have worked with a lot of hosts and I find them to be very good and helpful when there are problems.

I also would recommend wordpress as an easy inexpensive alternative to making a site from scratch. You can install wordpress with one click on bluehost and it will install it for you. On godaddy, from what I remember, there is no such feature and you will have to pay someone

Hatzlacha,
Let me know if you need any other help,

Leora

Chanukah-Cards.com

Isramom8

Post Wed, Oct 13 2010, 5:30 pm
SBI Site Build It! - amazing amount of info and takes you through building uour pares step by step!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 12:54 am
leo---- I use godaddy and wordpress--- one click install, no problemo.

e1234

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 3:13 am
godaddy is fine for simple sites.
it's the more complicated sites and ingtegrating with payment processors that gets more problematic with godaddy.

I have a good host that I set up for my clients (I'm a web developer)(-- if pm me I can give you the info.

wordpress is good if it fits your needs.

leowald

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 3:31 am
Thanks TwinsMommy for letting me know.
I never saw that it has that feature, maybe it is something new? Have not really used it much, I find the other hosts I use easier to navigate, but maybe because I just got used to them.

Leora
Chanukah-cards.com

momaleh

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 3:47 am
THanks for all of the replies. I actually have a bluehost account for another site, and they can host multiple sites for the same price, so I will possibly do WP on that host. I have been using godaddy for my domain buying, but that's all, since more developers I have known or used don't like it too much.
I meant perhaps a host that does all of the ads for you, maybe that's not quite a host, what would you call that?
I'll check out site build it, I've heard of them before.

Everyone is talking about wordpress, but I don't know how to set these things up. Is it easy? I can learn these things, but usually not figure them out myself.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 10:08 am
Wordpress is VERY easy.
As to your PM, plugins are just prewritten code that you install to do what you want it to do without you needing to write the code.
Let's say you want to have a slideshow of pictures. You would press a button to install a plugin you searched for that does exactly that. Pretty simple.

Customization means something catered to your site. No need for you to have a designer make layout, when you can install a "theme" predesigned and just use that.

For adsense, you would go to Plugins -> Add New and search for adsense. There are a lot. Manager, Revenue Sharing, All in One, etc and these interfaces should help you once installed.

momaleh

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 2:18 pm
Thanks! I will check out wordpress a little bit more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers