Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My almost 2 year old wont take a bath!!

avigail

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 5:10 am
he loves playing with water, washing hands etc, but will never willingly go into a bathtub, even a pool. once I get him in anywy, he refuses to sit down, yells when I wash his hair. I keep trying new toys/distractions and they sometimes work. but its getting ridiculous! bath time is too hard! any ideas?

Liba

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 5:14 am
Smile Keep at it and IY"H it will get better over time.

I had a SIL like that. They had code names to prevent her from panicking too soon and she learned them all.

No 2 Oh was a common screech.

B"H She is in high school and showers regularly with no protest now.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 6:14 am
My son also went thru a similar stage. I realized after a while that he had developed a fear of the water getting into his eyes. Therefore, I would use the shower head to wash the shampoo from his hair while holding my hand on his forhead to protect his eys. You can also buy a foam visor for the same purpose.

Have you tried bath crayons, stickers, foam applications?

Just another idea, but maybe you can buy one of those tubes that the baby sits in with toys around it? I think that it's officially made for kids up to 18 months, but you never know...

avigail

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 2:51 am
I think thats the problem too- fear of water in the eyes- I always have my hand on his forehead, but when he pulls away cuz hes upset water gets in his eyes anyway. I thought about the visor- not sure where to buy one, and I doubt hed let me put it on. weve tried crayons, books, rubber ducks, bubbles.... why do you thinka chair would help? he cant go anywhere, or he'd be less scared?

est

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 3:40 am
all my kids went thru this stage. I would just put them in the EMPTY bath and shower them down as fast as poss and take them out. after awhile they got used to that and would stop crying the minute the shower was over. then I left in the plug so there was a little water in the bath at the end of the shower and I would try without making a deal out of it to get them to play with it whilst they were standing. I would gently splash them with some water. slowly slowly I would increase the water each time and eventually was able to lower them in whilst supporting them all the time. before long I could go back to normal baths.

best not to make a fuss over them and persuading won't really work as they are too little to listen to reason. they just need to overcome their fear slowly slowly...
hatzlocha!

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 3:45 am
avigail wrote:
I think thats the problem too- fear of water in the eyes- I always have my hand on his forehead, but when he pulls away cuz hes upset water gets in his eyes anyway. I thought about the visor- not sure where to buy one, and I doubt hed let me put it on. weve tried crayons, books, rubber ducks, bubbles.... why do you thinka chair would help? he cant go anywhere, or he'd be less scared?

Yes to both, but also because he might me distracted, feel more safe and secure, and its fun!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics