Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Keeping a coat/entry closet smelling fresh

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 6:21 pm
I find that the coat closet gets to smell somewhat 'rainy' or just unfresh when in use during fall-spring. How do you keep it smelling fresh and pleasant? I don't hang up any wet coats (obviously), but it still gets this kind of musty smell.

Any and all ideas and suggestions welcome.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 6:27 pm
I don't have any suggestions or anything, but I WANT ONE!!!!!! Crying Crying
Every place we've ever lived, I made sure there was one, but there isn't any place here that has one. I CAN'T STAND IT!!!

Okay, I'm sorry, go on!! LOL

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:30 pm
Maybe take everything out, wipe it down with some cleanser and let the coats air out (outside?)....I've never really thought about it, as that's so low on my list of things to do it doesn't even exist.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:33 pm
I empty out the coat closet once a month and vacuum the carpet inside and it smells fine.

maybe try fabreze too or keep some potpourri tucked somewhere in the closet?

chestnut

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:33 pm
how about putting in those nice smelling pouches (made specially for this)?
alternatively, you can put nicely smelling soap or a sheet for the dryer in there (and into linen closets, underwear drawers, etc)

goodheart

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:39 pm
if u have a outlet in the closet? put one of the plug ins it helps!

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:51 pm
potpuri or bar soap

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:00 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Maybe take everything out, wipe it down with some cleanser and let the coats air out (outside?)....I've never really thought about it, as that's so low on my list of things to do it doesn't even exist.

Oh, I do that. I wash it down with soap and lots of suds to really get the dust/smell out. But a coat closet just gets that musty smell IME.

nicole81 wrote:
I empty out the coat closet once a month and vacuum the carpet inside and it smells fine.

maybe try fabreze too or keep some potpourri tucked somewhere in the closet?

I don't have carpet, so that's a HUGE plus IMO.

I usually put a bar of Irish Spring soap and it really helps, but not for very long. I tried the bounce sheets etc...

I thought maybe someone has a magical solution.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:03 pm
is it the closet or the coats that smell?

maybe laundering the coats more frequently would help?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:05 pm
nicole81 wrote:
is it the closet or the coats that smell?

maybe laundering the coats more frequently would help?

It doesn't 'smell', it just isn't fresh. All my closets smell fresh with washing/dusting/cleaning and something to keep it smelling fresh. The coat closet just doesn't have that 'fresh' smell. The coats are laundered often and each coat individually doesn't smell.

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:05 pm
Potpourri sachets would probably do the trick. You gotta shake'm up once in a while and change it every now and then.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:14 pm
pumpernickle wrote:
Potpourri sachets would probably do the trick. You gotta shake'm up once in a while and change it every now and then.

Somehow, the potpourri fragrance just doesn't suit a coat closet.

mae1984

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 1:22 am
I throw drier sheets into those cupboards...

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 4:37 pm
mae1984 wrote:
I throw drier sheets into those cupboards...

How often do you need to exchange them?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 5:28 pm
Hanging those scented wood or potpouri sachets on the hangers of all the coats in use during the season should help.
It's that "rain smell" that clings to the coats. One coat alone doesn't smell if dry cleaned often enough. But being together with all the rest of the rainy coats in a closet creates that smell IMO.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 5:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hanging those scented wood or potpouri sachets on the hangers of all the coats in use during the season should help.
It's that "rain smell" that clings to the coats. One coat alone doesn't smell if dry cleaned often enough. But being together with all the rest of the rainy coats in a closet creates that smell IMO.

I have the cedar blocks/bags. Doesn't help much.

Yes, just a dank smell. I love everything to smell really really fresh.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:05 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Sorry. I wish I knew what to say, other than launder the coats after every drizzle, which in my opinion is impossible.
I'm sorry you are having that dank smell in your closet. The location of the closet as well as it's design must play a role in the smell.

On a similar note, my leather blend recliner seems to have a smell in the fall/winter. I wash it regularly. I tried water. Vinegar. Leather cleaner.
It doesn't smell in the spring or summer.
Could the warm radiator behind it be the culprit? (The radiator connection just came to me as I was writing this.)
Does anyone know what I can do to keep the smell away? I only smell it when I lie down on the recliner. Not when I just sit or rock on it. LOL.

life'sgreat

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 6:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

Sorry. I wish I knew what to say, other than launder the coats after every drizzle, which in my opinion is impossible.
I'm sorry you are having that dank smell in your closet. The location of the closet as well as it's design must play a role in the smell.

On a similar note, my leather blend recliner seems to have a smell in the fall/winter. I wash it regularly. I tried water. Vinegar. Leather cleaner.
It doesn't smell in the spring or summer.
Could the warm radiator behind it be the culprit? (The radiator connection just came to me as I was writing this.)
Does anyone know what I can do to keep the smell away? I only smell it when I lie down on the recliner. Not when I just sit or rock on it. LOL.

IMO, yes, the radiator most likely plays a role.

kitov

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 7:35 pm
I've seen in stores battery operated fan powered fragrance gadgets by either air wick, glade, or some other brand.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Sep 11 2011, 4:41 pm
Simply leave the door wide open, for one half hour every day, as a set routine, at convenient time. Possibly very early in the day, when you get the newspaper off the doorstep, or right after DH leaves. That's it.

If it is never aired, it is not going to lose that closed in smell, no matter what else you do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry