Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Whole carp - HELP!

mommyofnineka

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 2:08 am
For Rosh Hashana we needed fish heads so the butcher sold us whole carp that had been sliced the short direction. We used the heads, but now I have no idea what to do with the fish. I hear it is very boney. Can anyone give me any recipes/ideas? Thanks.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 4:55 pm
I presume "sliced in short direction" is a steak cut rather than fillets.

Yes, carp can be bony but it's not that hard for diners to remove them once cooked.
I think there was a recipe for knobels carp--you marinate carp pieces in minced garlic and paprika, then bake them.

Or you can do sweet-and-sour tomato sauce. A bit patchke, but sautee 2 finely chopped onion till it's browned slightly, add 2tbsp brown sugar and 1 cup tomato sauce and cook for 20min till it thickens. Add a handful of currents if you want. In a lightly oiled pyrex dish, lay fish steak (washed and pat dried) in one layer, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and juice from 1 lemon. Pour tomato sauce over and bake in medium heat oven till the fish is done. This can be served either hot or warm/room temp.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 5:07 pm
Not everyone likes carp. We do, but it's not a taste for all.

OP, if you aren't sure if everyone likes it, rather than waste it, you can use a few pieces at a time in your boiled gef fish. It'll give your gf a good taste and not waste the carp.

mommyofnineka

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 5:10 pm
Thanks so much!

What was the knobels carp recipe you mentioned?

Everyone in m family likes fish so I think I will take my chances and make it for dinner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics