Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Turkey Questions for Turkey Day

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 12:28 pm
We usually aren't in charge of Thanksgiving dinner (maybe 1 or 2 times in the past we've done it), so please help.

How long should we give a 13-14 lb turkey in the fridge to thaw?
How many people will it serve?
How should I season it?
How long/ what temp should I cook it?
How do I stop it from drying out?

TIA

suzyq

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:34 pm
Yes, please advise, anyone. This is my first year making Thanksgiving dinner for my family!

red sea

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 1:50 pm
We eat "thanksgivings" food all fall so I will help with what I can.

I don't make entire turkeys but I know that the whole turkey breast will serve a minimum of 8 adults but sizes vary a lot.

Cook the turkey at 350 a half hour per lb. every .1 after the whole pounds- add 3 minutes. Do not overcook at all. Time it to be ready at the right time. If its ready early I wrap it immediately in parchment & heavy duty foil until we need it.

I use 3T lemon juice to 2T olive oil with a bit of kosher salt. I pull the skin off the bird so I can get my hand between the two and coat with this mixture then the other half rub into the bird on the outside of the skin.

You can use sprigs of rosemary, thyme whatever you want if you like that flavor.

Just make sure it is fully defrosted to start, but I don't know how to figure that one out.

Thats the turkey, if you want help for sides too I can tell you what I do a lot of.

shanie5

Post Sat, Nov 20 2010, 7:37 pm
unstuffed turkey-20 minutes per pound
stuffed-30 minutes per pound

Easiest-in the supermarkets they sell turkey timers that you insert into the thick part of the breast. when the red part in the center pops out, turkey is ready.

When the turkey is done, take it out of the oven and cover it with foil. It will last quite a while and still be hot and delicious when served.

check out this conversion chart for thawing times etc:

http://www.butterball.com/tips.....sions
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey