Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Putting my 7 month old to sleep:

cookiemilk

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 10:54 pm
I think she is becoming aware of the fact that I leave the room after putting her in her crib. A couple of days ago she started crying bitterly when I left and calming down when I approached her in her crib again. I think this means that it is probably time to teach her to fall asleep on her own by letting her cry it out for a bit longer every night. My conflict with this is that she still wakes frequently during the night, sometimes for no real reason and sometimes to be fed, this usually I would wait to do in the early morning hours. Letting her cry it out at 8 therefore does not in this case mean that she wont be up in two three hours howling again and that I would have to do the same thing all over again. How does this work? How do I keep her sleeping without waking so often and why does she not stay asleep on her own. Is she too young for a bedtime schedule? WWYD?

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 10:59 pm
I dont think she is too young, not that dd was sleeping thru the night at that age. When she was 7 months, she would wake up every 2 hours to nurse.

Before I gave birth, I thought by 6 weeks, when I go back to work, they are sleeping thru the night. haha thats a joke.

She isnt too young to be put onto a schedule, but its possible that she is still hungry at nights. Does she have any real foods or are you exclusively nursing?

bnm

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 12:45 am
I started sleep training my daughter at 13 months. I found that if I put her to sleep at a set hour, even if she would wake up in middle of the night for a feeding, she got to be more on a schedule, her day got scheduled too.

kaffe

Post Mon, Nov 29 2010, 4:27 am
shes definitely not too young for a bedtime schedule! you just need to make sure with your dr that whatever schedule you give her is age appropriate.
you also need to make sure shes getting enough calories during the day.
if she does still need a feed at night, can you feed her right before you go to bed? (a bottle can be given to babies while theyre sleeping)

cookiemilk

Post Tue, Nov 30 2010, 5:18 pm
kaffe: I do feed her at 11:00 right before I go to bed. The tricky thing is what to do when she wakes up at 4 or sometimes 3 and I think shes old enough to go at least 6-7 hours without a night feed. Am I wrong? She has one portion of solids a day and formula every 4 hours at the most for other feedings.
I do know that when I let her cry and wait for her to fall asleep that does not garantee that she remains asleep for long. I need to repeat the whole proccess a few hours later, cuz she wakes up probably because she is hungry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics