Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Purim Recipes: Hamantashen, Kreplach, Taygelach ..

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 2:48 pm
anyone have any Purim recipes to share?
Hamantashen, Kreplach, Taygelach,...

any new ideas for hamantashen fillings?

Sunshine

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 3:34 pm
Are you supposed to make taygelach on purim? Why? I make them all year round with fried onions.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 3:35 pm
fried onions? Very Happy
I think one of us here is confused. might be me, anyone know?

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 3:43 pm
Quote:
taygelach

Uh whats that? Unless I call it something- else Confused

Sunshine

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 5:08 pm
Ya I make taygelach with fried onions. Taygelach are really easy to make- this is how I do it. Boil potatoes and mash them. Let them cool(very important). Then add egg, flour, oil, salt and pepper and mix it into a dough. Don't add too much flour of it will be chewy. Then you roll the mixture into a long rope and cut it into pieces and flatten them and then boil it in water. It is sort of like a potatoe dumpling. Some ppl fry this after in breadcrumbs, but I fry onions and serve it together. It goes well with soup salad and a protein. I love making it in the winter with soup. Sometimes I even put it in the soup. RG is this what you call taygelach? If not how do you make yours? Do you call taygelach this sweet dessert thing? In the Spice and Spirit they call it (the above recipe)Shlishkes but my mil calls them taygelach.

gryp

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 5:47 pm
Sunshine, that is so interesting. I wonder if they are both called taygelach because they are both rope-like strands of dough fried. the taygelach we have is a Purim treat. it is fried cookie-like dough, also in long strands, and coated in honey. they are delicious. I wonder if anyone else knows about this.

Rivk

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 6:20 pm
We have taygalach on Rosh Hashana - not purim!

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 9:46 pm
RG, I also grew up knowing that taygalach are cookies in honey , very chewy and gooey....try cochalet chips in your hamantaschen or make them milchig with cheese filling.

sarahd

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 5:08 am
Sunshine - what you make sounds like shlishkes. AFAIK, taygelech are fried in honey.

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 10:39 am
sometimes I put choc chips in hamantashen, recently though I buy a can of cherry pie filling and put one cherry with some filling in each hamantash. then if I feel like it I dip one corner in melted chocolate and pour some diff colored sprinkles on the chocolate. they come out pretty nice.
but im always looking for new ideas....

Tefila

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 3:52 pm
I like to on purim to dip my baked hamantashen halfway in melted choc.

Also I only use cookie dough, fruit or jam filling as opposed to someone I know who uses yeast dough and poppyseed filling in which my fam greatly dislikes Exclamation

shoy18

Post Mon, Feb 28 2005, 4:52 pm
Rivk wrote:
We have taygalach on Rosh Hashana - not purim!

we also do, its dough balls, and nuts in honey
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus