Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Shosh's Totally Silly Forum
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

mimivan

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:57 pm
jam butties...should we be allowed to us that phrase on this forum??? Twisted Evil

robynm

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:14 am
does sarcastic humor qualify? and so sorry if I dont spell it 'humour'

bc ppl always laugh and im being totally serious 8)

robynm

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:15 am
ooh ooh and I just thought of something

could we make a rule? is that allowed?

no posting as amother. SNAP LOL

grace413

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:19 am
shanie5 wrote:
Does jumping on the shopping cart and riding it to my car count as silly? If I like the bbc program "are you being served", does that count as 'getting' british humor?

If I embarrass my kids just by being me-do I qualify?

I also liked Are You Being Served and I also caught Hila's reference to Fawlty Towers.

Shanie, sorry to disappoint you but every mother in the world embarrasses their kids just by breathing.

grace413

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:20 am
mimivan wrote:
jam butties...should we be allowed to us that phrase on this forum??? Twisted Evil

Maybe I should put this in the curious forum but what is/are jam butties?

shosh

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:27 am
Jam butties are really disgusting jam sandwiches eaten in northern England ...

shosh

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:28 am
I am also an embarrassing mum. In fact, perhaps we should make a new forum for Embarrassing Mums and Proud of It!

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:29 am
talk about fawlty towers all you want, but whatever you do..don't mention the war!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

kitov

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:34 am
This new forum of yours, shosh, is against the rules of imamother. I don't think a forum using a posters name as a title is allowed, it can make other posters jealous. Or it will make a whole competition of who can get a forum with their name.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:40 am
I understand British humour! (I even know how to spell it properly...)

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:45 am
I not only understand British jokes I WAS a British Joke (not British, but in Britain...I lived there for four years and was the constant cause of amusement --unintentional--among my friends and neighbors. Once I went to meeting with a very big British intellectual type and I was a bit late...as I was coming in the room with my tutorial partner, I said to him. "OMG, I ripped my pants on that bicycle."

The Macher Intellectual looked down on a paper on his desk, overhearing what I said quietly to my partner (I didn't think he was paying attention), and tried to keep from laughing before clearing his throat and beginning to speak.

My tutorial partner told me later "Don't you know that in England "pants" mean "underwear!!!" What you Americans call pants, we call "Trousers!" embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

shosh

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:56 am
To be a full, card-carrying paid up member of this forum, you have to enjoy anarchic British humour such as Spike Milligan. The man was totally nuts and a complete genius.

I still remember his craziest sketch - pretending to be a very serious reporter called David Dimbelby on an extremely serious documentary called Panorama, speaking from inside a cupboard that got pelted with cheese.

Yes I know that doesn't sound very funny - the effect was more visual, shall we say? But I watched this with my Dad as a teenager. Of course, he and I were collapsing with laughter and I even fell off the sofa as a result. But my mum and sister, who don't have the same anarchic sense of humour couldn't understand for a minute why we found it so hilarious.

Oh well, I guess we nutcases are just a rare elite ...

dGirl

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:56 am
mimivan wrote:
I not only understand British jokes I WAS a British Joke (not British, but in Britain...I lived there for four years and was the constant cause of amusement --unintentional--among my friends and neighbors. Once I went to meeting with a very big British intellectual type and I was a bit late...as I was coming in the room with my tutorial partner, I said to him. "OMG, I ripped my pants on that bicycle."

The Macher Intellectual looked down on a paper on his desk, overhearing what I said quietly to my partner (I didn't think he was paying attention), and tried to keep from laughing before clearing his throat and beginning to speak.

My tutorial partner told me later "Don't you know that in England "pants" mean "underwear!!!" What you Americans call pants, we call "Trousers!" embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Oh well colour me silly. I remember once in sem looking for my PJs and I said to a friend, "I've lost my pants!" before realizing what it meant to her Rolling Laughter Minivan, I was even thinking of it before you posted yours.

Hmm, I wonder if everyone on here even understands what it meant that old mother Hubbard lived in a cupboard Smile

Shosh, may I join then? I can't imagine my family without a good dry British humour - it must be adding years on to my life span.

dGirl

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 12:59 am
Oh, and who could forget the good old Mr Bean movies they made us sit through in elementary school after receiving our vaccines. I can't imagine anyone else with a turkey on their heads!

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:01 am
The truth is I much prefer stand-up to sketch, but I'll make an exception for Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, and Mitchell and Webb.

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:06 am
sequoia wrote:
The truth is I much prefer stand-up to sketch, but I'll make an exception for Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, A Bit of Fry and Laurie, and Mitchell and Webb.

I think the Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke are terribly underrated as a comic duo (and they did receive a lot of acclaim, in England, but not outside...)

I"ll post something iy'h in a few minutes when I find something.

sequoia

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:08 am
mimivan wrote:
sequoia wrote:

I think the Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke are terribly underrated as a comic duo (and they did receive a lot of acclaim, in England, but not outside...)

I"ll post something iy'h in a few minutes when I find something.

I knew it! I knew you would mention Peter Cook and Dudley Moore! How did I know??

I've seen a few of their sketches and was kind of weirded out, actually Smile

mimivan

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:25 am
Bloody Greta Garbo is a classic sketch of theirs..

here's a snippet of one
(I'm guessing that Vernon Ward is some tacky artist that paints a lot of ducks and cheesy nature scenes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....lated

shosh

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:29 am
Enough of the clips, already! We're supposed to provide our own humour!

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Dec 16 2010, 1:32 am
I think the clips are a good test to see if potential forum members are qualified to join.

anyway, this one's my favourite

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics