Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Forum for Heretics
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 7:56 pm
detroitmom wrote:
, I think Silent Night is more moving than most Jewish music

Sadly, you might be onto something.

mirror

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 8:24 pm
I wear a leather jacket, complete with leather handbag, leather gloves, leather boots --- am I too much of an apikores to be on this site?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 19 2010, 10:27 pm
We apparently have a heretics forum - there is now....a PET FORUM!
I have met the enemy and he is us, said Pogo.

(Please, please don't tell me to use the non-existent tongue in cheek emoticon lest someone take me seriously.)

HindaRochel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:10 am
PinkFridge wrote:
detroitmom wrote:
, I think Silent Night is more moving than most Jewish music

Sadly, you might be onto something.

Yeah...I'm not sure why music is so, well, lacking in the Jewish world. Most of it is more along the lines of singing as loud as possible. Truly beautiful music has harmony, not just words...

shosh

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:33 am
I don't know why, but Silent Night makes me think of Nazis singing Stille Nacht. I guess I must be a Christophobe or something. Too many years of going to a very strait laced non-Jewish school and being subjected to the horrors of school assemblies and hymns, I guess!!!

grace413

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:54 am
I may be a heretic on some subjects, but B"H I am in Israel and away from all that Xmas stuff.

I went to public school as a child (only Jewish kid in the class) and the month of December was a nightmare for me. Such a thrill for me that my kids are oblivious to all that.

auntie_em

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 12:59 am
Were there a bunch of posts removed from this thread? Or am I thinking of another one where ppl started arguing Sources and things like that?

Anyhow, may I join please? I have good reasons, I assure you!

1.) I really like X-mas music and find it very moving. If I sing along, I replace the J word with acceptable Jewish substitutions. My DH thinks its funny. I also think the lights and trees are pretty, at night.

1a.) For those would find this kind of thing funny, I present the Halachos of Xmas.
http://www.bangitout.com/artic.....=1112

2.) My DH is in the military, on active duty, and not in Israel.

3.) Whenever I go to a 'heimish' store, I promise you, even if it's Friday afternoon and I am buying challah, candles, and a bottle of grape juice, the cashier will smile at me and say 'Have a good day.' Everyone else gets a "Have a good shabbos'. Nope, not me. Not ever, not even once.

Why? My theory (which I know is true because I asked someone who works in another store that did the same thing for ages) is that because I do not look Jewish and my name is not one typically found in the average Jewish community, they assume I am not Jewish!

I explained to this other shop keeper that for some of us, the Alte Heim is a little Emerald Isle! Even my school, when I was a youngster, wanted ketubahs from my parents, my maternal grandparents, my birth certificate and references!

(Ahhh...I have been holding that vent in for years! Thank you for the chance to vent it..lol)

3.) Other reasons I cannot post here..lol.

Pleaseeee?? I will bring the OU cookies!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 20 2010, 5:56 am
In December my classmates were so jealous of my "long Jewish Xmas" LOL
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics