Home

Spiced Coconut Pancakes -- Egg and Milk Free

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Report offensive ad

allrgymama

Post Posted: Sun, Dec 26 2010, 4:39 pm       Post subject: Spiced Coconut Pancakes -- Egg and Milk Free
I found this recipe in January's issue of Bon Appetite and tried them today. They have a completely different texture than regular pancakes but make a great substitute for regular pancakes. I couldn't find unsweetened shredded coconut (which is what the recipe calls for) and would imagine that it would have more of a latke texture if done the 'right' way instead of with finely ground coconut (which is what I used.

Spiced Coconut Pancakes

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt

1- 13 1/2 oz can light unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 2/3 cups)
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 TBSP pure maple syrup (NOT pancake syrup; the real stuff)
1 TBSP vanilla extract

Vegetable oil for frying
Additional maple syrup for garnish

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 250

Whisk first 7 ingredients together in a large bowl.

Whisk liquid ingredients together in a medium bowl.

Whisk coconut mixture together with flour mixture until batter is pourable.

Heat griddle or skillet over medium-high heat; brush with vegetable oil. Working in batches, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls. Working quickly, use the back of a spoon to spread each pancake to about a 4-inch round. Cook until small bubbles appear on the surface and bottoms of pancakes are golden, reducing heat if browning to quickly (2-3 minutes). Turn over; cook until golden (another 1-2 minutes). Transfer to baking sheet and place in oven to keep warm while repeating with remaining batter.

My Notes: I've only done this once and I used fine ground coconut instead of shredded, since that was all I could find. I found that Pam worked much better than the vegetable oil and it took a few tries to get the heat right; once I did, they colored and puffed up just like regular pancakes. Since my baby is just under 2, I made them like mini-pancakes instead of full-size. I did the entire batter and froze the rest with sheets of parchment paper in between so that I can just nuke them in the microwave for a quick breakfast,

Enjoy!

octopus

Post Posted: Sun, Dec 26 2010, 5:17 pm       Post subject: re: Spiced Coconut Pancakes -- Egg and Milk Free
the person that I know that is allergic to eggs and milk- is allergic to coconut, too!

sarahmalka

Post Posted: Sun, Dec 26 2010, 6:31 pm       Post subject: re: Spiced Coconut Pancakes -- Egg and Milk Free
Thanks for sharing! Unsweetened coconut can be found at health food stores, like Whole Foods or a local coop. You've probably figured this out already, but in case not- you can always google "vegan pancakes" or "vegan muffins" or whatever to find tons of milk and egg-free recipes. The PPK website is a good resource for allergies like you're dealing with since it's totally vegan: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/
I used their site a lot until DD became gluten intolerant, now I use other blogs that are gluten-free too. These are hands down some of the BEST cookies I've ever had, vegan or not:
http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/chewy-chocolate-chocolate-chip-cookies/
I used to add coconut to them too.

allrgymama

Post Posted: Mon, Jan 10 2011, 3:57 pm       Post subject: re: Spiced Coconut Pancakes -- Egg and Milk Free
Thanks for the link!
View previous topic :: View next topic

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Page 1 of 1