Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My 2-year-old won't stop talking!

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:24 pm
BH my just-turned-2-year-old is very verbal. I feel terrible for posting this, because I know there are those out there who wish their kids would be so verbal. But I'm going crazy. I never get a moment's rest! He always has to be near me, and he is constantly talking! Even if he's playing independently, he's narrating what he's doing - "I take off train, I put back! I open it!"

I try putting the baby to sleep in the other room and he follows me in, talking the whole time. "Put [baby's name] down in cribby? Yeh? [Baby's name] go fluffy? Need banket! Need paci!'

He does not understand the meaning of be quiet, stop talking, or anything like that. He knows how to whisper but does not recognize that there are certain times that he has to, and even when I tell him to whisper, or whisper to him, he replies in a high, loud voice. He repeats everything I say, in question form. If I tell him I'm going to put on a shaitel, he says, "Mommy put on shaitel? Yeh?"

Yesterday I had a really long day and at 6:30 we were finally heading home and of course he couldn't stop talking in the car. I tried all the ways I could think of. I asked him to look at his book quietly, and after he had been quiet for a few seconds, I made sure to praise his quiet reading! Within 20 seconds he was talking again. When I said "Just stop talking!" He says, "I talking! See car? Car! Car! Car! I see white truck! I wanna see another truck! See car! Car! I talking!" - like he was talking on purpose!!

How do I get him to understand being quiet, or at least whispering? I can't hear myself think!

Pinky

Post Mon, Jan 24 2011, 8:34 pm
I have the same thing with my ds! it can really get on your nerves!

Yelli123

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 4:09 am
Take advantage of his verbal abilities and use it to your benefit. When you want to put your baby to sleep just set up your two year old in a playpen with books and toys and tell him that mommy will be back in a little while she is just putting the baby to sleep. If he is talking alot it means he is beginning to understand more and you just have to explain things to him in a way he can understand. Good luck!

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 4:16 am
I wish I had suggestions but I could have written the same post about my DS's 8 and 4. They just don't stop. Of course now I have to answer questions about whether grandma's cruise ship is going to get caught by pirates, why did Hashem send a flood to Australia etc. BUt they don't stop and there are 2 of them. When you can laugh about it do and lock your door when you are putting the baby to sleep. My poor DD who is in the middle of them puts her hands over her ears and says I can't think. Stop talking for one minute!!!" LOL

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 8:09 am
Lol jackiejoel - your DD sounds so cute!

Thanks for your reply, and yelli, too. Unfortunately, I can't explain to him that I need to put the baby to sleep because he wants to come along and see for himself! We live in a small apartment and I don't have a playpen to keep him contained. If I close the door, he stands right outside, knocks, and cries for me. He's too young (only just turned 2) to understand that my closing the door is not a rejection of him.

Although maybe I could leave him in the highchair with a snack... hmmm. Food for thought (no pun intended).

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:30 am
My son is 2 1/2, and he was like that six months ago too. B"H it's calming down now a bit.

Can you walk away from him at all? It sounds like he's following you all around the house. If this is the case, I'd focus on that first. Set him up with some toys, and tell him you're going in the kitchen for a second and he should wait right there. Go in the kitchen for about five seconds, and when/if he doesn't follow you, give him LOTS of positive reinforcement. Do this several times a day, making a big deal about how he can stay and play nicely by himself, he's getting so big, etc. After about a week, you may be able to get your baby to sleep during these time periods.

I had this problem too, and I didn't solve it well. There were a few days in a row where I was so sleep-deprived with a new baby, and the baby just wouldn't nap but was so obviously tired, and ds kept on coming in or making lots of noise by the door just as the baby was finally falling asleep...I didn't scream, but I spoke in a way that was obviously angry. I think I scared him...but I was just at my wit's end! Eventually, he learned to stay out of the room.

I wouldn't recommend doing that. I wasn't proud of myself at the time. Now, looking back (hindsight is 20/20), this is probably what I should have done.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:34 am
That's very cute! BH he can see and hear normally, and is verbal.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:36 am
Two of my kids are big talkers, and one is more introverted. All I can say is, it's so healthy. Yes it can drive me to distraction when I'm trying to get supper ready and my DD is going on and on till my ears will burst...but really it's a gift when a child feels secure and happy to express themselves.

With my other DD, it's so much harder to give her the attention she needs when she's not volunteering herself. I'm the one who has to work on the relationship and try to be a part of her life. She would otherwise spend it curled up on the couch with a book, oblivious to all and sundry.

superjew

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:50 am
Sounds like he's so proud of talking! He might be seeking your approval & compliments. Is there a time of day that you CAN sit with him & respond to his talking?
This also has a lot to do with discipline. He hasn't learned enough about inside/outside voices. Thats where you come in. You'll have to make it a job & teach him WHENs & HOWs of the inside/outside/whisper voice.
Explain to him there are quiet times. He needs to learn to listen to you & respect you.
This goes both ways, actions speak louder then words. So, be sure to listen to him, be sure to respect him.
Be sure YOU have quiet time & you should whisper when you put your baby & him to bed as well. He could start associating whispering to nap/night time.
Remember, a child learns from what he hears & sees.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 25 2011, 10:57 am
When it gets unbearable, my DD's morot play "the king of silence":
1 2 3 the king of silence begins!
and the winner is the one not talking the longest! it works (sometimes) LOL

Old school method would be to discipline so the kid speaks low or doesn't bang on your door but you have to want it enough to be consistent (and to agree with the method).

mama mia 123

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:10 pm
LOL
this is really funny cuz I thought im the only one that gets so annoyed with such a young child talking nonstop especially all the millions of questions(most annoying question is why?)...my dd wud definately out first in the king game!! Rolling Eyes

paprika

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:26 pm
I hope nobody with a deaf child is reading this thread.

pearswood12

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:54 am
I had one like that and thirty five years later she's the one who communicates with me more than my other children. Be glad he is a communicator rather than the other way around. I also learned the skill of going deaf if it gets too much. Still do it LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 1:10 am
What's the adage? We spend the first 2 years of our kids' lives teaching them to talk and walk and the next 18 years hoping they'd shut up and sit down....

IMO you need to develop a way to mostly tune him out if it bothers you so much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics