Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Unusual names part 2

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 7:46 pm
Growing up I had a friend named Faith, another named Grace...(no idea what their Jewish names are) and when I came to C.H., a friend named Emunah.

Not names you hear a lot, eh?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 7:51 pm
I don't know... Faith and Grace seem to be common in America, and Emuna isn't rare in France... Faith could very well have been a Emuna too, or something beginning in F... Grace was probably Gracia or Hannah.

micki

Post Thu, Sep 07 2006, 8:23 pm
funny one of my very close friends is named faith. and her hebrew name is...emunah mara!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Sep 08 2006, 1:39 am
I have a workmate Faith, but she's not jewish at all.

Jo

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 6:09 am
I have heard many unusual names in the course of my work - not Jewish though

Blessing
Miracle
Comfort

I worked with someone called Faith

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 8:30 am
Jo wrote:

Blessing
Miracle
Comfort

I think they're typical Puritan names. Although all have a Jewish equivalent LOL (Bracha, Nissel/Nissim, Menachem...).

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 8:35 am
how about a boy named brooklyn and a girl named charisma

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 9:13 am
Where I live saraG (you know where) there are lots of kids called Grace.

I am just writing the mazel Tovs for our community Magazine and someone had a grandchild called Tefila! (One can only conclude that the mother is an imamother regular)

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 9:18 am
Rifky wrote:

I am just writing the mazel Tovs for our community Magazine and someone had a grandchild called Tefila! (One can only conclude that the mother is an Imamother regular)

I know a Tehila.

Jo

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 9:28 am
Ruchel wrote:
Jo wrote:

Blessing
Miracle
Comfort

I think they're typical Puritan names. Although all have a Jewish equivalent LOL (Bracha, Nissel/Nissim, Menachem...).

I know that they have Jewish equivalents - but I found it strange seeing the English translations used as names. I just wasn't used to it.
Somehow, to me, 'Blessing' or 'Comfort' takes getting used to, though I wouldn't think twice about the names Baruch/Bracha or Nechama/Menachem.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 12 2006, 9:48 am
Jo wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Jo wrote:

Blessing
Miracle
Comfort

I know that they have Jewish equivalents - but I found it strange seeing the English translations used as names. I just wasn't used to it.
Somehow, to me, 'Blessing' or 'Comfort' takes getting used to, though I wouldn't think twice about the names Baruch/Bracha or Nechama/Menachem.

I agree, it seems "weirder", I don't know why.

YaelB

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 9:08 pm
I have a cousin named 'blessing,' not "bracha," just straight up 'blessing.' It hasn't worked out well for her.
I have met several "Emunahs" it seems to be popular with the BT set.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 9:57 pm
My daughter's middle name is Grace :-)

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 09 2011, 10:03 pm
YaelB wrote:
I have a cousin named 'blessing,' not "bracha," just straight up 'blessing.' It hasn't worked out well for her.
I have met several "Emunahs" it seems to be popular with the BT set.

My nurse in the hospital was called Blessing. Not Jewish.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 4:13 pm
I had a friend called Hannah, her sister is called Grace...neither of these are weird, except hannah means grace Rolling Eyes

Faigy86

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 4:38 pm
immigrants who were so excited to see that the hospital had named their dear daughter...
Femal'e

MrsDash

Post Tue, Nov 01 2011, 5:03 pm
Yocheved! Either people think I'm a dude, or the pronunciation is completely off that I don't even recognize it! I worked at a Curves a few years back, and I had to use my middle name for the name tag, because no one had a clue how to even begin saying my name.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Nov 02 2011, 1:46 am
It's all in what you are used to. My dd came home her first day of 1st grade telling me there was a girl with a "funny name" in her class (we live in a pretty modern area, lots of unique names). I asked her what it was, and she started laughing and saying "Ima, she's called a BEE!!" To my Hebrew speaking dd who hadn't heard the name before, it was hysterical there was a girl in her class called "bee." And yes, I explained we don't make fun of names and we pulled out the Tanach and learned a bit about Devorah, but still, proves a point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics