Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Professional pictures - how often?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:01 pm
I used to take my ds every 6 months (I get very good deals) for professional pics. He's 4.5 and its time for pics again. Is it 2 much to go every six months at this age? He really doesn't look that different and I do take a lot of photos of him.

I guess I'm asking when should I stop going every 6 months?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:05 pm
I don't know anyone nowadays who doesn't take their own pictures. Professional pictures, SOME have at birth if there is a hospital photographer, some have at bris, some at the upsherin. Many do it themselves.

lollygirl

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:09 pm
It's really a personal decision. IMHO, if you regularly take pictures, at that age, professional pictures only need to be done once every 1-2 years. In the baby years, 6 months is appropriate because they change so rapidly but at this point like you said, he isn't changing much every half a year.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 12:24 pm
You don't need more than once a year. At this stage, you can see their growth in yearly pictures.
When they are younger, they change and grow so much quicker.

chillax

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 1:39 pm
Every 6 months at that age seems like way too often. Once a year should be fine.

zaq

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 2:35 pm
add my vote for once a year, tops.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 3:17 pm
Even if he is the only grandchild on each side?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 3:20 pm
Even if he's the only grandchild. I took professionals more often in the first three years (because they change much more), and after that once a year is plenty.

Edited to add: You can always supplement with candids inbetween. My parents don't get to see my brothers' children too often, because they live in E"Y (all four of them). My SIL's are really great about taking pictures and sending to my parents. They'll just snap a bunch and develop them, stick them into a cheap hold-it-together album, and send it with someone.....my parents will get you the minute you are in the door to show you the latest, and I must say my kids feel like they know their cousins because they recognize them from all the pictures at every stage.

Sometimes they've done some cute things, like take a few pictures and arrange them in a "collage" in a simple picture frame. These have pride of place on my parent's piano. Many are even cuter than the professional shots, as they catch them in funny real-life poses.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 4:22 pm
I take once a year. Once they take in school, I don't go to the professional anymore. I do, however go with all the kids together once a year for professional. The going to a professional is past tense because I do it myself now and you can tell Smile .

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 4:46 pm
Mine are also the only grandchildren. We never did that.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 5:16 pm
amother wrote:
Even if he is the only grandchild on each side?

Yes. We have more pics of DD than many, and don't feel a need to pay for what we can do. She's an only child, grandchild, great grandchild for now.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 6:11 pm
Chayalle wrote:
They'll just snap a bunch and develop them, stick them into a cheap hold-it-together album, and send it with someone.....my parents will get you the minute you are in the door to show you the latest, and I must say my kids feel like they know their cousins because they recognize them from all the pictures at every stage.

My kids remember their cousins from our family blog. Too bad, they don't all post.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:05 pm
every 6 months still sounds reasonable but you can cut down to 9 months or a year for big kids.

I was doing it every 4 months but am cutting down with my 2 year old to 6 months. we did have a simcha in the middle where she was photographed too.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:41 pm
bnm wrote:
every 6 months still sounds reasonable but you can cut down to 9 months or a year for big kids.

I was doing it every 4 months but am cutting down with my 2 year old to 6 months. we did have a simcha in the middle where she was photographed too.

I'm nuts with doing it yearly. My sister got married very recently and only me and the baby were able to attend. Everyone told me that I should have the photographer take a picture of him. He did look adorable Very Happy ! I didn't want to because I didn't need it because he's only 9 months and I only start when they're a year. Me and my crazy meshugasim Rolling Eyes . BTW, I did end up doing it anyway. Who knows how it will come out anyway because there was so much going around, he wasn't really paying attention to the photographer.

bnm

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:47 pm
yo'ma wrote:
bnm wrote:

I'm nuts with doing it yearly. My sister got married very recently and only me and the baby were able to attend. Everyone told me that I should have the photographer take a picture of him. He did look adorable Very Happy ! I didn't want to because I didn't need it because he's only 9 months and I only start when they're a year. Me and my crazy meshugasim Rolling Eyes . BTW, I did end up doing it anyway. Who knows how it will come out anyway because there was so much going around, he wasn't really paying attention to the photographer.

as I said, when she was a baby I did every 4 months plus we had a tnoyim and chasuna in the first year, pictures by both

Ronit

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:49 pm
I usually go one day on Chol hamoed, so that makes it twice yearly. We take a family picture & then something of the kids.

I never paid alot for those & buy just the few I'll be hanging up on the wall. I usually give grandparents the pictures once yearly. Depending on how they came out or the what the prices are based on the coupons.

I take pictures all the time, but it's hard to get a shot from all of us. We do it cheap, so it isn't much of an expense.

Ronit

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:52 pm
btw olan mills has a coupon that is expiring tomorrow for a free 16x20 dreamprint. I would love to go, but I don't know if I can get my act together.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 7:59 pm
I go very very often. About every 8 weeks. I get very good deals and I love going. I do a family pic once a year. Its hard for DH to fit it into his schedule...

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 8:00 pm
BUT, my kid is 20 months old. I imagine when she gets older I wont go so often

sky

Post Wed, Mar 30 2011, 10:02 pm
[I'm feeling like such a bad mother. I haven't paid for pictures of my kids yet. Are they going to complain when they are older?]
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers