Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you think of the 2 new Binah serials?
  1  2  3  17  18  19  Next

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 12:12 am
Etka Gitel's new one is about a girl traveling all the way from Russia to marry an unseen boy in the middle of the United states. I take it this is set at the end of the 1800s or early 1900s? So far it's very slow moving, very elaborate Etka Gitel style, it'll probably be like Shortchanged - not suspenseful but a very nice historical fiction about Midwest farmland America 100+ years ago.

Sara Weiderblank's new one involves the White Falls folks again. We havent seen Bracha Kirsch yet but her name has been mentioned. Also starting off slow, with lots of new characters to get used to. I'm sure it'll end up being interesting.

any thoughts yet?

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 12:53 pm
I did Etka G's new one like I do chocolate. Nibble, suck, savor.

It made me regret not renewing my Binah subscription. There's no way I'll skip on this story.

realeez

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:28 pm
I love the historical element of EG's and loved the line about New York being very close to "Nordakota." Was funny that Mishpacha had an article on the same time period in Family First. I didn't get week 2 of any of the stories yet so I can't say much more but both are amazing authors and I really look forward to reading both!

sky

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:45 pm
Smile1 wrote:
I did Etka G's new one like I do chocolate. Nibble, suck, savor.

It made me regret not renewing my Binah subscription. There's no way I'll skip on this story.

I know what you mean. this is last my week but I'm not renewing at full price - its too much money. I just hate that the 2 serials started right when my subscription is ending.

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:47 pm
That's just a wily marketing technique.

For me, I have a choice of sisters from whom to collect second-hand Binahs.

realeez

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:49 pm
I think often new serials will start Pesach time because that issue probably has the most readers!

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:54 pm
Let's just say it's the same science as the milk being situated in the rear of the supermarket. Walk through the entire store, "notice" all the important things you can't do without, and return with a wagonful, when all you came for was milk.

They want you to buy their paper once and get hooked.

tsiggelle

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:57 pm
Smile1 wrote:
Let's just say it's the same science as the milk being situated in the rear of the supermarket. Walk through the entire store, "notice" all the important things you can't do without, and return with a wagonful, when all you came for was milk.

They want you to buy their paper once and get hooked.

and then mrs cohen tells the cashier, " I really came for the oil, but didnt find it"

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 1:59 pm
Well said!

JustPlainMe

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 2:17 pm
Ï
EG is wayyyyyyyy to dramatic for me.
I probably will end up reading the story but I wish she leaves out some 'extras'...

For the start off, I liked Sara's.

Smile1

Post Tue, May 03 2011, 2:24 pm
Oh, but I LOVE the drama! And I go nuts over her rich language.

Different strokes for different folks.

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 5:44 pm
EG's story is driving me nuts so far... I keep turning it over in my mind, trying to figure out how 'Ma' could have died because her son didn't protect her? Her male characters always seems so much more intense (and guilt-ridden) than the girls.

It's actually funny; if I hadn't just bought 'Gifts to Treasure' for my daughter, I would have no idea why the house was dripping - the only other story I know from that time and place is 'Little House on the Prairie' and I don't remember it mentioning dripping sod-houses. This story doesn't seem to have the humour that Shortchanged had, but at least the title is more promising.

S.W's story is enjoyable. I love seeing the continuation of old characters. Trying to figure out what Bracha is crying about; that's pretty out of character for her, but knowing S.W. we probably won't find out for another 2 weeks at least.

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 8:00 pm
I'm getting into both of them slowly but reading and enjoying b"H

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:44 am
Something I don't understand about Doorways: If Bracha is having fertility problems, shouldn't she be talking to a doctor, not a mentor? Anyone know?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 12 2011, 11:50 am
maybe it's something spiritual that she is worried about, such as chavivah having a grudge on her or something?... she didnt mention the 'problem' yet.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 4:37 pm
Both serials were AMAZING today - as was the whole rest of the issue, with all the musical articles. loved it.

windowsill

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 6:05 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Both serials were AMAZING today - as was the whole rest of the issue, with all the musical articles. loved it.
Someone reads fast!!

jemappelle

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 7:02 pm
Etka Gittle Schwartz's new novel will basically take place in a jewish "little house on the prarie" setting- She and her family were dressed up as the characters in Purim !

ILOVELIFE

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 7:05 pm
I am absolutely LOVING both now. And Etka Gitel's I think I read a chapter ahead so this week I opened my Binah and I"m like "O Brother-- I know this already-- waht's next?!" And Sara's is just what the Dr ordered after a longggg day

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 16 2011, 8:18 pm
poor Gella... I just want to hug her and give her a one way ticket to Chicago lol.

I didnt read the whole thing; I had a drs appt and a long train ride home so I had time to skim.
Page 1 of 19   1  2  3  17  18  19  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room