Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Would you go back to work?

Doris

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 8:39 am
I have to make a decision by the end of this week - what would you do...?

I have a nice work from home job on the computer that I do about 2 hours a day from home. Sometimes I have to go in to the office a bit for an hour or two , probably about once evry two weeks. The job is basically research and admin online, nothing too difficult, sometimes an eyeopener, sometimes very boring. It pays peanuts.

I need to decide whether to take it up again (I had a bit of a break now) or not.

On the one hand a little bit of extra money is nice and I would feel guilty not to work esp. since our parents are helping us whilst my husband is in Kollel, (for another year).
On the other hand I don't want my house to be flying because I'm under pressure and busy with other things. I have a baby and do all housework myself. I don't want to get cleaning help or start buying more ready made food. When I have to go in to work my baby would have to go to a metapelet.
But the thought of not having any outside stimulation and only looking after the house and family seems depressing to me. I would have to find another source of outside interest...

What would you do?

zigi

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:03 am
for only 2 hours a day it sounds really good.
how long does it take to clean your house?
how old is your baby? when were you planning on sending them to gan anyway?

you have to plan your day and cook in advance. defrost food ahead of time so it will fast to make.

amother

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:07 am
I tink u shud do it! I hate staying at home sure I love my holidays but love thrive on pressure. I don't have cleAning help, work 17 hrs a week as a teacher, got three little kids, never buy ready made food ever! Besides frozen french fries for kids... But I love it. And my house is never flying..... :-)
So depends on your strength 2 hrs sounds very manageable to me with one kid!

amother

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:49 am
I would keep the job, if I were in your situation. 2 hours a day is very little, and to only have to go into the office once every week or 2 for a few hours is a dream. I have 3 little ones and I work hours a week plus hours in traveleing. I am planning on cutting my hours slightly and I'm even feeling guilty about that! Also, it's good to get a little break from the kids once in awhile and dealing with adults. Not to mention the extra income. Good luck with whatever you decide.

amother

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:50 am
whoops, I'm the amother above - my number lock was off. I work 26 hours a weeks plus 4 traveling.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 9:56 am
Working for two hours a day out of the house, with one baby, and you think your house will be flying? Or you're talking about going back to work full time? If the first - it'll actually be easier than working from home, imho. If the second...

I don't think any of us can answer the kollel question. People who think that people should be finanacially independent will say that you should go back to work, no matter what the consequences. People who think that parents are "supposed" to support their kids in kollel will say that there's no reason to feel guilty. It really depends on how your parents (and you) feel about the situation. Do they seem frustrated that dh is staying for another year? Is the money hard for them to come by?

And if you need outside stimulation, going out to work for a couple of hours is understandable. Do you hate the idea of leaving your baby? Or do you feel like you should hate it but are really fine with it? What would the childcare be like? Have you looked into anything yet?

grin

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 10:02 am
why would you have to have the baby by a metapelet? it sounds to me like you should be able to handle it without that - if not, IMO it's not worth it.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 10:51 am
2 hrs/day is very ideal. I work 4 hrs a day w/ 2 kids. I do about 2.5 hrs when they are out & the rest when they are napping or at night. you shouldn't need to buy prepared foods if you plan a bit ahead/freeze, & I can't see why you should need cleaning help. It may not pay a lot, but you won't have the expenses of working out of the home, plus the convenience! remember, it's your hishtadlus. basically view it as you're putting in your effort where you can & Hashem can send the $ from anywhere.

Doris

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 12:05 pm
You're all correct that 2 hours isn't a lot, and the truth is I want to get back working - I like working with the brain more than the domestic stuff.
I don't think I made it clear - I will only need a metapelet for the occasions that I have to work out during the day, but on the whole I can work from home in the evening.

I'm just a bit nervous.I don't have a big freezer and all my pots are small so I can cook max. 4 portions in one go. My husband is home at lunch time and likes proper food for lunch, not sandwiches, so that means cooking 2 meals a day. I do use the freezer as much as I can and cook in advance as much as possible, but it's not so much...

theima8

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 12:23 pm
Is this your first child? If so, the idea of working and taking care of the baby and the house might be overwhelming. It will be difficult in the beginning and your house probably will be flying a bit until you get used to it, but I think it's worth it. You'll enjoy the extra income (that YOU earned) and you will have things to do and think of other than changing diapers,cooking and the like.
I work at home 6 hours a day (I'm a"metapelet"). I have more then 7 less then 10 kids Smile I don't have cleaning help (but I have the kids helping me) and don't buy ready made food. My husband is also the type that likes hot meals for lunch and dinner, so I make the food for 3-4 days and keep them in the refrigerator, since my freezer is small.

grin

Post Tue, May 10 2011, 5:48 pm
why not invest some of your first paycheck in bigger pots?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers