Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Secular Cookbooks
1  2  Next

songbird

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:44 pm
Which secular cookbooks would you recommend? I'd like to buy some ...

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:47 pm
Better homes and garden !
http://www.amazon.ca/Better-Ho.....01887

songbird

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 4:54 pm
Hi buddy :-)

What do you like about it?

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:03 pm
Hi bud Very Happy

It actually taught me how to cook, it has loads of cool info and it even taught me how to divide a whole chicken into pieces.

The reviews on amazon speak for themselves ,it got 5 stars Very Happy

songbird

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:14 pm
Which binding do you have doll?

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:22 pm
I have the 1981 edition I bought it seccond hand Very Happy

songbird

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 5:30 pm
Just ordered it!!!

lilacdreams

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 6:35 pm
A friend of mine bought me this recently
Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
its actually quite nice and I have made a few things.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mums-K.....img_b

anon for this

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 8:26 pm
My mother bought me Joy of Cooking--it's a terrific reference.

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:16 pm
The Joy of Cooking is considered the number one all-around basic must-have cookbook. If you're going to have only one cookbook, this is the one to have.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 10:21 pm
Stuff by the Cook's Illustrated, American Test Kitchen People. There's this big blue, binder style baking book that's wonderful. I liked a crockpot book I got out recently but had to return before getting to try out too many things.

RachelEve14

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:37 am
I also have Joy of Cooking. If you use your slow cooker a lot, there is a vegetarian cookbook I really like.

Looking at the pictures, I also have that Better HOmes and Gardens. It's the first cookbook I ever bought, but I rarely use it now.

imamama

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 1:42 am
Moosewood. I have the low-fat favorites one, but I've heard good stuff about the others, too.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:17 am
I love better homes and gardens. Not only does it have great recipes, it has loads of charts of information on how long to cook meat, poultry and vegetables. And it has nutrition information.

I need to replace mine because it is falling apart. Are all the editions the same? I bought mine new in 1999.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:41 am
I have some books from the Sunset series. I don't know if they are still in print.
Every single thing I cook from this series comes out great.

I also use on-line recipes a lot. I like allrecipes.com.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:10 am
+1 to both the Moosewood books (ALL their soups are amazing -- the onion soup, Hungarian Mushroom, Gypsy soup, cream of asparagus, minestrone...), and to allrecipes.com. I like being able to read user reviews and tweak suggestions.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:20 am
I had Joy of Cooking a long time ago. I know they made newer editions since then, so I don't know if anything was changed. It's a good thorough reference for cooking, but really not to my style, or today's "meals in minutes" type of cooking for a busy lifestyle. For example it recommends sifting flour 3 times for cakes, or gives detailed directions for the food prep.

I tend to take secular cookbooks out of libraries. I don't like to buy them, because so many of the recipes are not usable for kosher cooks.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 10:49 am
DrMom wrote:
I have some books from the Sunset series. I don't know if they are still in print.
Every single thing I cook from this series comes out great.

I also use on-line recipes a lot. I like allrecipes.com.

if you have an android or iphone you can get an allrecipes app.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 11:14 am
Simple1 wrote:

I tend to take secular cookbooks out of libraries.

Me, too, me, too, but change it to "cookbooks, period". I own all of three cookbooks, all of them gifts from immediate family, and I use at most half a dozen recipes from each. If that. The recipes I use regularly are all handwritten or pasted into a notebook that is bursting at the seams and may soon have to go into a second "printing". I take both kosher and secular cookbooks out of the library, photocopy a dozen or so recipes from each that sound good, actually try two or three, and maybe keep one that becomes part of my repertoire. Why clutter up my nonexistent book space with entire volumes for the sake of a handful of recipes? Besides, I get recipes from all over: magazines, online, emails from friends, so the notebook is my go-to, working cookbook.

However, I think every novice cook should have one good, basic but comprehensive cookbook that includes chapters on kitchen and food safety, sanitation, utensils and so on in addition to recipes. The best ones are secular.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 12:38 pm
Here's a fun book worth getting out of the library to check out if you want to buy it: Casserole Crazy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics