Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How do I get these chores done?
1  2  Next

morah

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:07 pm
Baby is 3 months, so not yet sitting up/consistently holding head up. So:

How do I take him grocery shopping? I can't push both the stroller and the cart, he can't sit in the cart yet. I don't drive, so I can't put him in the cart in his car seat because I need somewhere to put the snap n go frame. DH recently started a job and can no longer do the shopping (which he did until he started last week). So how do I get groceries?

How do I do laundry? I live on the top floor of a walk-up, washer and dryer are in the basement. It's hard enough to schlep the laundry, it's basically impossible with the baby in a carrier (I am very petite if you must know). I don't feel comfortable with leaving him alone upstairs. I feel bad pushing this chore on DH (except for bringing it up when it's all done at the end of the day). Would it be weird if I asked my neighbor to watch the baby while I did laundry?

SorGold

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:10 pm
groceries...most car seats snap onto the front of shopping carts.

laundry...wear the baby, wait until dh is home at night or do it on weekends,

In the kitchen

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:12 pm
Groceries: can they deliver? or can you go more frequently so that you only need a few items and you can go with the stroller while hanging the carry basket on the stroller handle?

Laundry: Well im yirtze Hashem in good health you laundry for the family will only increase, so the best thing would be to find an apartment where you can have your own washer machine at least. I know moving is a shlep and difficult etc. but laundry is something you do all the time and it is a huge shlep to go to the basement with it...you can't leave the baby alone and asking a neighbor won't be too practical.

b'hatzlacha! I hope everything works out well for you!

wtvr

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:13 pm
Maybe there's a place at the front of the store, or at the courtesy desk that you can leave the snap and go frame? Or what if u fold it and put it under the wagon?

Or maybe fax in your order for delivery.

hop613

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:20 pm
put your groceries in the basket of the snap n go-you can fit a bunch of stuff under there.

intrigued

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:25 pm
I used to shop with a snap and go and cart no problem. I had the cart in front of me and with my other hand I pulled the stroller from the front with the car seat handle. I would make sure to go at quiet times though as it takes room and could be in people's way.

Laundry, maybe you can wait for Dh to come and when the baby is asleep so he can look after the baby when you do it or if he prefers he should do it.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:35 pm
I suppose I can make more frequent, smaller trips to the store until he's big enough to sit in the cart- around what age can I expect that?

I suppose I can also just do the laundry at night when hubby is home, but that's annoying. Actually, doing laundry ever is annoying when the washer and dryer are not in the apartment. The difference is, pre-baby, we could get away with once in 2 weeks; now we're lucky if we can make it just once in 2 days...

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:41 pm
can you leave the baby sleeping with a moniter? just run down with the load presorted and ready to dump into the machine- it shouldnt take that long. and then go back down in an hour (or however long your machine takes) with your awake baby- cause then you prob have to spend a little more time. or show dh how to do it. if he was ever in yeshiva he should probably know the basics...

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:44 pm
Car seats on wagons aren't safe. Google for videos if you want to be convinced.

I highly recommend wearing your baby. My ERGO baby carrier saved my life LOL.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 3:48 pm
When I do the shopping alone, I put the car seat in the big part and the groceries in the smaller part on top. I feel like I cant see over the top. It also feels alot safer.

morah

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:11 pm
Busydev- he's perfectly capable of doing the laundry, but he works very long hours now- I feel bad asking him.

Saw- I have a carrier, always thought I would be a baby-wearer, but it ended up not working out so well. He's big little guy like his abba, and I'm very small. I can't wear him for that long.

busydev

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:33 pm
another thought- re the laundry... can you carry him down (with the carrier) and then put him into a bouncer or even the laundry basket with a towel or something??

and can the frame of the snap and go fit into the cart (either the bottom or the cart part?)

morah

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 4:54 pm
I've never noticed whether the carts have a bottom compartment. Something to check out. The annoying thing about the laundry is having to go down to put it in, down again to put it in the dryer, and then down a third time to bring it back up. Add baby into that, it's that much worse.

Inspired

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:02 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Car seats on wagons aren't safe. Google for videos if you want to be convinced.

I highly recommend wearing your baby.
Thumbs Up

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:12 pm
are you shopping in one of those huge supermarkets? where I live, the stores are small and heimish and everyone leaves their babies in the strollers at the front of the store and checks in on them every few minutes. (there's no room to push strollers and carts down the tiny aisles anyway.) and you can definitely leave a baby monitor on, go downstaris and throw in a load, and come back up.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:19 pm
I did small trips and got whatever I could fit into the basket at the bottom. Even now, with a toddler, when I'm walking to the store with a stroller I can't get more than fits into the basket. If you drive you obviously have more options. Or, like others said, wear the baby if you are both comfortable with that. Mine did not like it, so it wasn't an option.

Laundry is a pain. When we didn't have machines in the apt, I used to do laundry at night when dh was home for the baby (or he went). It's not fun to save it all for that hour, though.

newmother

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 5:45 pm
I always used the snap and go basket and if I had more groceries than that I would use the shopping cart baskets that you carruy. Baruch hashem the grocery store I go to delivers! It was so annoying when ds stopped fitting in the car seat and I had to switch to a regular stroller with a smaller basket

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:13 pm
morah wrote:
Baby is 3 months, so not yet sitting up/consistently holding head up. So:

How do I take him grocery shopping? I can't push both the stroller and the cart, he can't sit in the cart yet. I don't drive, so I can't put him in the cart in his car seat because I need somewhere to put the snap n go frame. DH recently started a job and can no longer do the shopping (which he did until he started last week). So how do I get groceries?

How do I do laundry? I live on the top floor of a walk-up, washer and dryer are in the basement. It's hard enough to schlep the laundry, it's basically impossible with the baby in a carrier (I am very petite if you must know). I don't feel comfortable with leaving him alone upstairs. I feel bad pushing this chore on DH (except for bringing it up when it's all done at the end of the day). Would it be weird if I asked my neighbor to watch the baby while I did laundry?

I would do the laundry when DH is home. Otherwise, even if you don't ordinarily wear the baby, do so for laundry trips. Also, if you pay for laundry, consider whether its more cost effective to buy more clothes for baby than to do laundry more frequently. Don't shlep back upstairs over and over. Its the perfect time for a short stroll with baby.

Does your local store deliver? Some stores will deliver your bags for a small fee, which would definitely be worth your while when you have large items, like gallons of milk or laundry detergent. In the store, you could wear the baby, again. Or do you have a stroller with a large bottom basket? Use that instead of a cart.

worldpeace

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:25 pm
Allfreshkosher.com

Its the best thing that ever happened to me;)
Shop for ur food online!

worldpeace

Post Tue, Jul 05 2011, 6:27 pm
Definitely buy more clothes if u can..for baby.
Why diong laundry every 2 days??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics